A Vintage Pineapple Full of Karma

Hualani

Reaction score
Talk about another confused seller, but this one is on Etsy.

The Karma Ukulele looks pristine including the 1930's blue Hawaii Kamaka headstock label. The only thing that looks old is the aged paper label inside the ukulele and the aged Gretsch package with an extra set of strings. Either this ukulele has never been played in 75 years and kept pristine by a collector or it has been rebuilt.

The photos are clickable to the Etsy links.

Almost tempted to fly to California to examine it, but may settle for an apple instead:

What a great deal, been looking for one of these to replace the one my dad owned that I learned to play on but that was stolen over 30 years ago. There have been several on local Craigslist recently at nice prices, why do these deals show when I'm financially destitute. I hope you can get Hualani.

I am too afraid to buy something so pristine that may fall apart in a hot delivery van during the dog days heat. Something like that, I would rather purchase in person and authenticate. I'm recovering from the financial set backs earlier in the year with the son became disabled, but electric bill is super high from 100-105F temperatures. I would rather invest in luthier building supplies at this time. That's how I found that pristine vintage Kamaka pineapple. Was looking for bamboo boxes to take apart and antique Tunbridge tea boxes.

Aloha Hualani,
thanks For sharing......I agree it looks pristene..I have no experience with Etsy, what do you think of them and do they
accept pay pal?? I wonder if just the body was restored, because where the string package is(maybe covering the pineapple decal is on longer)placed and body is lighter than neck.
For three hundred bucks, it's a hell of a deal even refinished.. very tempting..gotta think about it...I know if I think it's gone!! HMMM
Malama Pono and A Hui Ho!!! Salamat!!! MM Stan..

Last edited:
I've bought a few things on etsy before. If you need some supplies for art-related stuff, they have some really cool things there at low prices that are hard to find in other places. I'm pretty sure I paid with paypal.

Not sure if $300 is a steal, but then again, I'm not really into the vintage stuff. Looks like a nice instrument though.

But what in the world is that apple uke?!?!

It is a beautiful looking Kamaka; however, when I look closely, there appears to be a piece of scotch tape on the side/top. I think that there is another one running lengthwise on the back and side. Hmmmmmmmmmm

But what in the world is that apple uke?!?!

The apple uke is handcrafted by a North Carolina luthier artist Paul Celentano who does very playful, acoustic instruments. The apple sounds like a cross between a mandolin and tenor ukulele. Here is a French review of the apple:

Last edited:
It is a beautiful looking Kamaka; however, when I look closely, there appears to be a piece of scotch tape on the side/top. I think that there is another one running lengthwise on the back and side. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Yes, it is shiny new tape cellophane tape, as if the ukulele was recently wrapped-up at say an estate sale and noone has bothered to remove the tape. Shudder, hope the tape gets removed soon before the adhesive sets on the finish...or the heat gets to the tape...:(

Last edited:
Top Bottom