how do i know if im singing in key

Regster

Reaction score
I suck when I sing, but I want to become better how do I know if I'm singing in key?

I mean when I sing I just sing I don't even know if Im singing in key or not so I want to fix this problem

Simplest test would be to record yourself singing with your ukulele
onto you PC.All you need is a PC Mic and they start very cheap and
go to...what you want to spend! Listen back to the Mp3/Wav that
you have recorded;if your voice sounds in the same key as the uke
then you are on the way! Practice,practice, practice!

I personally sing to my wife... if she grimaces then we know that there is something wrong.

I'm glad you asked this question as I have wondered about it for some time. I'm interested to hear what others say about this....

I find it is easier to sing in a couple keys and I assume that is my vocal range (an extremely limited range at that). Finally, I decided that I am singing in key if I am having so much fun that I forget to be self conscious (regardless of any validity in said belief)!

I tend to serve a lot of adult drinks to others in the room. It seems my singing improves greatly as the night goes on...........

Aren't the tomatoes flying at you a sure sign?

I agree 100% with the "record yourself and then listen" suggestion. Sometimes when I am practicing and think I am in a zone and sounding wonderful I record myself. It almost always deflates my bubble, but every once in a while I almost sound ok.

If your dog howls, covers his/her ears, or simply leave the room you are singing off key.

Singing in key means you are singing the same notes as the key you are playing in. Say you are playing in the key of C (all the white notes on the piano starting from one C to the next C. If in the melody the note is say a D and you sing it a little flat (Db) or a little sharp (D#) you are singing off key. Hope this makes sense. Practising with a piano is a great way to help your singing. You need to be able to hear the melody in order for you to imitate it.

..how do I know if I'm singing in key?
Usually my dog lets me know. She howls. She does that a lot when I play, however, so either I'm a really, really bad singer or the sound of the high pitched strings hurts her ears....

Look online for books, courses and even YouTube videos on voice training. Most people who sing poorly do so because they lack training. Even a few basic lessons can improve your ability considerably.

This can be a tricky question...

I agree with the recording. That definitely helps.

Singing "in key" is a hard determination to make since so many things can affect what note you are singing in any key. Add to that the modulations (change of key) that can happen in music and you'll find yourself confused without some sort of grounding.

A good first step to developing your ear as a vocalist is to learn a major (Ionian) scale and start singing it. I would suggest C since it fits the ukulele particularly well. Play and sing along to the notes C D E F G A B C. Try to match each pitch as you go up and then back down the scale. After some time, find some simple melody lines that you can play and sing along with.

It always helps to get another person's opinion and ear on things like this. I would suggest you ask your church's (that is, if you attend) music director and see if they would be willing to coach you even just a little. Their input will likely be invaluable as you develop your ear.

~DB

I personally sing to my wife... if she grimaces then we know that there is something wrong.

This works for me as well

The wife works for me too. She tells me when I sound good, saying you need to do that song. And when I'm bad she'll say you don't need to ever sing that song again. She pictures herself as Simon Cowl. I have a new band and we are learning new songs and doing harmonies. My wife always listens from back in the bedroom. One night we worked on singing Amazing Grace to the eagles Seven Bridges Road. I couldn't wait to go back after we finished to get her review. She said it was great we need to be doing it. She was all excited. The next week we worked on stand by me. I thought it wasn't to bad. She told me we didn't need to do that song. It didn't sound good.
So the wife works for me.

You can check yourself with your tuner, provided it has a mic and is not just vibration, clip on type. I'll sometimes do this just to see if I'm hitting the note I'm aiming for...

Actually, I think people training in singing will sing to a tuner to train at being in tune. I've looked at a little one singing training, and I should pay more attention to it since I think as a prospective busker my voice is my "ace in the hole" my uke playing may never get beyond the Johnny Cash level.

Top Bottom