Ukulele learning software?

hbosslacrosse

Reaction score
Hey UU forums! I want to start learning ukulele but there are no ukulele teachers in my area and i want to teach myself. I want to learn by using a software instead of books because it is more interactive. Anyone know of a good software? Thanks in advance!

Just go to the UU homepage. There are lessons there that are free, and very highly thought of....

Just go to the UU homepage. There are lessons there that are free, and very highly thought of....

Its true. I just learned Island in the Sun the "right way" thanks to UU!

As soon as I get my tenor, I'm planning on getting li'l rev's uke book #1 and have already started looking through all the UU videos (uke minutes are great!) and ukulele mike's video's. also might get the uke 101 download at ukulele hunt. Plenty of info out there.

In addition to Aldrine's many excellent video lessons on YouTube, I would HIGHLY recommend Lil Rev's ukulele books for learning many uke & music reading basics without being overwhelmed. If you are learning to read music, get the Book/CD combination. The lessons are very sequential and will give you an excellent foundation for future music making.

To expand your repertoire to include many well known songs check out Ukulele Mike Lynch on www.YouTube.com He has several channel names:
MusicTeacher2010
BeatlesUkuleleMike
EndlessSummerUkulele
DisneyUkuleleMike
ChristmasUkulele

You won't go wrong learning from Lil Rev, Ukulele Mike & Aldrine. They each have their own special emphasis. Learn from them and you'll be sounding awesome in no time!

Check out Ukulele Bart, he has a web site and sells a DVD of lessons that he teaches. He is also a member at UU.

Keep in mind... Jake didn't learn from software. Hendrix didn't learn from software. Santana didn't learn from software. Herb didn't learn from software. Nor did they (as far as I know) learn from videos. It's not bad, but seems kind of artificial to me (at least the software part, videos are kind of like sitting down and just watching somebody play).

Just sayin'...

I know learning from a book seems really intimidating, but sometimes it's the most convenient and cost effective way to get started playing any instrument. I just started playing the ukulele within the past week, after receiving one for my birthday. First thing I did was go to the nearest music shop to go get some instruction and fun cover books =) I chose the Hal Leonard Ukulele Method Book 1 by Lil' Rev, which is mentioned in this post already. It's not hard to follow or figure out, especially if you buy the one with the audio CD to accompany it. I really recommend giving it a go, I haven't been confused yet.

This guy at the KoAloha booth during the Uke Fest was working on software that would mimic Guitar Hero. He showed me how it worked (piezo stick on pick up goes on uke and you play along with an ipad picking the strings and fretting as the ipad scrolled through a song like Guitar Hero. It was pretty cool. I can't remember the name of the site right now.

Another great Uke player called Dominator posted some tabs (http://dominator.ukeland.com/index2.shtml). He posted most tabs in PDF and in a program called Powertab, which is free for download (legally).
You can download the program by clicking the Powertab picture on the link.

In that program you can play the music and listen how it's meant to be played. It's a huge help as it helps you to get the right rythm etc..

you say there's nobody in your area to teach you, but you don't tell us what area it is. There may be an accomplished player from this forum in your area who could help you get started...

honestly dude - the advice here is good - the uke is popular cos its very quick to pick up and get going - get a songbook, get a chordbook, use this site, and youtube vids - learn half a dozen main chords and practice.

You will be going in no time - trust me.

Keep in mind... Jake didn't learn from software. Hendrix didn't learn from software. Santana didn't learn from software. Herb didn't learn from software. Nor did they (as far as I know) learn from videos. It's not bad, but seems kind of artificial to me (at least the software part, videos are kind of like sitting down and just watching somebody play).

[puts on professional educator hat]
People all have different learning styles. While some people need to learn from books, some people can learn best from watching other people (live or on video), and some people learn just by hearing and translating that directly from their ears to their fingers.

There is no such thing as "the right way" to learn anything. There is merely the way YOU learn.

For more information on learning styles, please Google "Gardner's Multiple Intelligences".

[removes professional educator hat]

[puts on professional educator hat]
People all have different learning styles. While some people need to learn from books, some people can learn best from watching other people (live or on video), and some people learn just by hearing and translating that directly from their ears to their fingers.

There is no such thing as "the right way" to learn anything. There is merely the way YOU learn.

For more information on learning styles, please Google "Gardner's Multiple Intelligences".

[removes professional educator hat]

I agree there is no right way to learn - having only one way to learn would suck. But it's just my observation that a lot of phenominal players were able to learn coming out of an era that didn't even have CDs.

'Ukulele Chord Finder is a fun free program you can download. Go here: http://www.ukulele.nl/ and at bottom left of page will be the download link. ;)

Aloha Hbosslacrosse,
Another awesome ukulele resource is Keonepax and MusicTeacher2010 for awesome video tutorials
on You Tube..Just google them...they're FREE!!Let us know, what you think of them..."Keep them strings vibrating"
MM Stan....

I agree there is no right way to learn - having only one way to learn would suck. But it's just my observation that a lot of phenomenal players were able to learn coming out of an era that didn't even have CDs.
*Fixed the spelling. You can take the teacher out of the classroom...*

Jake's my age. I assure you, when I was a kid, we had CDs. And VCRs. And even computers connected to the Internet! I posted on my first BBS in 1983.

Just because people learned to play music before the Silicon Age, doesn't mean they neccesarily played/learned 'better' than the people playing/learning now. It's a false value statement.

Also? I love the Ukulele Chord Finder. I use it every day. :D

I was going through my ukulele bookmarks, and was on a site that immediately made me think of this conversation. My nephew turned me on to it, and it presents the information like nothing I've ever seen before. Don't know if this is what floats your goat, but please check-out:

Ukulele Beatles Fun!

Before I posted, I did a quick google search of UU, which reminded me of an invaluable resource in the "Beginners" section. This top-locked thread has dozens of great links:

'Ukulele Resources (Updated)

I have a question relating to this thread. There's a series of how to's on youtube called the ukelele underground minute (I think) and i have several of those on my playlist. Is that from this site? because i think they are helpful though I'm thinking I'll still need to find someone local to correct a few things....
I think marysue is right in that people learn in different ways but ultimately it is the desire to learn something that makes the difference using whatever tools are handy and if the internet and how to books are what's available you go from there. you can always while vacationing or traveling book a session with teachers. That's what I was planning on doing as there aren't many teachers near me that i know of... yet.
And if there are players near me please feel free to make a few bucks teaching!
Have a beautiful day,,
Katie

Top Bottom