PDA

View Full Version : EleUke "Uke Rock" Contest WINNERS

eleukeusa
08-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Hello Ukers,
Sorry it took us so long to get back to you, but we had a ton of debate on who should win and watched each video (over 80!) several times. I think that you could make an argument for each one of these to win. I wish we could have given out 80 ukes, but the money people wouldn't let me.

Also, the video is quite long because we enjoyed your entries so much that we thought it'd be cool to put them all in the video... so the first five and a half minutes are a recap... you shouldn't skip ahead. Pretend like I didn't just tell you where to skip to hear the winners.

To those that didn't win: You should have. Seriously, you all did a great job and I wish I had enough prizes to reward all the videos that wow'd me.

Thanks from everyone here at EleUkeUSA.com. Remember to enter the worldwide contest for thousands of dollars in cash prizes (http://www.eleukeusa.com/contest) (there are not a lot of entries right now, so your chances are good) and as always, hit us up on FaceBook (http://www.facebook.com/eleuke)... (we give stuff away there too sometimes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0_gL082sN8

Adie227
08-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Looks like i got a new uke, thank you soo much for an excellent competition.

I must say im suprised at some of the winners, but thank you none the less.

TicToc
08-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Congratulations everyone! Those dipped Ukulele's are absolutely amazing!

byzkarl
08-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Congrats to all the winners!

Those dipped eleukes are feeding my UAS.

lisaxy424
08-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Congrats winners, but WAY TO GO EVERYONE!!! It was so fun to watch the collage at the beginning, really great videos!

And, like everyone else, I peed a little when you held up those dipped ukes...*WANT* :)

eleukeusa
08-11-2010, 01:37 PM
Those dipped Ukulele's are absolutely amazing!

Those dipped eleukes are feeding my UAS.

And, like everyone else, I peed a little when you held up those dipped ukes...*WANT*
I'm glad you like them... we're a little hesitant to mass produce them though because the production cost is fairly significant.

TheGreenHat
08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Congratulations to all the winners. So many strong entries - well done everyone!

UkeFunTimer
08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Congrats Winners!!! As well as everyone else who entered!!

theukulelemedic
08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Well done winners! I think they were all really great choices as well :)

TicToc
08-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I'd pay a lot more simply to have them dipped like that.

SuzukHammer
08-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Congrats to the winners.

I'm surprised there was no Swimsuit competition and Mr/Miss Congeneality Winners.

Big_Fred
08-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Congratulations to the winners!

SamWonder
08-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Thank you to Eleuke and Ukulele Underground for organising this great competition. It was a pleasure being a part of it. I'm so stoked for all the prize winners but you are ALL winners in my eyes for even taking the time and effort to make a video. Maybe I'll see you around next time.

For those wanting to watch the top 4 winner videos here they are in order:
1st: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQFwdjvyynU
2nd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Z1uzTD1aA
3rd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbjCNoeQJ5Y
4th: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYANnCA9oGQ

Re dipped ukuleles - :drool:

Peace, Love and Ukulele,
Sam Wonder

masoncade
08-11-2010, 03:27 PM
eleuke might have to pay for a broken jaw, cuz when i saw those dipped ukes, it fell on the floor! those look amazingtastic! sooper congratulations to everyone who won something ((:

SmokeyStubbs
08-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Congratulations and kudos to all the winners and entrants, it's been a great contest.
Thanks UU and EleUke for putting this together.

Oh, and I want, no, I need one of them dipped ukes.
They are so beautiful. :drool:

musicmonsterw
08-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Wow!! It's finally over!! Congratulations, winners and everyone else that entered!!

Thanks, Eleuke for putting on the contest. It got me to push far past my comfort zone: in ukulele playing, in singing, and in multi-tracking a video. I am humbled also by the massive talent displayed by the entrants. Now that the contest is over, I can leisurely look at the entries I earmarked for further study.

I've learned one thing from this contest: a uke, a cable, and Garage Band (or similar substitute) and the Rock universe can be yours!

mrplatypus70
08-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Congrats to the winners, great contest. So many great entries, glad I did not have to pick winners.

masoncade
08-11-2010, 04:41 PM
NOOOOO!!!! i just realized i can't enter the contest! all i have is a kala and i have absolutely no money for a new uke, and won't be able to get any by then ))))))): oh well. it is their contest, and they chose the rules. good luck to everyone who enters (:

telebob
08-11-2010, 04:58 PM
an incredible calvacade of uke performances, at many levels of musicianship and all entertaining.... congrats to the winners. and to all who entered, i enjoyed watching the videos and listening to the songs.

Dougf
08-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Great contest, thank you Eleuke, and congrats to the winners, and kudos to all the contestants! There were several that I thought also deserved to win.

So I'm just wondering, could you give us an idea of things that might qualify as "significantly special"?

Doug

dianalele
08-11-2010, 05:10 PM
ahhhh I held my breath throughout that entire video. Which is pretty crazy considering its 13 minutes and 15 seconds long lol.

congratulations to all the winners, the tshirt winners, and the special dipped uke winners! (wow!)

And of course a big thanks to eleuke! I'm astounded by your generosity. I only wish I had a bit of money to buy myself a handsome ukulele boyfriend.

SkeeterAsada
08-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Congrats to all the winers, I'm mad jealous.
Hopefully one dayI'll save enough money to purchase an eleuke ouf my own.
hahaha.

ukeADDICTx
08-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Thank you and congrats to all winners and entries.

tumnusLOVE
08-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Oh my goodness. Thank you. Thank you so much. I am so grateful and surprised! Everyone did such an amazing job. Congrats to everyone and, again, thank you. I'm flattered and, once more, very grateful.

kissing
08-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Those dipped ukes are crazy o.O

ukeADDICTx
08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Thank you to Eleuke and Ukulele Underground for organising this great competition. It was a pleasure being a part of it. I'm so stoked for all the prize winners but you are ALL winners in my eyes for even taking the time and effort to make a video. Maybe I'll see you around next time.

For those wanting to watch the top 4 winner videos here they are in order:
1st: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQFwdjvyynU
2nd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Z1uzTD1aA
3rd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbjCNoeQJ5Y
4th: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYANnCA9oGQ

Re dipped ukuleles - :drool

Peace, Love and Ukulele,
Sam Wonder

I thought your vid was awesome. I would have liked to have seen your video in the top four. Great entry though!

thek
08-11-2010, 09:11 PM
OK!!! I can't sleep the whole night…;)
THANK YOU !!! I can't believe it !!
Can't wait to receive this incredible dipped uke…

I promises to continue experiment and play my ass off…

the K

sebi
08-11-2010, 09:48 PM
I promises to continue experiment and play my ass off…

the K

Congrats, mate. And yes, you better continue rockin' that uke. We need your awesomeness :)

sebi
08-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Congrats to the winners and to everyone who entered. This was a totally awesome contest with all totally awesome entries ^_^ Uke rock on!!! And thanks sooo much for the shirt!

happyslappysoong
08-11-2010, 11:04 PM
CONGRATS EVERYONE! Was fun to do, even if i didnt win this time =)

luke'nlele
08-12-2010, 12:01 AM
Congratulations to all the prize winners.
And, congratulations to everyone else who submitted an entry and just had a lot of fun doing it.
We had a blast! Thanks UU and Eleuke.

ukuleleninja
08-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Congratulations everyone. Thanks for a great contest and thanks for the t-shirt. :)

SparkyUkulele
08-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Congrats to the winners!! Thanks for the great contest :D I have to say that even though it didn't win, I still absolutely love Free Fallin' by rypeters5 - and a whole bunch of the other vids too, that really inspire me to get ukeing. So well done everyone for making this so much fun!

Sparky

ukeshale
08-12-2010, 02:30 AM
Congrats to the winners. Loads of great entries. Thanks to EleUke for putting up such generous prizes! Those dipped ukes are gorgeous.

the_ominator
08-12-2010, 04:02 AM
congratulations to all the winners. it was a really fun contest.

AnnaUK
08-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Congratulations to all the winners - there were some great entries here. The "mix tape" at the start was a genius idea and a great way to showcase all the entries.

Also, it was very generous of Eleuke to increase the number of prizes - that was a really nice thing to do :)

HOORAY FOR UKE PLAYERS :rock:

SamWonder
08-12-2010, 06:33 AM
I thought your vid was awesome. I would have liked to have seen your video in the top four. Great entry though!

Thanks mate. That's a really kind thing to say. I hope to continue to make videos. Simpler ones though so maybe subsribe to my channel or add me on Facebook if you haven't. This competition was a nice way for a simple old puppet like me to introduce myself. I'm hoping to record more soul/blues songs which is my loved genre so stay tuned.

As much as I would have liked a T-shirt, I don't think they would have it in my puppet size, so I'm glad someone else won those. Enjoy your prize and keep ukin'

Peace,
Sam

thiedebrothers
08-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Congrats to Everyone this was such a fun contest! The Recap video was fun to watch thanks for putting it together Eleuke.

Sweet we won 2nd Place!
Watch our Video Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Z1uzTD1aA

DanaC
08-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Congrats to the winners! Awesome contest!

Awww yeahhh, I won a shirt! :D

seeso
08-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Congratulations to all the winners! Hooray UU and Eleuke!

I must say im suprised at some of the winners, but thank you none the less.

There are ways to be gracious in victory. Your comment is not one of them.

Adie227
08-12-2010, 12:42 PM

Reading again, i could have worded that better. I saw a lot of really great videos that i expected to see win. I appreciate how difficult it was to decide the winners. Im really happy that i was amongst them.

Im very greatfull to Eleuke and UU for the contest,

Ade

masoncade
08-12-2010, 12:43 PM

lets all stay cool here (:

nickman2
08-12-2010, 05:19 PM

I think that no matter who won the contest or how they won, we should have all gained something from this contest. we probally all learned a new song or two and that's what the spirit of Ukulele is all about. Being mean about it isn't cool and forget about the prizes. "be good to others and good things will come to you."
Congradulations on all the winners of the contest and espesially the winners of the two dipped Ukes. they are really cool and unique instraments that will totally spread the spirit of ukulele. they look totally awesome and, if I could, I would love to have one (but that's probally not gonna happen). great contest everyone and thanks for the opportunity.

cocohonk
08-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Congrats to all the winners!

And thanks to everyone who entered. It's been a real treat watching all the videos!

emusicknight
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Those dipped ukes are freaking amazing. I would pay whatever it costs to get one.

Also.. tshirt options. I saw a request for a traditional uke, so if you're interested in a shirt, PM me to vote traditional or flying v:
http://erin.markerin.com/ukerock2.jpg http://erin.markerin.com/ukerock3.jpg

MagliteL13
08-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Congratulations to everyone-- not just the winners! I had tons of fun making a video, specially since it broke me out of my shell. (oh, and those dipped ukes are sweet!) Rock On!

ukeADDICTx
08-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I am gracious of winning, but I too was surprised at the winners. I saw videos that I expected to win and whom I thought were serious competition for me. I didn't expect to win, but I did. There were videos that I thought should have won based on the musician’s ability to play the ukulele and not just because they chose a song to sing while strumming away at the given chords on an ukulele (anyone can learn tabs and sing-along) or because they decided to make an elaborate video. Think about this-close your eyes while listening to any of the "uke rock" competitors and you will hear a difference between someone who can really use an ukulele to it’s full potential versus someone who just follows along with the chord progression. It seemed like the skill, as far as playing the ukulele is concerned, was not recognized in this competition which is probably why I am most upset. In my opinion, the ukulele is not just an instrument that is used to just sing a song, but is rather a versatile instrument. It takes skill, practice, and creativity in order to truly unlock the ukulele's potential. For someone like me who has been playing the ukulele for a very long time to see winners who didn't really showcase the potential of an ukulele, or entrants that rocked out on the ukulele not be recognized, is disturbing to me because it shows that the criteria for judging the contest wasn't right. I've been playing the ukulele for more than half my life and to be put in a category where an entrant can win based on singing or an elaborate video production is, to put it bluntly, embarrassing. I know I'm not the only one thinking this, but I'll definitely be the first to say it. You can judge me based on this post, and that's fine. I can be remembered as the guy who you think is ungrateful or an a**, or I can be remembered as the guy who spoke his mind and didn't hide behind the computer. Now I understand why some people were mad about last month’s winners. We can all sit here and support each other, but support shouldn't have to come from a community where in a competition others should have won. I am not upset that I didn't get 1st, but I am just speaking up for those who feel the same way I do. Don't get me wrong, I am totally supportive of every ukulele player out there and love the community, but something went wrong here. Honestly if you go to someone's backyard jam, you will see, hear, and feel the talent of a true ukulele player, and it's sad that those people didn’t win. My thoughts won't change the results, but the least I can do is make a change in the way things are judged. If you are going to give away an awesome instrument such as the Eleuke, in a contest, you should at least award it to someone who can showcase more than the basics on an ukulele. In my opinion, that is a waste of an instrument. Each judging panel has it's own criteria, and we have to live by that. However, I suggest that next time you folks hold a competition, there should have a grading system of some sort. It seems like there was no consistency as far as choosing the winners. Forgive me for my rant but I'm just speaking my mind. You can hate it, or you can take it, learn from it, and come back a new person. I know I will :)

Dougf
08-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Let's cut the judges some slack, particularly given their generosity, and the extreme difficulty of the decision.

Now back to the real question, what do I have to do to get one of those tie-dye dipped ukes?

emusicknight
08-12-2010, 09:03 PM
I'm working on how to get these shirts made the best quality (actual screen printing, not heat transfer)/the easiest process (which would not involve me having a warehouse of extra shirts sitting at my house) so right now the fastest and easiest option would be...

1. Download your picture flying V (http://erin.markerin.com/BlackUkeRockV.png) or traditional (http://erin.markerin.com/BlackUkeRock.png)
2. Go to http://www.printfection.com/customer/product_workshop.php?rootid=7&invoptid=111 and upload the picture
3. Click the enlarge button twice and the down arrow once (for the biggest uncropped image)
4. Choose your color (white is only $2! other colors are $16.99, but personally think Pistachio is worth it.)

Pretty easy! After shipping, it's $6.99 for a white shirt or $21.98 for a color of your choice.
http://erin.markerin.com/whiteuke2.jpghttp://erin.markerin.com/pistachiouke.jpg

I know the design isn't the same placement as my idea, and I couldn't get the white ink to upload right.. so this is what i have so far. If you have a better idea, PM me. enjoy!

Tsunami
08-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Congratulations for the winners! Oh man I reallly wanted a new uke, I'm jealous!
Thank Eleuke again for giving me a great chance to make my first music video.
I had so much fun doing it, and I know I'll keep doing it.

I thought that we have all agreed that it is a seriously tight competition and judges'
personal perferences may affect the results in a way that not all of us agree.
The contest was hosted by Eleuke, they picked videos they liked, and they are giving
away SIX new eleuke to those who they think deserve the prize.

I agree that criteria were not very clear, but I also liked it because it gave us lots of
freedom. Then we saw so much varieties of videos which we all enjoy.

Well anyways, I had lots of fun, and I'm very looking forward to sharing moer music
here and watchig everybody elses' videos.

Big thanks to Eleuke again, for being so awesomely generous.

tumnusLOVE
08-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Okay, yeah, I'm just as surprised as everyone else that I won, but I'd appreciate the video comments to stop. I didn't pick the winners and I think it's a little harsh to bash me and the other winners on my video/other videos. I'm really grateful that I won and totally surprised. I just don't think my ego can take any more of the comments. Thanks again and congrats to everyone.

josnza
08-12-2010, 09:20 PM
I am gracious of winning, but I too was surprised at the winners. I saw videos that I expected to win and whom I thought were serious competition for me. I didn't expect to win, but I did. There were videos that I thought should have won based on the musician’s ability to play the ukulele and not just because they chose a song to sing while strumming away at the given chords on an ukulele (anyone can learn tabs and sing-along) or because they decided to make an elaborate video. Think about this-close your eyes while listening to any of the "uke rock" competitors and you will hear a difference between someone who can really use an ukulele to it’s full potential versus someone who just follows along with the chord progression. It seemed like the skill, as far as playing the ukulele is concerned, was not recognized in this competition which is probably why I am most upset. In my opinion, the ukulele is not just an instrument that is used to just sing a song, but is rather a versatile instrument. It takes skill, practice, and creativity in order to truly unlock the ukulele's potential. For someone like me who has been playing the ukulele for a very long time to see winners who didn't really showcase the potential of an ukulele, or entrants that rocked out on the ukulele not be recognized, is disturbing to me because it shows that the criteria for judging the contest wasn't right. I've been playing the ukulele for more than half my life and to be put in a category where an entrant can win based on singing or an elaborate video production is, to put it bluntly, embarrassing. I know I'm not the only one thinking this, but I'll definitely be the first to say it. You can judge me based on this post, and that's fine. I can be remembered as the guy who you think is ungrateful or an a**, or I can be remembered as the guy who spoke his mind and didn't hide behind the computer. Now I understand why some people were mad about last month’s winners. We can all sit here and support each other, but support shouldn't have to come from a community where in a competition others should have won. I am not upset that I didn't get 1st, but I am just speaking up for those who feel the same way I do. Don't get me wrong, I am totally supportive of every ukulele player out there and love the community, but something went wrong here. Honestly if you go to someone's backyard jam, you will see, hear, and feel the talent of a true ukulele player, and it's sad that those people didn’t win. My thoughts won't change the results, but the least I can do is make a change in the way things are judged. If you are going to give away an awesome instrument such as the Eleuke, in a contest, you should at least award it to someone who can showcase more than the basics on an ukulele. In my opinion, that is a waste of an instrument. Each judging panel has it's own criteria, and we have to live by that. However, I suggest that next time you folks hold a competition, there should have a grading system of some sort. It seems like there was no consistency as far as choosing the winners. Forgive me for my rant but I'm just speaking my mind. You can hate it, or you can take it, learn from it, and come back a new person. I know I will :)

You know, its more than fair as a winner... and must say its speaks very highly of your values..... although i kinda think besides the playing bit (which you have a point with), it was also packaged with using new ideas and your own creativity embedded with it.... and thats what brought the contest enthusiasm and unmeasurable fun..... if it was prolly more for the playing and the seriousness associated with it.... there shud b another contest with us jes picking up our best most polished pieces and putting it up in a way that would prolly have lesser fun than we did.... as for the buzz in my head, i totally am happy with the results even though i din win..... was jes the appropriate allotment...... regarding the eleuke, i think the reason you have it is cos u prolly not only play well but potentially you can get more creative with it.... and perhaps package all that into something or altoghether premiere....... but nice to have insight into your thought, thanks to have speaking it, wouldn't have known wat ur winner buzz is really feeling otherwise... i'm still in awe of your selfless virtues, modesty and equilibrium attitude...... pls don take offense, but wish we had kings and queens like you....... Peace and Positivity......

ukeADDICTx
08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Okay, yeah, I'm just as surprised as everyone else that I won, but I'd appreciate the video comments to stop. I didn't pick the winners and I think it's a little harsh to bash me and the other winners on my video/other videos. I'm really grateful that I won and totally surprised. I just don't think my ego can take any more of the comments. Thanks again and congrats to everyone.

I'm not saying you did a horrible job. So if you thought that is what I meant, it is not and I apologize. I thought you did an excellent job. My point is the judging criteria, which is why I tried to offer a solution.

ukeADDICTx
08-12-2010, 10:15 PM
You know, its more than fair as a winner... and must say its speaks very highly of your values..... although i kinda think besides the playing bit (which you have a point with), it was also packaged with using new ideas and your own creativity embedded with it.... and thats what brought the contest enthusiasm and unmeasurable fun..... if it was prolly more for the playing and the seriousness associated with it.... there shud b another contest with us jes picking up our best most polished pieces and putting it up in a way that would prolly have lesser fun than we did.... as for the buzz in my head, i totally am happy with the results even though i din win..... was jes the appropriate allotment...... regarding the eleuke, i think the reason you have it is cos u prolly not only play well but potentially you can get more creative with it.... and perhaps package all that into something or altoghether premiere....... but nice to have insight into your thought, thanks to have speaking it, wouldn't have known wat ur winner buzz is really feeling otherwise... i'm still in awe of your selfless virtues, modesty and equilibrium attitude...... pls don take offense, but wish we had kings and queens like you....... Peace and Positivity......

If I understood you correctly and in a positive way, then thanks. If it is more of a sarcasm thing, then thanks as well. But you have to understand and you have to admit, there were skilled players in this competition. But some things didn't make sense. For example, the brothers won 2nd and Aide won 3rd. Look at their styles. Now look at 6sters and Samwonder. Agreeably they are the same type of videos yet 6sters and Samwonder were not similarly placed? Would I have liked if everyone got one? Sure, but that's not going to happen. I am grateful that I am a winner, I admit we all had fun (you can be skilled and still have fun), however it is still the judging that disturbs me. We can all say, "you were given the ukulele based on potential," and if that's the story, then great. Everyone learns from a situation. Not everyone will agree to a judge's decision as I am one of them, but for those of us who thought the competition was more of showcasing how a ukulele can be a rock instrument, something needs to change in respect to how a contest is held. Maybe it would've been better if specifics were put in place. For example, who showed most enthusiasm, or who was the funniest. Like I said before, I am not mad at who or what group won. I was suggesting that because of the differences in the winners, a guideline for judge requirements and what will be judged next time will clear up contestant questions and what they need to do to make the most of his or her entry.

experimentjon
08-12-2010, 11:05 PM
First of all, congrats to all of the winners, and the special awards too, those dipped ukes are awesome.

But secondly, as a neutral observer who did not enter, I do see ukeAddict's point in the lack of judging criteria, because the winning videos were indeed very different in style. I do not think he was trying to take a stab at any of the winners. And I believe that all of the winners were deserving, and there were many other great videos that I saw in the collage--even though admittedly, I did not watch many of them in their entirety. But I think that to avoid this type of debate in the future, there should be some consistent criteria for judging future UU giveaways. If I remember correctly, the lack of judging criteria was why there was so much contreversy over another company's ukulele contest winners...oom bop!

But anyway, let the contests continue and the uke love keep flowing! Congrats again to the winners.

ukeADDICTx
08-12-2010, 11:33 PM
First of all, congrats to all of the winners, and the special awards too, those dipped ukes are awesome.

But secondly, as a neutral observer who did not enter, I do see ukeAddict's point in the lack of judging criteria, because the winning videos were indeed very different in style. I do not think he was trying to take a stab at any of the winners. And I believe that all of the winners were deserving, and there were many other great videos that I saw in the collage--even though admittedly, I did not watch many of them in their entirety. But I think that to avoid this type of debate in the future, there should be some consistent criteria for judging future UU giveaways. If I remember correctly, the lack of judging criteria was why there was so much contreversy over another company's ukulele contest winners...oom bop!

But anyway, let the contests continue and the uke love keep flowing! Congrats again to the winners.

That is exactly what I'm trying to say. We don't need a debate, questions, or critisism of why this person won or didn't win. And to prevent that from happening, there needs to be judging criteria. I don't believe it is UU fault for the inconsistency in judging. However, in future contest, I would hope that UU supports this idea where judging criteria is announced to the contestents. This consistency will hopefully show in the winners that are picked and should minimize questions and comments.

ogikloavailable
08-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Congratulations for all of the winner :D specially for those who won that special ukes,sweeeeeeeet :drool: :iwant:

Didnt win anything but i was having so much fun when workin on my vid.
Once again,congrats. :)

musicmonsterw
08-13-2010, 06:00 AM
That is exactly what I'm trying to say. We don't need a debate, questions, or critisism of why this person won or didn't win. And to prevent that from happening, there needs to be judging criteria. I don't believe it is UU fault for the inconsistency in judging. However, in future contest, I would hope that UU supports this idea where judging criteria is announced to the contestents. This consistency will hopefully show in the winners that are picked and should minimize questions and comments.

I'm actually planning on hosting a little contest of my own. The prizes won't be quite as huge but I hope it'll be a fun contest. I plan to state very clearly what the judging criteria will be and also, how the judging process will take place.

bigploch
08-13-2010, 06:37 AM
As a casual observer and a non-entrant, I find it amusing that anyone could criticize someone who is giving something away. If eleuke, or any other contest host, wants to randomly select a video and give prizes to whomever they please. This was a contest, not a competition. Playing music is an art form and good or bad art is a matter of opinion.

There is also the fact that eleuke is doing this for marketing purposes. THey can give the uke to whomever they choose based on what they see and hear. I don't think they were doing this to find the most skilled player, rather the most appealing to them.

It just blows my mind that people can criticize HOW another person GIVES something away.

SamWonder
08-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Now look at 6sters and Samwonder.

You are very kind my dear ukeADDICTx. Thanks for your support. And good on you for speaking from your heart. I also enjoyed 6sters entry. I wonder if she's single. Do you think she would dig a puppet? haha... I can't wait to get my next video out there.

Peace, Love and Ukulele,
Sam

dianalele
08-13-2010, 06:43 AM
Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, and its great that we can share on this forum. I hope it doesnt scare people away from holding future big uke contests like this one though.

I know no one on this thread is, but on youtube, don't be hatin' on the winners. rude.

There are so many different ways that you can judge a contest like this. Theres talent, creativity, video editing, song choice, personal preference, enthusiasm, need for an improved ukulele, stage presence, etc. I'm not going to claim to know which of these was that criteria, but in the end, it really is up to the kind people who have ukes to give away.
When I have ukes to give away, I can set up my own criteria.
When you have ukes to give away, you can make your own.

Regardless, it is undeniable that a wide variety of videos were chosen for the winners, and I think thats a good thing because it seemed every kind of video stood a chance.

As for the winners who are getting smack- don't let it get to you. I got smack for getting second in last months contest. It kinda sucks to hear people say that I won cuz of how i look and not because of talent or creativity. But I've made friends through my ukulele years who support me. So hold on to your friends and keep uke rockin'!

SamWonder
08-13-2010, 06:44 AM

Congratulations tumnusLOVE. I thoroughly enjoyed your video. It was enjoyable, lighthearted and fun. Keep your head up!

Uke ROCK! :cool:

Love,
Sam

Dougf
08-13-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm actually planning on hosting a little contest of my own. The prizes won't be quite as huge but I hope it'll be a fun contest. I plan to state very clearly what the judging criteria will be and also, how the judging process will take place.

Looking forward to that contest! And don't worry about well defined criteria, just pick the one you like best!

Mim
08-13-2010, 06:48 AM
I had not watched all the videos... life has been busy... but I popped in to see the winners and read the comments. I was shocked to see people being so confrontational.

