My "Who Uklele"

deepeepee

Reaction score
My "Who kulele"

The final product of a school holiday project between my daughter and I. It started life as a white sparkly Makala dolphin. Now restrung with a set of Worths " I have Aquilas on my others and wanted to compare playability" Might have to do another now though, I enjoyed it so much....sad but true.

Attachments

• finished 4..jpg
    finished 4..jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 150
  • finished 2..jpg
    finished 2..jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 134
  • finished 3..jpg
    finished 3..jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 114
  • finished 1..jpg
    finished 1..jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 127
  • angle 1..jpg
    angle 1..jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
genius - love it!

What paint did you use, and did you put a varnish coat on to protect chipping?

Did you sand it? the back of that neck looks like wood - my Makala dolphin neck is the colour of the body

I used enamels for the colouring, and the whole thing has had a couple of coats of ultra tough hardglaze, I will give it a couple of weeks to cure properly then cut it back. I sanded the original body which allowed my daughter to draw the outlines with a pencil. I stripped the paint off the neck and headstock and gave it a coat of woodstain just to warm it up a little, but to be honest that was personal choice, the wood was a pretty good colour underneath the paint anyway.

So, this was a wooden Dolphin, as opposed to the plasic-backed version?

looking in sound hole it looks plastic to me

No this is the plastic backed version, the neck and top are wood. I have another dolphin which I play frequently, at the shop they had a choice of the wood backed and plastic backed, the plastic ones sounded a little warmer and a good deal louder to me.

EXTERNIMATE! EXTERMINATE! Still trying to get used to the new Doctor. Awesome job, naming her the Tardis? ;D

I'm so jealous - that's awesome!

I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but that really is excellent work right here. Well done!

Nice job on the Dolphin Uke! I have always wanted to do a custom paint job on a uke. I haven't been inspired enough to take action yet. Interesting to hear the details of the project. Do you think the paint changed the sound of the uke?

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking of a different "Who". I was thinking I would see a smashed uke like "The Who's" Pete Townshend might present.

–Lori

Nice job on the Dolphin Uke! I have always wanted to do a custom paint job on a uke. I haven't been inspired enough to take action yet. Interesting to hear the details of the project. Do you think the paint changed the sound of the uke?

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking of a different "Who". I was thinking I would see a smashed uke like "The Who's" Pete Townshend might present.

–Lori

Lori, I have another Dolphin and have to say that the sound does not appear to have changed at all, but then I was really surprised how much paint was on the one I stripped down. I actually dont think there is any more on it now than there was originally. This was literally a spur of the moment thing at the start of the school hols. My daughter was originally going to do a manga theme but changed her mind at the last moment. I may well do another with a more serious theme or design, a little more mature perhaps and now I have had a practice I may well improve my painting skills. With the Dolphins only coming in at £19.99 I might make one and stick it on e bay as a unique design. I have already had a couple of friends offer me £50 for the Doctor Who version so you never know.:D

That. Is. AWESOME! It's two of my favorite things all rolled up into one! :D Amazing paint job!

cool! I was expecting pictures of The Who, but instead it was Dr Who. What a nice surprise!

Nice Work! Good thing you didn't paint a Weeping Angel on it, because, you know, anything that holds the image of an angel itself becomes an angel. ;)

This should be your next paint job. I would buy it. The weeping angels are my favorite. :)

Great job! It's really sharp looking!

We are currently working on a Love and Peace uke....very colourful....passes the time....this one is going on ebay. We have started on the back this time and are painting the neck instead of stripping it.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom