Report: 6th Annual Mid Atlantic Ukulele Invitational

RON<>VA

Reaction score
Last week I traveled from my home in Richmond, Va to Annapolis, Md. to attend the 6th Annual Mid-Atlantic Ukulele Invitational. Being new to the uke world, I had never attended any event like this. It was excellent. And the musical artist were exceptional. Just a few quick highlights:

First, Victoria Vox was the MC for the evening concert and sang some of her music. I am sure many of you know who she is but I had never heard of her. If you want to hear some of Victoria's music, check her out on Youtube. I bought her album - Victoria Vox and her Jumping Flea - which has some very nice selections. Vox does Iz's Somewhere Over the Rainbow. One of her own songs - America - is really beautiful.

David Means (Luthier-glyphukulele) was there with a workshop on Uke construction. There were also a number of workshops on chord melody, fingerstyle uke, uke licks and tricks, singing and strumming, etc. Some other musical guest were Patsy Monteleone, Gerald Ross, Curt Sheller, Gordon & Debi Velasco and others. Also featured were Tripping Lily and Bliss Blood. And, there was a fun Pit Band called Paint Branch Ramblers who did some neat music. Come to find out most of them were Phd Entomologist (bug people) from The University of Maryland. Very cool group.

And I have to give out some glory to The Ukulele Shop (Rob Deel) from the Richmond area. Some of you have done business with Rob on his ebay ukulele store. He was one of the sponsors and brought up a whole big trailer full of ukes of all types and put on display for sale. I had been talking with Rob by phone before the event and had every intention of buying a tenor Lanakai from him. He had a friend there from N.J. who was selling his tenor Hamano H-100T. Rob talked me out of buying his own product and said, for the budget I was working with, I would be better off with this Hamano. (Developed using the same design principles, materials, and knowledge from the 1920’s, each is a faithful reproduction of the most popular models of that time. Every detail has been considered and faithfully replicated from the vintage originals. Solid mahogany is used for the body and neck, while, true to their vintage predecessors; rosewood is used for the bridge and fingerboard.) And the friend had put on high quality guitar strings-low G. The uke is in perfect condition, not a scratch on it. And has a beautiful sound-even with my very elementary playing ability.
I will try to upload some pics of the Annapolis event and of my new uke later. Sorry for the long-winded post, but wanted to share some of the good stuff going on - yes, on the EAST COAST!;)

-Ron

Pic's from M.A.U.I. (mid-atlantic ukulele invitational)

Patsy Monteleone

CopyofP1010795.jpg

Yea, I feel your pain. I am a little uke lonely here in Richmond. The folks who sponsored this event are the Metropolitan Ukulele Association. I believe they are an active uke group from the general Maryland, D.C., Northern Virginia area. Their web site is: www.metroukeassoc.org

Wow! The body on Patsy's uke is tiny!

Did you get to play the Glyph? I'd love to visit his shop.

Thanks for the write-up and pics. Congrats on the new ukulele.

turns out my new uke teacher played at MAUI, his name is J. Denhard. I really wish i was able to go, but had to study for finals. looked up PBR, their really good.

the wood on that uke is a real piece, the stripes are amazing. Great buy.

Sounds like a fantastic time, Ron! Thanks for posting those great pictures. And congratulations on your new uke. I really hope I get a chance to see Gerald Ross live someday; he's one of my most favorite ukulele players, with a style all his own. :nana:

No deach, did not get a chance to play the Glyph. They were raffling one off that day. Don't know who won it. I'm sitting by the phone a week later still waiting for the call telling me I won it! haha :rolleyes:

Wow! The body on Patsy's uke is tiny!

Did you get to play the Glyph? I'd love to visit his shop.

Thanks for the write-up and pics. Congrats on the new ukulele.

Top Bottom