#1 Bad Sportsmanship or whatever the music world would say
#2 I loved the winners because I felt like it showcased all sorts of different types of ukulele playing and how at any skill level ukulele playing can be good an enjoyable
#3 They never said the prizes would go to the best ukulele players

My first uke contest I entered I chose a song with only a 4 chord progression. I won... but I spent hours on my video and put a lot of thought, heart, and soul into it. So don't discount those who won. They worked hard too. And it just is not nice. What happened to the ukulele spirit? I sell ukuleles to people of all skill levels telling them that in the ukulele world there is such a range of abilites, but the beauty of the ukulele is that everyone treats each other well and celebrates peoples success at whatever skill level that they are at. So, I was suprised to see people dogged because their skill level was not at a certain level. It is what you do with it that matters. We do not want to down-grade a performance because the playing is not as good as what you would be able to do. It is the combination that is beautiful.

Love the winners!!! All of them! Queen is one of my favorite groups of all time and I have never heard Far Bottom Girls sang so beautiful. The video for the Black Parade was haunting, loved it. Adie your playing is great and the Eye of the Tiger was so inticate. I loved them all for different reasons. Apples and Oranges. Hard to know which comes first!

The Eleuke people are great!!! What an awesome contest! Don't make them not want to host more contests because of sillyness. I will host one soon. Just as long as you do not dog me when I annouce the winner ;)! Haha!

bensontaylor
08-13-2010, 07:30 AM
:agree: i AgReE

seeso
08-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Whoever's talking shit on Tumnus' videos, you need to stop. If anyone knows who that is, I don't need to know, just tell them to cut that cowardly crap out.

sukie
08-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Very nicely said, Mim. :-)

RevWill
08-13-2010, 08:44 AM
All of this whining serves two purposes: 1. It makes the one doing the whining look like a jerk, and 2. It's gonna shut down the whole contest thing here at UU.

Is that seriously what you want?

I'm not kidding. If you thought you deserved to win and didn't, suck it up, put some dirt on it, walk it off and move on. Don't come on here trashing the winners or the judges. The judges are gracious enough to give away ukes to whomever they darn well please, and your concept of "fair judging criteria" doesn't enter into it. If you don't like the way contests are judged, you probably shouldn't enter.

Even worse is when you win and trash other winners. What the heck? That just doesn't even make sense. If I were the contest judge I would seriously think twice about actually giving you the prize after pulling a stunt like that.

The judges' ruling is final. That's it. All you need to know. Don't like it? Tough! Act like a big kid, move on with your life, and keep it off the board.

Don't come on the board starting a bunch of drama. If this keeps up I have no doubt in my mind that Aldrine and Rayan will shut the contests down permanently. None of us wants that.

Hankthetank
08-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Andy! Is Andy here? I can't find him. He doesn't seem to in this thread either.

Oh! And congrats to all the winners. And great job to all of you who entered.

Adie227
08-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Im still soo happy I got 3rd place.

I think is totally unfair to abuse the winners. I've been playing uke for around 3 months. I've gained so much from this site in that time. You guys do a wicked job and i thank you for that.

//edit Time flys when ur uking

thiedebrothers
08-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Yay! Second place! :) congratulations to all the winners and especially to those who entered. this was a super fun contest. i had fun doing all the practicing, recording, filming, and checking up on the contest to see all the intense competition :) and most of all, this has been the only thing to get me and my brother to accomplish something great together after 17 years of never-ending fights and arguments. this was way more important then winning. and i'm sure everyone else has a positive story from this experience as well. so lets all please stop thinking this contest was unfair because at the end of the day, we all learned something new, we all got to rock out, we all got better, and most of all, we all had fun. doesn't that makes us all winners?

James, from the thiede brothers

mythidiot
08-13-2010, 01:48 PM
I've only been on this forum a short time, but wow... this is a side of this forum that I never thought I'd see.

Someone mentioned that the last contest ended like this too? Does this happen often?

Scarecrow
08-13-2010, 02:17 PM
I've only been on this forum a short time, but wow... this is a side of this forum that I never thought I'd see.

Someone mentioned that the last contest ended like this too? Does this happen often?
Most on UU are good people. The few on this thread that said anything other than congratulations to the winners and thank you to Eleuke are wrong and should apologize for their behavior. No amount of back tracking or hiding behind "just my opinion" comments will change that. No Ifs, Ands, or Buts. I seriously doubt that will happen.

lernon
08-13-2010, 02:52 PM
!! Great Job winners !!
Great contest!
Hope to see more to come!

on another note...
hope this debate stops, I think we should all just chill
and get ready for all the other contests in the future
by playing more uke!

ukeADDICTx
08-13-2010, 03:09 PM
It just blows my mind that people can criticize HOW another person GIVES something away.

All I am saying is have some kind of scoring system next time. It will prevent problems.

ukeADDICTx
08-13-2010, 03:11 PM
#3 They never said the prizes would go to the best ukulele players
!

I did not say I was the best. I'm saying it would be courteous to know how a contest will be judged.

Scarecrow
08-13-2010, 03:22 PM
I did not say I was the best. I'm saying it would be courteous to know how a contest will be judged.

Let it go already Dude.

ukeADDICTx
08-13-2010, 03:48 PM
All of this whining serves two purposes: 1. It makes the one doing the whining look like a jerk, and 2. It's gonna shut down the whole contest thing here at UU.

Is that seriously what you want?

