Worth brown strings. Light or medium gauge recommended as a step up from aquilas

olgoat52

Reaction score
New to Ukulele, Long time guitarist.

I now have an Mainland mango concert and Mainland Cedar Soprano. The have Aquilas on them and that will be fine for a bit. I hear a lot about Worth Browns and Clears on this forum.

The action and feel with the aquilas is pretty good right now. What gauge would you recommend? Light or Medium for these "two ukes"

Also, I noticed that the aquila and others have soprano and concert sets. Is there difference just the length of the string? or are the gauges different between the two instruments?

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

As for the soprano and concert sets, both the guage and length are different. The soprano strings are made for the 14" scale length, while the concerts are made for the slightly longer scale, and added tension that goes with it.

When I recently researched and bought Worth strings, I got the impression the light gauge was intended for delicate, typically old, instruments.

Anyway, it's not as much a "step up" as a step in a different direction. Both Worth and Aquila make excellent strings.

Aloha Olgoat52,
Congrats on your current new aquirements, both strings are good...but I prefer Aquilla's most of the time...just my opinion at the present...things could or could not change in the future...he he
Some string manufactures have separate sizes, and others are used for both....ie Kamaka....
Personal preference, you just gotta try them out....difference guage thickness and tension and of course sound and tone....

When I recently researched and bought Worth strings, I got the impression the light gauge was intended for delicate, typically old, instruments.

Anyway, it's not as much a "step up" as a step in a different direction. Both Worth and Aquila make excellent strings.

I essentially agree with this way of looking at most string options. The "step up" is getting the sound YOU want.

I ordered up a couple sets from Elderly. Some worth browns, clears and clears low G as well as some more aquila's incase Mainland Ukes was "right all along" ;-). Now that I think about it I needed some more sets of Elixer strings for the guitars. Oh well.

I put worth clears on my Mainland Hog tenor like them a lot. However, I was thinking that uke may have "opened" up since I changed strings, so I plan to be aquila's back on to see. They are both great strings.

I started with some Kala reds, switched to aquila nylguts, then Worth browns. Improvements at each step (String tone is a personal thing).

I just recently switched to the worth clear with the 'hard' low G; I may have found my happy spot.

hard?

I started with some Kala reds, switched to aquila nylguts, then Worth browns. Improvements at each step (String tone is a personal thing).

I just recently switched to the worth clear with the 'hard' low G; I may have found my happy spot.

What do you mean by 'hard' low G? Is it wound or unwound?

I was not impressed with the Worth lights but very impressed with the mediums both on soprano 'ukuleles. The lights may have been great on my old Kumalae but I sold it before I could try it.

I like the crisp clear tone of the Worths. All instruments are different, but I like the mediums in brown or clear.

Worths are my go to strings, but I have two ukes in particular that really seem to like the Aquilas and contrary to usual accepted procedure, they are on a spruce top and a cedar cigar box!

What do you mean by 'hard' low G? Is it wound or unwound?

It is a clear medium formulation from Worth, but with a harder fluoro for the low G. I believe it is the CM-LGHD model of string. They have a gauge chart at worth that explains them (sort of): http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.html

I found a closeout sale at UkeWorld so I picked up an extra set. (7 bucks per double set!) Needed to buy two sets to justify the 7.60 shipping. Anyone interested go to: http://www.ukuleleworld.com/worth/

It is a clear medium formulation from Worth, but with a harder fluoro for the low G. I believe it is the CM-LGHD model of string. They have a gauge chart at worth that explains them (sort of): http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.html

I found a closeout sale at UkeWorld so I picked up an extra set. (7 bucks per double set!) Needed to buy two sets to justify the 7.60 shipping. Anyone interested go to: http://www.ukuleleworld.com/worth/

I definitely want to try these, but all the sizes are a bit confusing. Looks like all that's left at ukuleleworld for tenors is the CTLG-HD. Should I just get them?

I really have to say, have come to conclude it's great when folks connect with what makes them happy!!!

Just restrung with Worth Clear CTLG-HD

They've had a day now to stretch, and I'm very pleased. I previously had Fremonts, which are also fluorocarbon, so the sound is similar, but I think the Worths bring out a more bell like sound. I recorded a before and after, and I definitely hear a difference. Perhaps not a fair comparison because the Fremonts were a couple of months old, and I could feel the wear from the frets, but whether that makes a difference, who knows?

As a newbie to the Uke I have tried Aquilas and med brown worths on a makala dolphin ( I know its a cheapy but thought i would compare the strings n the same uke ) They both have a totally different playing feel, The worths seem taughter to me ( mind you I do stretch them as I tune, old guitar habit ) On the dolphin both strings souns really good, the aquilas give a slightly fuller tone but I have noticed the odd squeak here and there from the aquilas when fretting. The worths sound brighter but are definitely harder on my fingers. As the Worths came in a double length I have put them on my Makala Concert and on that particular uke I much prefer the worths. The body already gives a fuller tone which made the aquilas souns a bit " muddy ". It really is a case of suck em and see with the strings, The only issues I had with the worths was that they appear to take a little longer to settle, which results in tuning more often in the early days, and that when putting them on the uke the have a tendency to slip if not secured properly at the bridge and indeed the peg. I have probably been no help at all but to summarise, they are both great strings, they will sound and play different on different insruments.

One thing I am learning about strings and ukes is there is no right answer. Just because someone (or everyone) likes a particular string on their uke doesn't mean it will work on yours. I am going through that now on 2 of my ukes. I have a Kala solid mahogany concert uke that came from MGM with Aquila strings on it. Didn't sound good at all. Then went to Fremont blacks and it sounded better but still not great. Yesterday I put a set of Martin M600 on it and it sounds the best it ever has. I also have a Tanglewood soprano that I bought from Ukerepublic. It came with Fremont Blacks on it and sounded loud and clear (so much so that I named the uke after my army drill instructor SSG Starnes). Last night I put a set of Hilo's on it and so far I am not impressed. I will try a few more sets of strings on each one until I get the right match. I keep notes as I go through this. I guess what I am saying is experiment with your uke (strings are cheap) and don't necessarily go with the flow. But most of all, have fun with your journey.

I had wondered the same thing when I was ordering some Worths, so I got both. I have a set of Worth clear lights on my Mainland Concert, and while they sound nice, I think they're a bit thinner than what I wanted. I've got Worth brown mediums on my Eleuke, and I like the feel of them much better.

Top Bottom