PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Giveaway coming soon. Sponsored by MGM

rayan
06-13-2008, 02:43 PM
We're going to be holding a new contest/drawing shortly. Should be announced within the week. This contest is sponsored by Musicguymic. Check out his ebay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room)... haha as if you guys don't already know who that is. :p

la_ingrit
06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Yeahh!!! cant wait!!!!

russ_buss
06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
hey that's great news! i love the number of contests and "deaching" going on at the UU. this is one awesome website!:nana:

Nelson
06-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Woo hoo!
I <3 the world.

drubin
06-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Lemme guess...MGM's planning to give away one of the Compass Roses he has in his store currently? :rolleyes:;) But seriously, good for UU and good for MGM! Generosity applauded.:worship:

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-13-2008, 03:17 PM
thats cool, can't wait. Hopefully its something not to difficult, then again, good things don't come with out any effort.

degracia
06-13-2008, 04:10 PM
That is goood news. Thanks to UU and MGM for supplying this for the community!

deach
06-13-2008, 04:32 PM
It's about time. LOL just kidding, just kidding!

Plainsong
06-13-2008, 04:55 PM
As long as it's not limited to those who can post a video.... yet again. :(

cMejilla
06-13-2008, 05:53 PM
i just received my koa pili koko from MGM and its sweet. dare i try for another from his MGM's amazing vault?!

experimentjon
06-13-2008, 07:05 PM
OOOH CONTEST! I can't wait! :)

rayan
06-13-2008, 07:46 PM
As long as it's not limited to those who can post a video.... yet again. :(

No videos required for this contest, although it may or may not help. this one will be totally random like the first giveaway.

Plainsong
06-13-2008, 08:52 PM
I never win contests anyway, but then again most people don't, which is why they're contests. Thanks for letting us know and thanks to MGM and UU in general, changing the world, one uke at a time. :worship:

Ukesista
06-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Sounds very interesting:)

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-14-2008, 01:00 AM
No videos required for this contest, although it may or may not help. this one will be totally random like the first giveaway.

oh ok, so its a matter of luck and not skill?? because i tend to lack skill haha! Thank you UU :D

Esy
06-14-2008, 02:41 AM
praise to UU and MGM :worship::worship::worship:

davoomac
06-14-2008, 03:29 AM
Wow the UU guys are amazing. Keep up the good work and thanks MGM!!

Ame
06-14-2008, 08:13 AM
wowowee, soo many uke giveaways/contests. O_O UU is filled with a whole lot of awesome smothered with a ton of amazing. ;) haha wow, I'm hungry. but anywho.

Question, is there a rule or something that if you've won a uke from a previous contest then you can't win any new contests? haha

I'm just wondering before I start trying for any. xP

deach
06-14-2008, 08:26 AM
wowowee, soo many uke giveaways/contests. O_O UU is filled with a whole lot of awesome smothered with a ton of amazing. ;) haha wow, I'm hungry. but anywho.

Question, is there a rule or something that if you've won a uke from a previous contest then you can't win any new contests? haha

I'm just wondering before I start trying for any. xP
I don't have that rule, so please post your guess, if you want....

tripl3thr33
06-14-2008, 08:55 AM
alright! can't wait. i'll be sure to take a chance at this one.

SailQwest
06-14-2008, 09:11 AM
Another contest...how cool! MGM is the man!!!

seeso
06-14-2008, 10:56 AM
As long as it's not "Guess how old MGM is," then I'm all good! :D

deach
06-14-2008, 02:14 PM
MGM - Is it going to be one of new Kalas you got? They look interesting.

faustian bargain
06-14-2008, 05:05 PM
hey, i'm pretty much a lurker here - my first post was to enter that first giveaway - but i just wanted to boast that my wife has bought me one of MGM's Kalas, the spalted maple tenor cutaway, for my birthday (HB to me, yay!). It's supposed to be delivered Monday, so needless to say I will be totally distracted at work all day.

I'm a total novice uker, but I'll try to post a little report about it after I have a chance to fondle, I mean, play it. It looks awesome in the pictures though.

Dealing with Mike has been a pleasure.

-Andrew

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
perhaps its one of those ukuleles worth over $2000, who knows? :P

degracia
06-14-2008, 05:37 PM
Eleuke? No? Whatever happened to that one?

berylbite
06-14-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm on this give-away like butter on bananas.

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-14-2008, 06:40 PM

u eat butter on bananas or just an expression?

Howlin Hobbit
06-14-2008, 10:27 PM

u eat butter on bananas or just an expression?

I was wondering about that myself, but I think I might be scared to find out. :eek:

salukulady
06-15-2008, 12:46 AM
I was wondering about that myself, but I think I might be scared to find out. :eek:

.....like "white on rice", probably just a saying. My dad eats banana, peanut butter, mayonnaise and potato chip sandwiches:nana: Never could get me to eat those.....

davoomac
06-15-2008, 01:23 AM
my friend's grandma eats her lays potato chips with her coffee. She dips it in like cookies and milk or she sticks a whole bunch of chips in the coffee and soaks em and mashes them up. yum! lol :love:

So I'm on this contest like chips on coffee!