I'm not kidding. If you thought you deserved to win and didn't, suck it up, put some dirt on it, walk it off and move on. Don't come on here trashing the winners or the judges. The judges are gracious enough to give away ukes to whomever they darn well please, and your concept of "fair judging criteria" doesn't enter into it. If you don't like the way contests are judged, you probably shouldn't enter.

Even worse is when you win and trash other winners. What the heck? That just doesn't even make sense. If I were the contest judge I would seriously think twice about actually giving you the prize after pulling a stunt like that.

The judges' ruling is final. That's it. All you need to know. Don't like it? Tough! Act like a big kid, move on with your life, and keep it off the board.

Don't come on the board starting a bunch of drama. If this keeps up I have no doubt in my mind that Aldrine and Rayan will shut the contests down permanently. None of us wants that.

First, in my earlier post, I had said "I am going to learn from it and move on". And this is what I had done. I didn't expect to win, but I did. I accepted it and now I am just trying offer a solution so that this doesn't happen again. I am a winner in this contest, and it baffles me how people think I am whining. I am just supporting those who thought ill of the outcome. I felt there was inconsistency in the videos, which is why I am speaking my thoughts.

Secondly, there were not judging criteria stated, which is why I am trying to make my point heard. I am not saying go back now and redo the winners based on a grading system. What I am saying is make a scoring system in the future. There are contest rules that Deach posted, however maybe that needs to be changed. There are those who want to be scored and placed accordingly and a grading system is what could be implemented into the rules of a contest. Everyone talks about a supportive community, however if this is a community where all uke players are supported, don't you think that my point should be supported as well? I am not saying I am right and you are wrong, it just this is what needs to be heard.

Thirdly, Eleuke can decide to not award me my prize. And that is because, again, it is the judges decision. I have no problem accepting a loss or a win. I also have no problem accepting the Eleuke company from not awarding me my prize. However, no where did I say I was ungrateful or unappreciative. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I did not trash the winners but rather pointed out that other similar videos should have been in the top four based on the winning top four. If you'd like to think that I am pulling a stunt and bringing drama, well that is your opinion and I respect that. People don't like it when others want change. However, I think the change can bring benefits.

Lastly, I understand what you are saying, but I believe you are missing my point. I am appreciative of my winnings. No where did I say that I should win first. I congratulated all the winners and the contestants. If anything, I would think this would minimize future conflict. If there was a judging criteria, would you be reading this now? Would I have responded the way I did? Would you be responding back to me? If we do have a grading system, then no one would complain because you are scored.

I don't believe this will make the contests stop, but it will make contests less dramatic.

ukeADDICTx
08-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Let it go already Dude.

Would you want someone to tell you, "let it go already Dude," in something you believe in?

thiedebrothers
08-13-2010, 04:17 PM
Would you want someone to tell you, "let it go already Dude," in something you believe in?

Dude, let it go. i havent heard from the third place winner but im sure he agrees with us other winners that ur hurting our feelings. so like ya, let it go

ukeADDICTx
08-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Dude, let it go. i havent heard from the third place winner but im sure he agrees with us other winners that ur hurting our feelings. so like ya, let it go

People are missing my point. Like I said earlier, I am not bashing on anyone. I didn't mean to offend you, but if I did I apologize. It was not my intention. Just make a grading system.

experimentjon
08-13-2010, 04:20 PM
ukeADDICTx makes a fair point when he references deach's post.

A contest should have a tangible prize, whether it's a pack of mints or a brand new car.
A challenge is competition where reward is the completion of a task.
Having others do work for you and disguising it as a challenge is lame. Instead of holding a contest, just post "I need some help blah blah blah." There are plenty of helpful people here.

Every contest should contain the following:

some sort of theme
specific rules (ie you must say "this is for the blah blah blah contest" at the beginning of the video)
end date (2-4 weeks is plenty of time)
number of entries permmited
judging criteria
prize

- Contest holders should announce winners in a timely fashion. If people are entering your contest, show them a little courtesy in return.

Check #5. I'm pretty sure that rule is in there to minimize debate about the winners and avoid any oom bopping drama.

The point that ukeADDICTx is trying to make is not about who should have won, as some people seem to believe. His core argument is a fair point, and I think Aldrine and Ryan (and Aaron) would be wise to incorporate rule #5 in the next awesome giveaway.

On the ohter hand, if there is bashing of the winner in her videos, that's unacceptable, and whoever is doing that should stop.

musicmonsterw
08-13-2010, 04:28 PM
ukeADDICTx makes a fair point when he references deach's post.

Check #5. I'm pretty sure that rule is in there to minimize debate about the winners and avoid any oom bopping drama.

The point that ukeADDICTx is trying to make is not about who should have won, as some people seem to believe. His core argument is a fair point, and I think Aldrine and Ryan (and Aaron) would be wise to incorporate rule #5 in the next awesome giveaway.

On the ohter hand, if there is bashing of the winner in her videos, that's unacceptable, and whoever is doing that should stop.

I will be hosting a contest shortly. The prizes will not be huge. It's a fun little contest. I have already thought out a scoring system which I will make public right from the start. Consider my contest an experiment, a trial run. And, you're all welcome to enter my contest. I wlll try to get it set up within the next couple of weeks.

Scarecrow
08-13-2010, 04:29 PM

I stand by statement and my post #73. Good luck on your campaign.

ukeADDICTx
08-13-2010, 04:31 PM
I stand by statement and my post #73. Good luck on your campaign.

Thank you and I respect statement as well.

