Wanted: Stromberg-Voisinet resonator

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
Yes - I know this is the longest of longshots, but I have a Stromberg-Voisinet banjo uke that's in great shape, but it is missing its resonator. The resonator that was originally mounted on this model was the mahogany with back inlay and decal and white celluloid binding, and the facing side was graced with a flanged plate adorned with 18 slots - see here:

http://www.banjoukes.com/Manufacturers/Strongberg-Voisinet/Stromberg.html

It may also have mounted this flatter resonator with 24 holes:

http://www.banjoukes.com/Manufacturers/Strongberg-Voisinet/BusterBrown.html

Yes, as I said, a ridiculous longshot. The uke plays wonderfully as is, but that screw in the back looks lonsome...and it cries out for fixing.

Thanks

I am just ecstatic and HAVE to reply to any post that says anything about a Stromberg-Voisinet Banjo uke. I have one, it needs fixed, but they're really beautiful instruments. Sadly, it's really hard to find anything about them. I have the Buster Brown style resonator, but I won't sell. That little banjolele in the corner just waiting to be fixed makes me smile just to look at her.

The article you linked to is the only place I've ever found information on it. It's a shame really. Sorry I can't sell you it's resonator, but my UAS is really bad right now, and it was my Great- Grandpa's. Good luck to you I really hope you find a resonator for it.

-Nathan

Well -

I didn't, but I did just pick up a late '20s Stromberg-Voisinet in Excellent condition for $175. A total bargain, it only needs a head replacement. Much like the head replacement I will need when my wife finds out I've gone and bought another one.

How can I hide a banjo ukulele in a three-room Manhattan apartment?

:D

Hey........I want one too . I've got a Stromberg-voisinet banjo uke looking for a resonator. Wait, that means I'd need a new case. Never mind.

That's because that isn't one. Its a Sears Supertone, made by Lange. A beautiful instrument.

Here's my new Stromby I bought from Elderly last month - put on a new head and dressed the frets - it's sounding really good now: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-1182.htm

Speaking of, the Stromby in the link below is one that somebody should snap up. It would be me, but my wife is ready to KILL ME.

http://elderly.com//vintage/items/180U-1087.htm

Look at that absolutely CRAZY synthetic material. I once say that called Duralene or faux crocodile skin - though it really doesn't look anything like crocodile skin...

Last edited:
I'm so glad that there are other Stromby players on this earth. :) I should get a call from the luthier sometime this week. I'm so excited!! After we took the banjo uke to the luthier. We walked across the street to a small guitar shop, and what do I find? A Stromby of course! It was in worse shape than mine, which was in pretty good shape to begin with, and it wasn't for sale. Sadly. But, the man who owns the shop claims that he sold Tiny Tim his last ukulele when he lived in Des Moines.

Cool - please do post pictures. I collect all pictures that I can find of SVs; I've never seen a catalogue - I doubt there was one - so I'm trying to mass as much visual information as I can to determine the basic models and options. So far, I've ID'd two 7 inch pot models and four options with 8 inch pots.

Tiny Tim? Excellent! I live in Greenwich Village and my family remembers when he used to hang out among the musicians in Washington Square in the 50's and early 60's and play ukulele. He was, even then and there, regarded as odd. :D

I don't have a resonator for sale but I do own the same model SV as the 1st link in your original post, including an original case. These things really bark! They can be hard to play as the necks are very narrow and I sometimes pull strings off the edge when fretting. I can take pictures or measurements etc if anyone needs it.

I don't have a resonator for sale but I do own the same model SV as the 1st link in your original post, including an original case. These things really bark! They can be hard to play as the necks are very narrow and I sometimes pull strings off the edge when fretting. I can take pictures or measurements etc if anyone needs it.

Would you happen to be willing to sell just the case?

Not at this time. If I get a better hard case at some point then I'd have no problem letting this one go. It's well worn with lots of character.

Just a little side note on my Stromberg-Voisinet.When I got it the old head had "USS Case" written on it. I did some research on it and the ship was in Pearl Harbor when the Japanese attacked. The ship was sunk later in the war. It's not real proof but I think my banjo uke was in Pearl Harbor during the attack.

Wow! I am so happy to find other people who have a Stromberg-Viosinet Ukulele Banjo! My grandfather gave me his way back in 1965. It has been sitting in my closet collecting dust all this time.

We moved to Alabama 2 years ago from Michigan, and I finally found a place in Homewood, Alabama that would re-string it and get it back to a playing condition. It is in the shop now...a real old family String shop. Just the kind of place you'd think would be in Alabama

I'll post a picture of it when I get it back! It is great there are more of them around!!

That's great. Please DO post your pictures.

As for collecting these - there's an 8" ope back S-V on ebay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280583129946&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It's id'd by the seller as a luthier's project, but its in good to VG condition - the only issue are the tuners' plates on the headstock - easily removed and cleaned, or replaced. Just needs a cleaning, strings and a bridge and its ready to go.

I'm debating whether or not to bid on it, but I know the missus would have my head...

How do you post pics in a post instead of a link. Trying to show you my S-V Uke that is almost restored. It has the plasticine stuff on resonator, rim and a diamond of it on the back of the peghead.

How do you post pics in a post instead of a link. Trying to show you my S-V Uke that is almost restored. It has the plasticine stuff on resonator, rim and a diamond of it on the back of the peghead.
See this thread. . . it involves using an image hosting site like photobucket. You'll be posting a more detailed image than using the attachment.

Top Bottom