Channel News Asia to Report on Asian ukulele popularity explosion

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I"ll see if there is a link.

Bad news for me as it will make it harder to find ukes.

But do I already have enough? Maybe so. I got all my ukes in time I guess.

THere is no internet story about it until after the special airs next week.

basically, the tv trailer was a teaser. I thought I was going to see a report last night.

I'd say that Bangkok and Singapore are seeing some support for uke players. I haven't checked in on China and Hong Kong - oh, I do remember there were some ukes available in Beijing. I wasn't interested in them at the time.

I found out why this news organization is showing this special all week.

James Hill will be in Singapore for a concert on Tuesday night then workshops for some part of the week.

I'm gonna try and go.

Oh, Here is my contribution to sharing the uke. THis little girl lives in Jakarta Indonesia. I work with her Dad and her daddy plays guitar. SHe told him he plays too loud. Dad and I devised a plan to see if her interest could be sparked in ukes. I gave a Mahalo to her dad- a decent beginner one - it just cost about $40. She didn't bite. I then gave dad a pink Mahalo ($22) to see if she'd bite.

SHe did but she is smart. She said. 'This doesn't sound right" Yes, those cheap colored rainbow Mahalos don't tune worth bugger all. I told Dad he'd have to fix the tuners. So he did. And Dad and the girl now play uke together.

THe problem is now the 2 year old wants in on the uke love. :)

ukeIndonesia.jpg

Last edited:
Great story and picture!

Yes, I told dad to take pictures of her getting the pink uke. Unfortunately, I didn't make sure to tell him that she needs to know it comes from Dad and not from me. I think the smile would have been much wider if she knew the uke came from daddy. So, I told him to work out a story with mom to let the girl know it came from Dad.

Top Bottom