UncleElvis
08-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Ok, Reverend Will has said most of the things I was thinking and Scarecrow has said most of the rest.

However...

I felt there was inconsistency in the videos, which is why I am speaking my thoughts.

And your opinion on this matters... why?

Secondly, there were not judging criteria stated, which is why I am trying to make my point heard.
This doesn't make sense. Why said there has to be criteria? And what does a lack of criteria have to do with making your point heard?
You seem to be working off the assumption that there must be criteria. This is wrong.

I am not saying go back now and redo the winners based on a grading system. What I am saying is make a scoring system in the future.
What gives you the gall to demand this (and yes, saying "make a scoring system", as well as hijacking a thread, IS demanding)? Seriously... what makes you think that you have the right to even express this as an opinion?

There are contest rules that Deach posted, however maybe that needs to be changed. There are those who want to be scored and placed accordingly and a grading system is what could be implemented into the rules of a contest.

OR... and this is just an idea... those that want to be judged like that should NOT join contests where they aren't scored. What you are demanding is that they completely change how they do things, just because it's how YOU think it should be. Those that won and didn't win did so in THIS competion, this contest. Not one where they are scored. You're talking about a completely different competition.

Everyone talks about a supportive community, however if this is a community where all uke players are supported, don't you think that my point should be supported as well? I am not saying I am right and you are wrong, it just this is what needs to be heard.
Actually, this is EXACTLY what you are saying by demanding they change it and by hijacking the thread.
Personally, I think that, because you are saying that the judging criterion is wrong, or even that you have a right to know about it! (You don't by the way.), is wrong. I AM saying that you are wrong to do that.

You don't get to define how someone else runs their competition. Not even a little bit. And you CERTAINLY don't get to make comments about it!
(And before we get to the whole "Freedom of speech/ shouldn't I get a voice?" thing, it works both ways. You get to say what you want, fine. But so do we. when you say "don't you think that my point should be supported as well", what you are saying is "Shouldn't I be allowed to say whatever I want without anyone disagreeing with me?" That's not how it works.
AND, while we're on that point, this site IS supportive of uke players. That has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with your point on this subject.

Thirdly, Eleuke can decide to not award me my prize.

How's that martyrdom coming?

And that is because, again, it is the judges decision. I have no problem accepting a loss or a win.
Well, you don't have a problem with it until you do... and you VERY obviously have a problem with a loss or a win for other people that you don't think are worthy, evidenced by your comments.

I also have no problem accepting the Eleuke company from not awarding me my prize. However, no where did I say I was ungrateful or unappreciative.
Not about YOUR prize, no... other folks? Not so much...

In fact, it was quite the opposite. I did not trash the winners but rather pointed out that other similar videos should have been in the top four based on the winning top four.
THIS is the problem. Right here. "SHOULD HAVE BEEN".
Based SOLELY on your opinion and personal criterion. You don't get to do that.
It's completely self-important. This is what people have a problem with, I think.
But let's look at your sentence. "I didn't trash the winners, I just said that other videos should have won instead of them" How is that NOT trashing them?

If you'd like to think that I am pulling a stunt and bringing drama, well that is your opinion and I respect that.

No, I think it's a pretty well established and proveable fact, not an opinion.

People don't like it when others want change. However, I think the change can bring benefits.

Again, what you think on how someone else runs their competitions? Not valid. You don't get to demand this.

Lastly, I understand what you are saying, but I believe you are missing my point. I am appreciative of my winnings. No where did I say that I should win first. I congratulated all the winners and the contestants.

And then slagged them off by saying that other videos should have won...

If anything, I would think this would minimize future conflict.
The only one causing conflict are those that have tried to impose their will, their opinions, their criteria and their demands on us.

If there was a judging criteria, would you be reading this now?
If folks hadn't made ingratious (and just plain rude) comments that they have no place to make, would we be reading this? If you didn't think that your opinion was more important than the judges, would we be reading this?
No, we'd all feel really good and happy for everyone.
If the bad feelings and negative comments, that you are now defending and trying to justify, hadn't be made, this thread would be full of congratulations and good feelings.
Instead?

Would I have responded the way I did? Would you be responding back to me? If we do have a grading system, then no one would complain because you are scored.

YOU DON'T GET TO DEMAND THAT?
You said it in your first sentence there. "Would [you] have responded the way [you] did?" This is EXACTLY the problem.
NOWHERE was it said "These will be scored using ukeADDICTx's criteria"
YOU started this with your response. YOU caused the drama. YOU caused, and are continuing to cause, the conflict by complaining about folks winning and not winning a contest that they weren't in.

I don't believe this will make the contests stop, but it will make contests less dramatic.
I believe the drama and conflict you brought are an example of a MAJOR deterrant, one that very easily could make the contests stop.

If they're going to have to put up with "Those people shouldn't have won because I think my opinion is more important that everyone elses, including the judges and the folks holding the contest" every single time? Why would they continue?

seeso
08-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I think both sides of the argument have made their points. This thread shall now be closed. Any further issues can be brought to me via PM. Thank you.

rayan
08-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Like I said the last time, we don't decide who the winner is. We narrow down the entries to finalists and the sponsoring company chooses the winners. These companies don't have to sponsor these contests and we're all lucky that Eleuke was so generous with the prizes. Its their contest so we feel its fair for them to give these FREE ukes to whoever they feel deserves them which is why we tend to have looser criteria for judging than forum run contests.

Pretty disappointed with the behavior of everyone. I think this might be the last contest we do for a little bit.