Best strings for tuning denor down

I've done the same thing to convert a tenor into a small travel guitar that I can take to play along with other guitarists and their music without having to transpose in my head. Much of the time I can just watch the other players and match their chords.

You'll pretty much have to buy new strings gauged for that tuning. Aquila makes them. You can buy them from www.juststrings.com or your favorite dealer.

Last edited:
I've done the same thing to convert a tenor into a small travel guitar that I can take to play along with other guitarists and their music without having to transpose in my head. Much of the time I can just watch the other players and match their chords.

You'll pretty much have to buy new strings gauged for that tuning. Aquila makes them. You can buy them from www.juststrings.com or your favorite dealer.
Found them, Thanks!

Just curious as to why you are doing that?

One of my tenors is tuned to DGBE, it gives me some options when playing with others in keys different than I am used too.
The Aguila strings are great, Martin has a set as well as that is the way Martin tenors were strung at the factory.
Both are high D, but I know some folks who switch it to a low D.

Top Bottom