What's the use of pickups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clobbersaurus

Reaction score
Hey, all.

Deciding on my first uke, and I keep seeing some that have electronic pickups. I don't get what they are really for.

um. They alow you to plug your uke into an amp without the need to sit still when you play (which you'd need to do with a microphone).

Amplification!

Thank you, guys! I thought they were to plug into amps, but the few I just saw pictured didn't show different angles, so I didn't see where you'd plug anything in.

A pickup truck (or pick-up truck or simply pickup, also called bakkie in South Africa and ute — an abbreviation of "utility vehicle" — in Australia and New Zealand) is a light motor vehicle with an open-top rear cargo area (bed) which is almost always separated from the cab to allow for chassis flex when carrying or pulling heavy loads.

The first factory-assembled pickup was based on the Ford Model T car, with a modified rear body. It debuted in 1925 and sold for $281. Henry Ford billed it as the "Ford Model T Runabout with Pickup Body." The 34,000 built that first year featured a cargo box, adjustable tailgate, four stake pockets and heavy-duty rear springs.

Eventually, the utility of pickup trucks disappeared and individuals who made too much money and did not know what to do with it spent extra money they could have used for leather seating or frapocinos to purchase large trucks. After the demand for such large vehicles increased, automobile manufacturers decided to offer luxury models of their truck line including closed cargo units also know as sport utility vehicles (SUV). The ultimate step was to remove the usability of the bed and replace the metal or hard plastic lining with carpet such as in the Lincoln Mark LT.

The Lincoln Mark LT was one of the most highly discounted new cars ever with many dealers settling on $10,000 under the MSRP (Manufacturers Seriously want to Rape you Price). This lead to Ford (Lincoln's parent company) to discontinue the line as of the 2008 model year (though Congress tried very hard to pay them off to make more of them).

Currently, driven by demand from middle class desires to connect with their redneck past, pickup sales continue to be one of the largest shares of the automobile industry.

~DB

Source: Wikipedia (where I can make stuff up too)

I have installed a pickup in my awesome Bluegrass ukes CBU but I think I enjoy its natural sound better. well at least its there if I ever need it
until then its a good place to mount a strap

A pickup truck (or pick-up truck or simply pickup, also called bakkie in South Africa and ute — an abbreviation of "utility vehicle" — in Australia and New Zealand) is a light motor vehicle with an open-top rear cargo area (bed) which is almost always separated from the cab to allow for chassis flex when carrying or pulling heavy loads.

The first factory-assembled pickup was based on the Ford Model T car, with a modified rear body. It debuted in 1925 and sold for $281. Henry Ford billed it as the "Ford Model T Runabout with Pickup Body." The 34,000 built that first year featured a cargo box, adjustable tailgate, four stake pockets and heavy-duty rear springs.

Eventually, the utility of pickup trucks disappeared and individuals who made too much money and did not know what to do with it spent extra money they could have used for leather seating or frapocinos to purchase large trucks. After the demand for such large vehicles increased, automobile manufacturers decided to offer luxury models of their truck line including closed cargo units also know as sport utility vehicles (SUV). The ultimate step was to remove the usability of the bed and replace the metal or hard plastic lining with carpet such as in the Lincoln Mark LT.

The Lincoln Mark LT was one of the most highly discounted new cars ever with many dealers settling on $10,000 under the MSRP (Manufacturers Seriously want to Rape you Price). This lead to Ford (Lincoln's parent company) to discontinue the line as of the 2008 model year (though Congress tried very hard to pay them off to make more of them).

Currently, driven by demand from middle class desires to connect with their redneck past, pickup sales continue to be one of the largest shares of the automobile industry.

~DB

Source: Wikipedia (where I can make stuff up too)

I think I'll be needing a bigger uke to install this one.

Hey, all.

Deciding on my first uke, and I keep seeing some that have electronic pickups. I don't get what they are really for.

Also be aware that there are active and passive pickups... with different operations, controls and overall sounds. If you plan to play on stage, or with a band, I'd recommend the active electronics where you can set your volume and tone at the uke.

A pickup truck...

Wow! I just noticed the Google banner ad at the top of this page is for pickup trucks. I'm guessing it has something to do with lindydanny's post.

So, this tread isn't about Match.com?

Also be aware that there are active and passive pickups...

That's right. "Active" pickups are used for things like hauling lumber, pulling cars out of ditches, and bringing tools and other equipment to the jobsite. If your pickup is a bit dinged-up and/or mud-spattered, then it's probably an active one.

"Passive" pickups, on the other hand, tend to have fancy paint jobs and expensive stereo systems. Sometimes neon is involved. They're often owned by guys who iron their jeans. If your pickup doesn't have a single scratch in the bed, then it's passive.

Hope that helps!

JJ

padlock.gif
I believe the OP got his question answered and the pickup (truck) secondary answer was humorous but it just ran out of petrol . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom