It's official, I'm getting a custom uke!

thejumpingflea

Reaction score
Now that I have determined a size (soprano), maker (MP Ukuleles) and a price limit ($1000) and now I need your help! I need to find the perfect wood. I want a warm, but on the brighter side sound that fits a style of primarily quick strumming. Any tips? Who here has custom ukes and what do you like about the woods you chose? Got any sound clips?

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate your help in this matter!

I just played a Howlett London Plane that matches your description. In fact it's the only soprano I've played that I can do fingerstyle on.

But that's a Howlett and you're looking for an MP. And I don't have sound clips because it was a prototype. I'm sure Mike would know what wood combo would give you the sound you want.

I'm sure Mike would know what wood combo would give you the sound you want.

Ditto.

One of the most difficult things a builder faces, is a client that comes in saying "I want this sound, or that tone, and I want it built with this wood and that soundboard," because others told him so. Sometimes they may be right on the money with wood and string combinations, but the variable is the builder, and what he/she does with bracing, graduations, etc.

Your question should be asked to Mike, and not here.

Hey congrats for your first custom uke!!!! And even more a MP custom!!!!! I'm saying that since Mike just finished my first custom too......and already shipped it.......I should receive it......euhhh today or at the beginning of next week!!!!

I'll post the pics soon.......All I can say is that it looks gorgeous and from what Mike says....it sounds killer too.......so I just can't wait to receive it to play with it......

As for what you're asking as suggestions.... You should ask Mike for the sounding...just let him know what you want and he will suggest you you....You will see....Mike is simply a pure pleasure to deal with.....And he has a very good artistic sense...so not even he will suggest you what will sound good but what will look good also!!!

In the mean time.....well here's what he did for me if it can help you....

MP custom. Redwood top / Padauk sides and back

DSC03540-correct.jpg

so far, ive only seen customs for well over a grand, but which style of MP's did you want?

An MP is a great choice, Jumpingflea! Mine just keeps sounding better and better. As the others here have recommended, I'd suggest you talk to Mike to figure out what wood combo will work best for you. :D Establishing a relationship with a luthier, getting to know his construction philosophy, build preferences, and such, is half the fun of ordering a custom ukulele.

BTW, Fumanshu, your concert looks awesome! :) I look forward to hearing your thoughts upon its safe arrival.

Last edited:
Now that I have determined a size (soprano), maker (MP Ukuleles) and a price limit ($1000) and now I need your help! I need to find the perfect wood. I want a warm, but on the brighter side sound that fits a style of primarily quick strumming. Any tips? Who here has custom ukes and what do you like about the woods you chose? Got any sound clips?

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate your help in this matter!

Did you discuss this with him? He might have something hiding in a private stash that would be perfect for your needs.

so far, ive only seen customs for well over a grand, but which style of MP's did you want?

That's a myth that all customs are über-expensive. I just got one that simply isn't, and yet looks like it's priceless... sounds like it too. I think that you can shave off the price if you loose a lot of the bling that does nothing for the sound.

Talking to the luthier about what you're looking for is a good tip. I think if you have a specific sound in mind, the luthier is probably the best/only person who can tell you what materials to use.

When I ordered my first custom, my recently received William King tenor, I wasn't looking for a specific sound but I knew I wanted a spruce top & koa back/side combination. William asked me what type of music I play and for some sound samples. I sent him a link to a video I have on Youtube and he said the instrument he'll build for me should suit me well. Now that I've had the King tenor for a couple of weeks, I couldn't imagine a more perfect ukulele for me. So, I believe a good luthier should come pretty close to what you're looking for. By all accounts, Mike Pereira is very good, so he should be able to give you what you want.

Have fun!

I have talked to Mike quite a bit and he has told me about various woods and their sounds. Why I posted this thread was to get some opinions of you guys that have ukes in these different woods and what you like and don't like about them.

I am leaning towards some different woods. (Redwood top: http://mpukuleles.com/wst_page2.php?idx=4&file=images/DSC00582.jpg&&ID2=UZa2bf and for the back either myrtlewood http://mpukuleles.com/wst_page2.php?ID2=UZa2bf&RowIdx=&idx=15&file=images/DSC01843.jpg or Maple http://mpukuleles.com/wst_page2.php?ID2=UZa2bf&RowIdx=&idx=8&file=images/DSC01043.jpg)

But nothing is for sure. Mike has told me what woods give what sounds, but I just wanted as many opinions as a I could. Thanks again for all the replies.

my $0.02,
i too, have an MP uke. it is a Pineapple Concert w/flamed Redwood top.
considering the price-point, and his wonderful craftsmanship you can't go wrong.
i like the Redwood top. it has a nice warm tone with just a smidgen of upper end bite.
the only negative thing i have to say is that Redwood is a very soft wood and prone to scratches.
Mike is great to deal with, and i'm saving my shekels for a mango concert.:rock:

Full on righteousness!
I wish I could afford a custom...

Top Bottom