Song Help Request Cecilia on tenor?

Helms

Reaction score
Hey!
I've been looking at Cecilia for a couple of hours now, and after getting through some parts of the songs I realized that some of the stuff I have to play is quite hard, at least for a Tenor Uke, so my question is:
Is it possible to play on a Tenor Uke, or do I have to get a smaller one before trying that song?

There are a couple of stretches in the song that might be a little too much on a tenor (depending on the size of your hands) There's one at the start that spans from the 2nd to the 7th fret. There's also a C# note that needs to be hammered on with the pinky (while holding down a Dm6) not long after that which would be very difficult on a uke so large. I think they're the only two that will cause you any real problems. If you can manage the stretches then it's just fine to play on a tenor.

Keep me posted, I'd love to know if you manage it.

Last edited:
Hey,
I decided to keep practicing the song, although it isn't an ideal song for tenor.
The longest stretch I could find is actually longer the 2nd to 7th fret.
There's one where you have to bar the top three strings in 2nd fret and reach 9th fret.
But my hands are pretty large, so I'm not giving up yet.

Hey,
I decided to keep practicing the song, although it isn't an ideal song for tenor.
The longest stretch I could find is actually longer the 2nd to 7th fret.
There's one where you have to bar the top three strings in 2nd fret and reach 9th fret.
But my hands are pretty large, so I'm not giving up yet.

Sorry, I think the arrangement that I play might drift away from any tabs that are around for it. I've looked at the stretch you mean and I play that as 7659 - does that help at all?

Thanks for the tip, but for some reason I find 2229 easier.

Thanks for the tip, but for some reason I find 2229 easier.

I was just thinking what a crazy stretch that must be on a tenor. Keep me posted, I'd love to know how you progress with it

Alrighty, I'm done :)
I'm able to play the song now, now I just need to get it under my skin and be able to play it fluent.
Some of the stretches were quite painful at first, but my hands seems to be okay now and are able to do the long stretches.
Thanks for your help ukeshale :) Perhaps I'll post a video later with me playing the song.

Alrighty, I'm done :)
I'm able to play the song now, now I just need to get it under my skin and be able to play it fluent.
Some of the stretches were quite painful at first, but my hands seems to be okay now and are able to do the long stretches.
Thanks for your help ukeshale :) Perhaps I'll post a video later with me playing the song.

You're welcome :) It's a beautiful song. I hope you have fun playing it. Drop me a PM if you do get around to posting a video.

Top Bottom