Martin Style 3 questions

TCK

Reaction score
Do we have a resident Martin expert on the forum? I have a style 3 Soprano Uke (3M) and I would lie to know more about it.
I am fairly certain it is post war (dots instead of diamonds) but other than that- I know very little about it. If you have the time, I have the questions
Thanks
Dave

Do we have a resident Martin expert on the forum? I have a style 3 Soprano Uke (3M) and I would lie to know more about it.
I am fairly certain it is post war (dots instead of diamonds) but other than that- I know very little about it. If you have the time, I have the questions
Thanks
Dave

Aloha Dave,
Thanks for the sharing the pictures of your martin....It's an awesome ukulele you've got there....It's martin style 3M and looks to be circa late 30's to early 40's
Prices on these have skyrocketed......I would give a low ball of what I would pay of $1100.00 to $1200.00 for it. On the
market I've seen these in excellent condition go as high as $2500.00 or double in original unrefinished excellent condition and sound quality.
You mention checking on yours, it happens alot on these models....I had 2M that had alot of checking from these finishes and it sounded awesome. You
lucky guy, Yours seem to be in good unrestored original condition. where did you score the bad guy?? I've been lookin for one long time...maybe a 3k... MM Stan..

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Stan- hope it was OK to PM you a few questions I have.
I wrote the story of how I got the Martin in my blog if anyone is interested- I think it is a pretty good one. Not too often someone gets given one of these...or at least that is my assumption.
An old Ukulele

Aloha TCK, no prooblem, send me a pm anytime...
Had problems sending, Hope you received my message..if not let me know....I cleaned my mailbox and
noticed invalid link if message was not sent contact adminastrator.. thanks MM Stan..
P.S. try sending me a Pm ,,,jus checking if it works..

Hello TCK,
I have a friend who has the same version of the Style 3. He doesn't play uke and I am hoping to buy it from him. I was in Denver this week and went to a vintage instrument store (The Denver Folklore Center, a really great place!), and was telling the guys there about the uke. They whipped out a book and narrowed it down to a 3 year period. According to the book (I did not see the name, but it was a Martin guide, obviously mostly about guitars), Martin switched from diamond markers to dots on the Style 3 in 1945, and in '48 they discontinued the white thingy at the bottom of the body. So yours (and the one I'm hoping to get) are both '45-'48.
Enjoy it!
Chris

Top Bottom