the Nalu Music site is gone

janeray1940

Reaction score
Sad news: looks like the domain name for the late John King's Nalu Music site just expired and the site is parked. I realize this is a long shot, but was wondering if anybody here knows who (if anybody) is maintaining it?

Perhaps it's the trained archivist in me (MLIS grad here) but I would hate to see such a wonderful resource vanish into cyberspace forever. I suspect I'm not the only one here who would gladly volunteer to help preserve it - but I have no idea who to contact, so if anybody has any suggestions, do tell. Thanks much!

Hi janeray, Thanks for this.

John King is the main reason I play the ukulele and love Hawaian music. I have visited the Nalu Music site many times and once wrote an email regarding the store in case Mr Kings widow or children were keeping the site and store running.

It would be an awful shame for the site disappear as it is full of fascinating stuff on ukuleles and hawaian music. If you, as an archivist, can think up a way, I'd be glad to chip in too.

Thanks again

Hi Gipserio - here's what I'm thinking: someone would need to take over payment of the web hosting and domain name fees, and be able to make sure the site doesn't "break" either by doing the coding themselves, or being willing to pay someone to do it. All pretty straightforward - but I'm at a loss as to whom to contact. The domain is registered through GoDaddy, but I don't know who hosts the site.

Most sites want you to use their nameserver so they can manage the account. The DNS nameserver is also GoDaddy's, so it's likely they're hosting the site as well.

Updated Date: 12-aug-2010
Creation Date: 11-aug-2001
Expiration Date: 11-aug-2011

The only admin contact is John himself.
With these settings, it may be impossible to resurrect it.

Last edited:
Thanks DaveVisi. I've been told that his heirs would be able to take over as admins - not sure if this is true or not, but I'm looking into it.

I've been dealing with a site where GoDaddy is only the registrar and we recently had to go into the account as other than the registered admin but with all the correct info, to change the name servers to point to a new site as the web host was bought out and the site migrated (badly) to a new company's servers. GoDaddy was very easy to deal with so IF you can contact the heir, and they give permissions to add in new admin priviledges I don't think that would be a problem. It's convincing the heirs you are legit and would be willing to keep the site up, running and to manage it that may take some effort.

I'd think if you approached it as a sort of living memorial and a way for John King to continue on in the hearts of uke lovers, old, new, and those still to be bitten by the flea, you'd have a good chance. They could also continue doing merchandising with a little direction.

It's a great idea, I have enjoyed the site as well and am sad to hear it is parked.

Last edited:
Teek, thanks for the info - I have managed to find a couple of email contacts for friends and family of Mr. King and have sent out inquiries along those lines.

BobN, thank you too - I did find the site on the Wayback Machine but hadn't realized that the 2007 archive was more complete.

I think John King was an Hawaii transplant living in Florida.....might have relatives still living here...
John was Big in the ukulele movement....and is surely missed....Thanks, John ....You've
contributed so much,,were all grateful and appricate it soooo much!!! MM Stan..

Sorry guys, John King was not of Hawaiian ancestry and only resided in Hawai'i briefly as a child when his father was assigned there. Excerpt from his profile on the Catholic Music Network site:

John King began learning the Hawaiian ukulele at the age of six, while living on the island of Oahu, by secretly imitating his mother’s playing technique and studying the lesson materials provided by a kumu, or teacher, who was an aged Hawaiian woman. An accomplished player, his mother had won several talent contests at Waikiki and as a result had been presented with beautiful koa wood ukuleles made by the prestigious firm of Kamaka & Sons.

Here's another article from the New York Times after his passing . . .

Last edited:
I'm bummed. Can we still get his CDs online?

Royal Hawaiian Music and John King Plays Bach are available through Elderly and possibly FleaMarket Music.

Top Bottom