Worn-through finish on new concert.

Graymalkin

Reaction score
Hiya,

So, my new uke (an Ohana CK-50GS) finally cleared customs and arrived and, after a busy few days, I've finally had a couple of hours free to have a go on it.

Love the setup and action, and like the deeper tone and extra volume, but it just seems so big - maybe even too big! Nowhere near as comfortable to play as a soprano. Wonder if I'll get used to it, or if I'm just a soprano kid at heart...?

Anyway, while playing it I noticed a few things - there's a chip on the corner of the headstock that's taken some of the layers of finish off, and the gluing around the neck in very clumsy, but they seem to be purely cosmetic. Aren't they?

4a19f25d.jpg

It's around the soundhole that has me more concerned. The arc of the soundhole next to the G string looks like the finish is so worn the wood is exposed...

5d88cf81.jpg

fd233c5d.jpg

...is this a serious thing that I should be concerned about (ie potentially damaging, rather than cosmetic)? It's also annoying as I'm really not sure I'm going to be keeping this concert and, despite it actually being new, there's no way I could honestly describe it as 'nearly new' if I do decide to sell it and get another soprano instead.

Any thoughts, tips, or comments appreciated.

Cheers for reading.

Contact Ken Middleton (pm) he is a rep for Ohana ukes. Maybe he can guide you. Or contact the seller and tell them about your problems. Maybe send it back for another uke? If you are not happy (100%) I would take steps with the seller to correct the problems, even going so far as to get your money back.
Good luck and don't take no for an answer!!!

Last edited:
Agreed! I wouldn't settle for these problems if you bought the uke new. Used would be a different story. I also agree with contacting Ken. I'm sure he'll know what you should do....

Thanks for the advice, chaps, I've taken it on board and done as you suggested. Cheers!

Aloha GrayMalkin,
If you have issues with your purchase, call them back and and discuss it with them..
If you paid for a new car and it had scratches you would't accept that either....
MM Stan...

As you posted your issues in a public forum, Graymalkin, please let us know how things turn out. If the seller/manufacturer sort it all out for you it would be good to give them the credit for doing so.

If they don't take care of you as they should... well, I'm sure we'd be interested to know that too. ;)

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and, in the spirit of saluting good customer service, I'm pleased to say the situation has been resolved quickly and amicably.

I emailed MGM and, despite being half-way 'round the world, got a reply almost instantly. After sending him some 'photos he immediately offered me a fair discount for the flaws, which was accepted. He was efficient and friendly, and the whole thing was resolved within a matter of hours. Many thanks.

I'd also like to salute Ken Middleton, who was extraordinarily helpful and prompt with his responses. A true gentleman and scholar.

As for the uke itself I think I'm getting more used to the concert size now - it still feels big, but the tone is lovely. And I'm (possibly) being dragged to my first open mic in a week or two, so I think I'll take the Ohana rather than my Kala soprano - as well as the extra volume, the dings in it mean I'm less inclined to treat it with kid gloves.

Thanks again to everyone.

And I'm (possibly) being dragged to my first open mic in a week or two, so I think I'll take the Ohana rather than my Kala soprano - as well as the extra volume, the dings in it mean I'm less inclined to treat it with kid gloves.
Now, that's the spirit! :) Ukes are meant to be played and enjoyed and, well, dings happen.

Top Bottom