Jonathan Mann Steel String Electric Ukulele

jerickson

Reaction score
Thought I'd share the new electric ukulele that I'm having built. I'll post pics as I get them from the luthier.

Jonathan Mann is the luthier building this ukulele for me. He is very well known in the mandolin community and is becoming very interested in the ukulele community! He builds custom instruments styled after PRS, Les Pauls and Teles. His electric mandolins are very well regarded (which is how I found out about him) and he seems eager to use his skills to build my custom PRS style steel-string ukulele.

Features: Neck-through curly maple and cherry neck, cherry body wings, highly figured flame maple top, curly maple fingerboard with abalone inlays. The top will be stained deep blue with a natural flamed maple binding. The finish will be glossy nitro lacquer. Dimarzio dual rail humbuckers with coil-tapping push/pull volume and tone knobs. Wrap-around PRS-styled bridge. Sperzel locking tuners. All hardware will be chrome.

I'm sure there are traditionalists that will be asking "why?" or saying that it is "really not a uke". That's ok, and I understand that view, but i love playing uke and love the idea that I can play all of the electric guitar riffs, solos, etc. in my christian rock band without having to learn all of the new chord shapes, etc. Also, it will be very unique!!! And if that get more people interested in playing ukulele, all the better.

If you want to check out Jon Mann's website go to: http://www.manndolins.com

Here are the most current photos: Mann Ukulele 5..JPGMann Ukulele3..jpgMann Ukulele1..JPGMann Ukulele 7..JPGMann Ukulele 6..JPG

Here are the last 2 pics for now.

Mann Ukulele 6..JPGMann Ukulele 4..JPG

I'll post more as I get them!

Will it be GCEA tuning? HOw do you source the strings?

Wait until kissing sees this thread....

Will it be GCEA tuning? HOw do you source the strings?

Yes, it'll be GCEA tuning on a tenor scale (17"). The strings can be had either through RISA or I think I'm just going to get individual electric guitar strings in the proper guages. Mr. Mann will let me know what those string guages are when he is done and I'll share them with whoever may be interested. I'm guessing but I'm pretty sure that the strings are strings 1-4 (high to low) in a guitar set.

Jon

Wait until kissing sees this thread....

That's what I was thinking!!! I know he'll appreciate the thread. I'm hoping that the UU mods will start a section on the forum for electric ukulele enthusiasts to discuss effects, amps and solid body ukuleles....both steel string and nylon. Not sure if its necessary or not but its my wish.

New pics!!! The top and headstock have now been stained and 2 coats of sealer have been applied. He will start building the levels of finish today. That should magnify the 3D effect of the curls in the top and headstock. I can't wait to get my hands on this!!!

Mann Ukulele 8..JPGMann Ukulele 9..JPGMann Ukulele 10..JPG

Wow! that looks absolutely beautiful! Lucky bleeder.

Very, very nice. Congrats!

I really like the blue. It's so pretty!

Mann Ukulele11.JPGMann Ukulele12.JPG

Here are the latest pics. All lacquer has been sprayed. Now it has to cure for a bit before the finish is buffed to a high gloss and the hardware is installed. Hopefully I'll have it in a few weeks. So close that it is like torture to see the pics!!!! :drool:

Wow!@!# This is fantastic! :D

Electric ukuleles are becoming more and more developed into new forms.

I'm all for electric ukuleles, and I use them for the same purpose:
i love playing uke and love the idea that I can play all of the electric guitar riffs, solos, etc. in my christian rock band without having to learn all of the new chord shapes, etc. Also, it will be very unique!!! And if that get more people interested in playing ukulele, all the better.

They also have quite a different playability to electric guitars, and also a different sound. Despite having the same kind of strings and pickups, I have heard many comments that the uke has a crisper bite to the tone, which I believe arises from the shorter scale length. I believe that it has uke-characteristics not found on guitars.

And seriously, there is no cooler instrument than an electric ukulele. I think when people see one for the first time, there is always a mind boggling sensation of "They exist?!".
Congrads on the fantastic new uke! I look forward to seeing it in video!

I also think there should be a dedicated subforum to electric ukuleles. It is certainly a growing area of ukuleles that I believe would be even more promoted and better discussed if there was a dedicated section for them :)

Meanwhile, I got a new steel string electric too recently, from Risa. The older model they have (semi-hollow with the single coil pickups, shaped like a kidney bean).
I don't have it with me at the moment, because I'm getting it setup and fitted with DGBE tuning as a baritone.

ps: What I would like to see next is an Electric uke with a Whammy bar ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Kissing! Your review of the Risa Les Paul was the inspiration for finding a luthier that would build a steel-string ukulele in the style of Paul Reed Smith. He will soon be building a Les Paul style single cutaway and a Fender Telecaster style for me.

Is your new Risa a tenor that you are re-stringing to baritone tuning? That is an interesting thought as you'll have lower notes available for rock/metal riffing!

I would love it if someone (Floyd Rose, hint hint) would produce a four string tremolo set up. Unfortunately, I'm sure there is not enough interest to be profitable. We can dream though.

I will do a video review once I figure out how to post a video. I guess I'll finally have to join the youtube movement!

Keep in touch!

Jon

Top Bottom