Restringing for the New Player

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
Yes, I saw a few videos about restringing. I checked out a few other how to sites. Until today, I had done one restringing of one string on a uke. Why just one? I forget why but I needed to.

So I decided to restring all 4 strings on my Eleuke today because the strings I had on just weren't crisp and zesty. My poor ring finger tip was hating life so.... it seemed why not? restring. pit crew.

1st question. How long is it typical that you need to restring your ukulele?

If I remember correctly, I bought my uke new with new Aquilas on it 5 weeks ago. That seems like a short time; but, I do confess to playing with different tunings and seeing what the rock limits were to the strings. The strings seemed to just get sluggish and the intonation went to hell in a handbasket in just one day.

So I put it off as long as I could but they were sounding like my whining exwife. I couldn't deal with it any longer.

2nd question. Do you restring one at a time to keep tension on the uke or do you take off all strings at once and restring from the bottom up?

3rd question. I put on Martin Fluorocarbons. Why don't I ever hear about these strings on this site? I put these on and wow!!!, I love them. I don't have these on any standard acoustic ukes yet; but, wow on the eleuke. The crispness was back. They really respond and they just feel right. Again, I am new but I never hear anybody talk about Martin uke strings. why?

4th question. I learned alot from this exercise. Where is my medal of honor? :D

Last edited:
Aloha SuzukHammer,
I put them on for a friend on a Martin style O soprano and his ukulele came to life again....
Not even close to the GHS strings he previously had on...Man was he sooo happy..Not
many people use them, but I think they're awesome too....MM Stan....

mm stan. you are awesome and so the Martin's must be awesome too.

Will I get this excited with other restringings? If so, I'm gonna open up a ukulele restringing shop down by the beach.

1st question. How long is it typical that you need to restring your ukulele?

If I remember correctly, I bought my uke new with new Aquilas on it 5 weeks ago. That seems like a short time; but, I do confess to playing with different tunings and seeing what the rock limits were to the strings. The strings seemed to just get sluggish and the intonation went to hell in a handbasket in just one day.

So I put it off as long as I could but they were sounding like my whining exwife. I couldn't deal with it any longer.
There is no set schedule, some guys change 'em every three months, monthly, after a gig. It all depends how long and how often you play, when the strings don't stay in tune, they just sound flat and crappy.

2nd question. Do you restring one at a time to keep tension on the uke or do you take off all strings at once and restring from the bottom up?
Again, no set rule. Change all four at once or one at a time. Set your own preference as to which one you wanna change first.

3rd question. I put on Martin Fluorocarbons. Why don't I ever hear about these strings on this site? I put these on and wow!!!, I love them. I don't have these on any standard acoustic ukes yet; but, wow on the eleuke. The crispness was back. They really respond and they just feel right. Again, I am new but I never hear anybody talk about Martin uke strings. why?
Martin strings, I don't like the feel of em, tone wise it's not bad but that's just me. Again, depends on your personal choice. If ya like em use em.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...in-Ukulele-Clear-Fluorocarbon-Soprano-Concert
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23222-Good-Ukulele-Strings

4th question. I learned alot from this exercise. Where is my medal of honor? :D
It's been submitted but not yet approved . . . how long can you tread water? LOL!

It's been submitted but not yet approved . . . how long can you tread water? LOL!

But listen.. I got all my stings to reel up top to bottom with no overlap. This includes having to redo string 3 which looked like a bad hair day.

Andd..... My number 1 string came loose at the knot on me not once, not twice, but 3 times..... no check that - 5 times. ..... ANd I didn't throw the ukulele anywhere nor did I mutter anything under my breath.

Surely, this can help expedite the date of the ceremony for me. SHouldn't I get a halo with that medal of honor?

3rd question. I put on Martin Fluorocarbons. Why don't I ever hear about these strings on this site? I put these on and wow!!!, I love them. I don't have these on any standard acoustic ukes yet; but, wow on the eleuke. The crispness was back. They really respond and they just feel right. Again, I am new but I never hear anybody talk about Martin uke strings. why?/QUOTE]

Can't answer your other questions, but here is a link to a Martin strings discussion:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?20542-Martin-strings

you are on a slippery slope now - you will be testing the myriad of other strings out there - trust me!

I change mine when I sense they are losing that zing - could be months depending on play - these things DO NOT deteriorate like steel acoustic strings.

I love Martin Flouros - but only on certain ukes - they brought my Mainland concert mahogany to life. Never tried them on Eleuke, but I did have great success on one of those with Aquilas - they work great.
(I too dont like Martin Nylons, but the Flouros are sweet)

But listen.. I got all my stings to reel up top to bottom with no overlap. This includes having to redo string 3 which looked like a bad hair day.

Andd..... My number 1 string came loose at the knot on me not once, not twice, but 3 times..... no check that - 5 times. ..... ANd I didn't throw the ukulele anywhere nor did I mutter anything under my breath.

Surely, this can help expedite the date of the ceremony for me. SHouldn't I get a halo with that medal of honor?

Did your knot really come loose that many times?

Thanks for the link telebob. I was using my head phones and the new strings were just crisp compared to the worn out Aquilas. If they sound this clean, I can't wait to put it on the amp. You know because the Aquilas were so bad, I really really had to better the fingering to get a good sound and that might have helped that great sound once the new strings were on.

Yes, that #1 string was a greased pig. I tried 2 wraps on the loop, then 3 wraps then tried to put the largest knot and just use the hole and it still slipped through. So I built up the knot up some more like a brillo pad and put that behind 4 wraps of that loop and that montrosity has held. My 2 string looks precarious as it seems to have slipped a bit and I cut the end too short. Like I said, it was a good learning experience. The big 3 string just needed 2 wraps and its good to go.

I found Martins slippy on my Mainland (though that may have been exaggerated by the fact mine is the slotted head model - just flat tubes for the pegs with no shaping - needed extra knot at bridge and knots at the pegs. I never need to knot Aquilas, and just pass back through hole once for security.

( I dislike knotting at the peg end - you will see why when you break a string and try to change it quickly in a gig or jam - you have a tight loop knotted on - anyone got any scissors??!!)

Top Bottom