PDA

View Full Version : My "Who Uklele"

deepeepee
08-10-2010, 08:26 AM
The final product of a school holiday project between my daughter and I. It started life as a white sparkly Makala dolphin. Now restrung with a set of Worths " I have Aquilas on my others and wanted to compare playability" Might have to do another now though, I enjoyed it so much....sad but true.

bazmaz
08-10-2010, 08:31 AM
genius - love it!

What paint did you use, and did you put a varnish coat on to protect chipping?

Did you sand it? the back of that neck looks like wood - my Makala dolphin neck is the colour of the body

deepeepee
08-10-2010, 08:38 AM
I used enamels for the colouring, and the whole thing has had a couple of coats of ultra tough hardglaze, I will give it a couple of weeks to cure properly then cut it back. I sanded the original body which allowed my daughter to draw the outlines with a pencil. I stripped the paint off the neck and headstock and gave it a coat of woodstain just to warm it up a little, but to be honest that was personal choice, the wood was a pretty good colour underneath the paint anyway.

mailman
08-10-2010, 08:44 AM
So, this was a wooden Dolphin, as opposed to the plasic-backed version?

bazmaz
08-10-2010, 08:47 AM
looking in sound hole it looks plastic to me

deepeepee
08-10-2010, 08:49 AM
No this is the plastic backed version, the neck and top are wood. I have another dolphin which I play frequently, at the shop they had a choice of the wood backed and plastic backed, the plastic ones sounded a little warmer and a good deal louder to me.

Ahnko Honu
08-10-2010, 10:00 AM
EXTERNIMATE! EXTERMINATE! Still trying to get used to the new Doctor. Awesome job, naming her the Tardis? ;D

UKISOCIETY
08-10-2010, 10:13 AM
2 of my loves in one neat package. Awesome!

JT_Ukes
08-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Love Love Love it

Its Timey wimy ookie ukeie!

redheadedali
08-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm so jealous - that's awesome!

MartinLil
08-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Wow! That is one sweet looking dolphin!!

byjimini
08-10-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but that really is excellent work right here. Well done!

Lori
08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Nice job on the Dolphin Uke! I have always wanted to do a custom paint job on a uke. I haven't been inspired enough to take action yet. Interesting to hear the details of the project. Do you think the paint changed the sound of the uke?

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking of a different "Who". I was thinking I would see a smashed uke like "The Who's" Pete Townshend might present.

–Lori

mm stan
08-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Aloha Deepeepee,
That looks totally awesome, good job man!! thanks for sharing....
MM Stan..

deepeepee
08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Nice job on the Dolphin Uke! I have always wanted to do a custom paint job on a uke. I haven't been inspired enough to take action yet. Interesting to hear the details of the project. Do you think the paint changed the sound of the uke?

When I read the title of this thread, I was thinking of a different "Who". I was thinking I would see a smashed uke like "The Who's" Pete Townshend might present.

–Lori

Lori, I have another Dolphin and have to say that the sound does not appear to have changed at all, but then I was really surprised how much paint was on the one I stripped down. I actually dont think there is any more on it now than there was originally. This was literally a spur of the moment thing at the start of the school hols. My daughter was originally going to do a manga theme but changed her mind at the last moment. I may well do another with a more serious theme or design, a little more mature perhaps and now I have had a practice I may well improve my painting skills. With the Dolphins only coming in at £19.99 I might make one and stick it on e bay as a unique design. I have already had a couple of friends offer me £50 for the Doctor Who version so you never know.:D

shwee
08-11-2010, 09:24 AM
That. Is. AWESOME! It's two of my favorite things all rolled up into one! :D Amazing paint job!

solrac
08-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Nice Work! Good thing you didn't paint a Weeping Angel on it, because, you know, anything that holds the image of an angel itself becomes an angel. ;)

farmerboy
08-20-2010, 01:08 AM
cool! I was expecting pictures of The Who, but instead it was Dr Who. What a nice surprise!

Skitzic
08-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Nice Work! Good thing you didn't paint a Weeping Angel on it, because, you know, anything that holds the image of an angel itself becomes an angel. ;)

This should be your next paint job. I would buy it. The weeping angels are my favorite. :)

Great job! It's really sharp looking!

deepeepee
08-20-2010, 02:15 AM
We are currently working on a Love and Peace uke....very colourful....passes the time....this one is going on ebay. We have started on the back this time and are painting the neck instead of stripping it.

smithpaul60
08-20-2010, 03:08 AM
me so jealous. I've just finished watching the entire series (1960-present), beautifully done.