Mahalo U30G VS Beavercreek BCUKE? Which to buy? Need help fast!

whysosrs

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a beginner that started Ukulele, and was looking for one under my budget. I stumbled across two. Can you guys help me pick? Thanks!

Mahalo U30G (40 bucks, 50 with strings)
http://www.teamintlco.com/Mahalo/Pr..._ID=116&ProductSub2Type_ID=146&Product_ID=245

Beavercreek BCUKE (30 bucks)
http://www.beavercreekguitars.com/bcuke.html

P.S. The store that sells the Mahalo U30G, said he could include some lanikai strings so it won't sound like a 40 dollar Uke. It's just an extra ten bucks.

Once again, thank you so much!

Thanks for the help, but I REALLY don't want to buy online and pay shipping for a UKE. I think the Mahalo U30G with Aquila strings are 45 bucks total maybe? I just can't decide, I saw reviews, and they all seemed so negative =P. And I'm really stressed about the part where they keep going out of tune. Would Aquila strings fix this?

Any strings will do that when they're new. They're still stretching, and will be for somewhere between a week or two usually. IMO the Mahalo is more a toy than a real instrument. The Makala has gotten some rave reviews here on UU, and I have one personally that I love to play. Its my only soprano size, and I haven't bothered to upgrade the sopranos because this one is that good. My recommendation still stands, but in the end its your call. I've never heard of the Beaver Creek uke so i can't really say much about that one. My friend started off with a Mahalo, and I played it for about a week before my Makala came, and there's a humongous difference between the two.

Strings won't fix an untunable uke. An untunable uke will make you miserable and frustrated. You might want to spend a little more money to avoid that.
I would also recommend MGM, his reputation for customer service is top notch.

Thank you guys so much for the replies! I looked at MGM's store and was about to buy, but I live in Canada and shipping is 35 bucks! That's around +70 bucks in total. Sorry, that is over my budget. Perhaps you guys know local Canadian stores with Ukes under 50, or with free shipping to there?? P.S. I live in Calgary.

That shipping is a deal killer. There should be some Canadian stores listed in the UU directory in Buying Tips?

Just to throw a curve-ball into this discussion I own 2 Mahalo 'ukuleles which I LOVE and would never sell one being my U-320P Pineapple which I purchased over 12 years ago, and the second my Mahalo UB-30RC Solid Top Camp 'ukulele a couple months ago.
31PTxWU%2BllL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
41HI-wvsKML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They both came with acceptable intonation and action, and all I had to do was dump the cheap China strings for Aquilas and they both sound great. These are probably both a tad above budget running about $50.00 each but I consider them a bargain, and allot of fun. Not all Mahalos are junk.
In my experience Aquila strings will improve the sound of any laminate top 'ukulele. $10 sounds a tad steep for 'ukulele strings. The geared tuners on the one you're think of shouldn't slip so just let the strings stretch out, it'll take around 5 days or so to settle. Check the intonation of either 'ukulele at the twelfth fret before buying. Pick the one that sounds best.
My cheap Mahalo pineapple got me back into 'ukulele playing after a long hiatus when that was the max I could afford so it's kind of special. A Mahalo in the hand beats a Kamaka in the display case. ;)
If you can find a Makala Dolphin locally or any Makala that would be great too.

Last edited:
Well, the U30G was 40 bucks, but he'll give it to me for 36, and the strings were 12, and now 10.50. ( I think a sale). Also, what do I check for when buying the Mahalo?

Bump, I'm buying this tomorrow and would really like to know =/

My aunt is going to Hawaii, but I don't want to bother her on her vacation to go Uke hunting xD

Top Bottom