Soprano Ukulele w/ pickup on a budget?

KyleYankan

Reaction score
Hiya everyone....

My name is Kyle, I'm still a begginer with a ukulele. I bought a cheapo brand Baritone, and that got me interested. I quickly went out and bought a Kala Mahogany Soprano (KA-S). I really like it alot, but I've been..... wanting a ukulele with a pickup. Not for any particular reason. I don't perform, I don't have any effect pedals.... but I'd like to be able to play on an amp, to hear myself better, and maybe record a bit for fun. I'd put my own pickup in, but it appears most are about $80.... and I'm afraid of breaking my ukulele. I carry it everywhere with me! I'm a firefighter/EMT, so I get to practice at work a lot. Can anyone recommend a Soprano Ukulele, that has a pickup... for a budget cost?

Also, as a side question, how do people feel about straps? A gentleman at the store tried to sell me these screw-in strap-buttons... but I didn't want to screw into my ukulele..... and then realize they were no good. Any opinions/thoughts?

Thanks!
-Kyle Yankanich

Be sure to check the search function with "pickup", there have been a few threads about this subject and I believe there even was a super-budget pickup tip somewhere (will link it in here if I find it back before someone else does). So unless you are really set on getting another uke, you might read around a bit (if you haven't already) and see what the possibilities are.

Ah, try this... apparently it's 10 bucks and a dab of elbow grease.

If you don't want to install a pickup, there are options that do not require any drilling or anything. Here's one that just sticks onto the sound board.

http://www.kksound.com/bigshot.html

I think if you want a strap, then you should get a strap. You could get a classical style strap that does not require any drilling or screwing. The cheapest I've found is this one:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/STPC.htm

Pretty cheap options for ya.

Hey Kyle,
I have a Kala KA-S too and just bought an external pickup from jjbelectronics on ebay for $19.99 (free shipping), just tell him you want it for your uke and he will supply a shorter cable. I had to do some creative attachments but it works real well. He has different jacks for instrument without a strap button. I also found a Vox DA5 from ebay and now can plug in to hear the various fun sounds the ukulele can make!! Oh! I also changed the strings to the Aquilas and it makes the little soprano sound so impressive!! Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone,
I appreciate it. I'm going tomorrow to the music store, to see what they have. Maybe I'll just grab an external one for now, until I feel confident to drill my uke.

-K. Yank

Top Bottom