Tuner bushing lifting

samtay6

Reaction score
So this may seem super petty and a non issue, but it's really the only thing wrong with my Kamoa Uke and it's annoying the heck out of me.

The bushing (or whatever you call the metal ring around the tuning post on the headstock) for the E string is slightly lifted and not flush on the neck side, enough that there is a slight gap between the bushing and the headstock.

I know this probably isn't an issue at all, but I was just wondering if it's an easy fix to just pop it back to it's flush position.

Should I just use a clamp with enough force to shove it in, or it more technical than that? Do I run the risk of cracking the headstock?

Oh and if it makes a difference they are friction tuners.

Call the company and get another one, should be really inexpensive anyways...Maybe more for postage...he he
Good Luck!! MM Stan...

The bushing should fit snug and flush with the headstock, but you should be able to get it there with just finger pressure. If you do not have a tapered reamer, a small dowel with some sand paper around it can be used to enlarge the hole. But take it very slowly, if the hole is too big you may get buzzes from the loose bushing. The idea is the hole should be just large enough that you can shove it into place with your thumb.

Brad

Ok, I took the tuner off to get a look at the bushing. When I peeked inside the tuner hole I couldn't see the rest of the bushing at all, almost like they just sit glued onto the top of the headstock face. I always assumed tuner bushings were all like this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_parts/1920s-style_Tuner_Bushings.html?tab=Pictures#details. The ones on the kamoa have no part that extends into the hole.

I tried forcing it down with my thumb, and even with some clamps and it wasn't budging.

Maybe they got glued on crooked?

I agree with Stan. If your ukulele is under warranty, get the company to fix it. If you attempt to fix the flaw yourself, you might void the warranty. Thus, if there are anymore structural flaws that manifest in the future, the warranty will still be active. Also, if the self fix doesn't work out or you get too forceful, you might accidentally gouge the finish.

Don't believe it's under warranty anymore unfortunately.

Anyways, I've pretty much determined it's a cosmetic thing, and a VERY small one at that. I think I'm just gonna learn to live with it.

Top Bottom