2 Mainland Sopranos Plus Hilos

luvdat

Reaction score
Just to add that I LOVE Hilos on my Mainland sopranos!!! Yes, the underrated even despised Hilos.
Too lazy to review the Mainland mahogany in a more formal manner except to say this: the mahogany, heavier in weight (than the red cedar) is a very full balanced sexy soprano that I must admit I pick up more often than the red cedar. The Hilos provide the red cedar with more fullness. I look for that. And balance. With the Hilos, the tendency to C and A string imbalance with the Aquilas on the red cedar (which I could compensate for with playing style) is gone. Both ukes with the Hilos allow for single note articulation in the midst of chordal play minus the finger noise of the brighter yet drier Aquilas and with more than "sufficient" volume. I like a warmer sound overall. With Hilos I always feel I can dig in more when I need to with my left hand. My sense while playing these ukes with Hilos: more expressive and more solid and more real. I do think there's something true not infrequently said about Aquilas and not necessarily really bad: you can get the sense at times that you're playing the strings more than you're uke. Not so with the Hilos.

In short, this review is a nice or not so nice way of saying that those who bash Hilos IMO are somewhat clueless. They are clueless at least to this reality: we all don't have to share the same ubiquitous tonal preference. Nor the same volume demands. String choices are NOT a religion. I already have a religion. I'm a member of the Russian Orthodox Church, which BTW has some very fine singing (minus instruments) and far less control freakery than many string choice/instrument options discussions.

Trust yourself is what I've learned. Go for the sound YOU want. I got that sound with Hilos on both these Mainlands. With even better intonation!!!

Hey, it's only been a few days so I won't state a favorite between the 2 ukes except to say in maybe 3 reviews in one that I'm very happy. It's a testimony I think to the overall quality of the Mainland sopranos that these ukes could probably accomodate more than a few players with differing tonal preferences though various string options. As a mini-editorial: I think playing style gets undervalued in string choice discussions. I like the Hilos on these ukes for both strumming and fingerstyle and everything in between!!!

Let the weekend begin!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your mainlands, and congratulations on your liking Hilo strings on em'.
In short, this review is a nice way of saying that those who bash Hilos IMO are somewhat clueless. They are clueless at least to this reality: we all don't have to share the same ubiquitous tonal preference.

I haven't really liked Hilos on much. Probably near the bottom of my list of preferred strings, given the choice....I haven't tried them on my mainland though.

Can you provide a sound sample of each of your ukes? That would be cool to not only hear the hilos on them, but to get a good idea of the differences between the cedar and hog. Always seems to be a big choice for potential mainland owners.

Last edited:
Aloha LuvDatUke,
I agree...stop the hilo bashing....he he, only kidding.....everyone has their own preference, I have them on a couple of my ukes and like them...
They might not have the volume of Aquilla's, but they make up in balance of tones....plus they won't over power my voice.
I use them if it works for me...any brand!!!! no loyalities when it comes to strings as Ahnko Honu said....MM Stan...

Last edited:
Congratulations on your mainlands, and congratulations on your liking Hilo strings on em'.

I haven't really liked Hilos on much. Probably near the bottom of my list of preferred strings, given the choice....I haven't tried them on my mainland though.

Can you provide a sound sample of each of your ukes? That would be cool to not only hear the hilos on them, but to get a good idea of the differences between the cedar and hog. Always seems to be a big choice for potential mainland owners.

Maybe in the next few weeks....actually leaning towards a MySpace Music account. Side by side I would say the red cedar is somewhat thinner tonally overall but more varied, textured...

With respect to tuning, and the last "big decision" LOL with these sopranos: I'm keeping them both in D tuning...which makes a good amount of these "reviews" of mine jammed into one like a lot of reviews on strings and sopranos (in C tuning)...lacking.

Probably what I walk away with is that D tuning with sopranos changes everything...usually for the even better.

I'd love to hear Ken M. do side by sides with sopranos in C and sopranos in D with various string options....

Last edited:
Ach, wish I'd read this sooner. I would've added a pack of Hilos to my shopping basket when buying from Elderly the other day.

Ach, wish I'd read this sooner. I would've added a pack of Hilos to my shopping basket when buying from Elderly the other day.

In D-tuning on a soprano...I love them. On the mahogany: very very Hawaiian...for lack of a better word, LOL...

Every so often I say this: how come for someone like James Hill (yeah he can make any string choice work, yada yada yada) Hilos for reentrant tuning are fine...but for...connosieurs...

I just received in the mail 12 packs from Elderly, LOL...

Last edited:

Aloha LuvDatUke,
Was it a good deal or plain UAS?????
I'm sure you're joking...right????
I guess you're sold on them, leaves no room for testing others.....eh
I'm glad you're happy with your mainlands...have a Good evening and take care..
MM Stan...

i have a mahogany mainland soprano and it is way too bassy for my personal taste, but i am glad you enjoy yours!

i have a mahogany mainland soprano and it is way too bassy for my personal taste, but i am glad you enjoy yours!

For me as I said went with D-tuning...

Aloha LuvDatUke,
Was it a good deal or plain UAS?????
I'm sure you're joking...right????
I guess you're sold on them, leaves no room for testing others.....eh
I'm glad you're happy with your mainlands...have a Good evening and take care..
MM Stan...

I actually did get a 12 pack of Hilos...

Following Luvdat's many glowing Hilo testimonies I tried them on my spruce-top Kala soprano, and was distinctly underwhelmed - they felt somehow 'dead' and lacking in tone.

So I retuned my soprano to D tuning and suddenly the strings made a lot more sense - whether it's the extra tension, or just the tone of the D being a better match, but they sounded absolutely fine.

D, at least for now, isn't the sound I'm looking for so I took them off and back on with the Worth browns - but for anyone playing in D the Hilos are definitely worth a try...

Yeah my recommendation has an asterisk...D6 tuning. But I also must admit my bias and generally prefer sopranos in D6 tuning. Things makes sense for me in C6 with concert ukes.

Last edited:

wanna sell it? lol
Tiff

Last edited:
Top Bottom