First electric ukulele

vbwstripes

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first ukulele build, and I'm building it Fender style with a bolt on neck. This was inspired by JBennett's tele build on here right now.

Here is my design
attachment.php

Making the master templates
attachment.php

I used the straight edge of the MDF so I didn't mess up the straightness of the neck like I would have if I sanded it straight.
attachment.php

The working templates will be made out of poplar because MDF is horrible.
attachment.php

Sanded close to the line on the poplar.
attachment.php

The first go around on the neck chipped pretty big.
attachment.php

Built two body templates, one will be for the neck pocket.
attachment.php

All routed out.
attachment.php

This is how I will get the neck pocket tight.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I place a ruler on the centerline and center the two side strips for the neck pocket template.
attachment.php

Clamped down.
attachment.php

Fits pretty good.
attachment.php

Bolivian Rosewood neck.
attachment.php

And end of the day so far.
attachment.php

Wow that's looking awesome so far!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

What are you planning for the electronics/pickup/etc?

I was actually logging on the UU forums right now to ask about this because I am very interested in building an electric uku once my first build is completed(hopefully in less than a month)... I really like the eleukes and how they have the mp3 input jack also, does anyone have any suggestions on this? How about pickups, any recommendations? Sorry, but I really don't know much about electric guitar/ukulele hardware, I still have a lot of reading to do in this subject before I dive in!

Looking good though man!

Wow that's looking awesome so far!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

What are you planning for the electronics/pickup/etc?

I was actually logging on the UU forums right now to ask about this because I am very interested in building an electric uku once my first build is completed(hopefully in less than a month)... I really like the eleukes and how they have the mp3 input jack also, does anyone have any suggestions on this? How about pickups, any recommendations? Sorry, but I really don't know much about electric guitar/ukulele hardware, I still have a lot of reading to do in this subject before I dive in!

Looking good though man!

I can't really use a neck pickup with the cutaway the way it is, but that's ok because I have a preference for single bridge pickup guitars anyway. I will probably use either one of those mini GFS humbuckers that have the cover over them, or a rail type humbucker. I think that the regular mandolin and ukulele pickups are just too limited in availability. Admittedly I don't have a pickup for it yet though. The mp3 input seems like a really cool idea, but I'm going to keep it simple. Thanks for the comments.

Moongazermusic.com is now the US dealer for Almuse pickups. I'd highly recommend them for a steel string electric. I've been working on the MP3 system with little luck. I found a circuit diagram that supposedly will work but I haven't built it yet.

Andrew

Looks VeRy SweeT... l-o-v-e the body shape with the cutaway. I agree a single PU will suffice in the bridge or middle position. What are your plans on staining/painting? Great job so far... please post the completed pix when ready. :)

Andrew,

Those Almuse pickups seem kind of pricey to me, but I guess you get what you pay for. The EMG that they have is cheap and it looks pretty cool too. I may try that first, and it looks like the almuse is the same shape as the emg, so I could always swap it out if I'm not happy with it. I was planning on using the moongazer bridge too, so that will keep shipping down.

Telebob,

I was kind of thinking an oil finish, Truoil. I'm also trying to decide what type of wood to use for the body. I have some ash, and I was going to pick up some mahogany, but I was almost thinking that the mahogany wouldn't bring out enough contrast because the neck is kind of reddish. Any input is welcome.

I'd advise against ash, for a number of reasons but primarily because its so heavy and difficult to work with. I typically build my solid bodies from mahogany or walnut. I used to use alder but walnut was easier to get in the thickness I use. I'd like to offer a tip. Don't settle on a neck width until you know the string spacing at the nut and bridge. You don't want to go to narrow. Draw it out and compare it to where the neck meets the body to make sure you allow for proper string spacing.

I tried to go with a string spacing that seemed common of other concerts at the nut. The string spacing is 3/8ths with a total width of 1 3/8ths inches at the nut. It does seem kind of thin to me, but I'm used to a guitar, so I really don't know. I used the dimensions provided by moongazer for the bridge string spacings to determine the shape of my neck. So, if they are true as listed on the website then we should be good. I know I should have waited until I had it in my hand to start, but I couldn't wait. I agree on the ash, I am building an ash tele right now and it is a real pain.

Andrew, I've just realized that you supply the bridges to moongazer. Thanks for helping me out, and by the way can you get the piezo saddled versions through moongazer or go through you?

Hey, that's looking cool. Off to a great start. It looks like a cross between a Fender Telecaster and a Parker Fly! Two designs I never imagined coming together, but it looks nice. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.

J

hey zdiver7, I am building an electric ukulele too, and I couldn't find a pickup, so I made one. It costed me 12 dollars to buy the parts (I already have a soldering iron). It is just made of a piezo buzzer, and a 1/4" phone jack. It only took about ten minutes to make. On the phone jack, there are 3 pieces of metal that stick up. You solder the black wire to the middle one, and the red wire to the one on the right. it works by vibrations, so you wont need to put metal strings on if you don't want to.

Top Bottom