Kaneohe til the end
06-15-2008, 01:35 AM
As long as it's not "Guess how old MGM is," then I'm all good! :D

then i would win cuz my dad graduated high school with him at "kasso"

Howlin Hobbit
06-16-2008, 05:10 AM
My dad eats banana, peanut butter, mayonnaise and potato chip sandwiches

I sometimes eat liverwurst sandwiches with mayo and a layer of Ruffles chips. Surprisingly yummy.

laietildaend
06-16-2008, 06:08 AM
ive bot so menny of his ukes =3 im nevr disupoyntid with the quality and variety ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh hhh cant wate omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgom gomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!11:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

LoMa
06-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Instead of direct depositing my paycheck in the bank, it just goes straight to mgm these days... what can I say...

rayan
06-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Hahaha. There will be no guessing for this contest. Just a little elbow grease from people who want to enter.

dnewton2
06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Hahaha. There will be no guessing for this contest. Just a little elbow grease from people who want to enter.

That kinda sounds like work to me. But if it gives me a chance at a new uke... :cool:

DanTelles
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Haha I may as well try it, can't hurt ;) Do they have to be originals or covers?

KamakaTexas
06-16-2008, 01:31 PM
My dad eats banana, peanut butter, mayonnaise and potato chip sandwiches:nana: Never could get me to eat those.....

When I was a kid I made and ate potato chip sandwiches -- just bread, mayo, and potato chips. Yummmm!

deach
06-16-2008, 01:37 PM
When I was a kid I made and ate potato chip sandwiches -- just bread, mayo, and potato chips. Yummmm!

I used Wonder Bread, Miracle Whip and Doritos.

UkuleleHill
06-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Not chips.... But my mom and I like Peanut Butter, Butter, and Lettuce Sandwiches...

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-16-2008, 06:11 PM
i use bread and vegemite, about as exciting it gets for me :)

lovemissheather
06-16-2008, 06:18 PM
i love how this thread has become a dictionary of mixing weird foods. :nana:

salukulady
06-16-2008, 06:56 PM
i use bread and vegemite, about as exciting it gets for me :)
Can't get vegemite in the states anymore, they're not allowed to import it anymore for some reason. I did find some marmite...aren't they similar?

salukulady
06-16-2008, 06:56 PM
i love how this thread has become a dictionary of mixing weird foods. :nana:hijacking a thread.....

Jack33@
06-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Marmite and Vegemite are as similar as marmalade and jam (jelly) or Bananas and Plantains or concerts and sopranos, similar but definatly different. I am lucky enough to have both. My wife has marmite and Jam sandwiches, sometimes with added peanut butter....

....but more importantly what's all this about elbow grease? Hard work? do we have to build all terrain ukes and face a series of off road tasks?

Jack33

mrmr
06-16-2008, 10:05 PM
So what's the word mike? Which uke? What can we do to win?

h-drix
06-17-2008, 02:54 AM
Can't get vegemite in the states anymore, they're not allowed to import it anymore for some reason. I did find some marmite...aren't they similar?

its not illegal, but no one would really care. eating vegemite is like eating death, lol.

14twelve
06-17-2008, 04:01 AM
marmite? never heard of it, probably a rip off of vegemite.. although i don't like the taste of it... only every now and again.

Marmite is the British version (and there's a New Zealand Marmite too). I've tried the others, but do like Vegemite best. It's definitely an acquired taste though. I love sharing it with my American friends and watching their faces when they first try it :D

salukulady
06-17-2008, 04:34 AM
Marmite tastes like beef bullion cubes made into a honey consistency. Not terrible, just weird.

And about hijacking this thread from the original subject, we're just filling time until they announce what we gotta do to win......

Jack33@
06-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Marmite tastes like beef bullion cubes made into a honey consistency.

That sounds a bit more like Bovril. Nice with some salt and pepper and a tiny bit of butter. Bovril went vegan during the BSE and Madcow crises in Britain but now its back to being boiled up cows.

Marmite are doing a celebratory Champagne and Marmite limited edition at the moment, very nice if you like Marmite.

I am not sure there is much left to say about malt extract based condiments.

Do you non-nut allergy sufferers prefer Crunchy or Smooth peanut butter? (just while we wait)

Jack33

salukulady
06-17-2008, 05:39 AM
That sounds a bit more like Bovril. Nice with some salt and pepper and a tiny bit of butter. Bovril went vegan during the BSE and Madcow crises in Britain but now its back to being boiled up cows.

Marmite are doing a celebratory Champagne and Marmite limited edition at the moment, very nice if you like Marmite.

I am not sure there is much left to say about malt extract based condiments.

Do you non-nut allergy sufferers prefer Crunchy or Smooth peanut butter? (just while we wait)

Jack33I prefer Creamy!

mrmr
06-17-2008, 05:42 AM
Sorry, am I just crazy, but there's a uke being given away and you guys are talking about sandwich spread? hahaha.

h-drix
06-17-2008, 06:01 AM
everyone knows that sandwhich spreads are better then any uke out there. duh:rolleyes: lol

redsedge
06-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Cornish clotted cream with strawberry jam makes an exceptional sandwich filling and takes a while to eat - worth noting while we wait...

salukulady
06-17-2008, 06:57 AM
I'm not sure I wanna eat anything with "clotted" in it's name.....

mrmr
06-17-2008, 07:07 AM
Can we just say I win the uke then since I'm the only one interested and everyone is going to die from being "clotted"?

:)

salukulady
06-17-2008, 07:25 AM
I'm guessing clotted cream is something like cottage cream....

h-drix
06-17-2008, 11:41 AM
We're giving away an Eleuke in the next contest. Sponsored by MGM of course since he is the authorized dealer around these parts.

holy poop, i cant wait.:nana::nana::nana:
:nana:

LoMa
06-17-2008, 01:23 PM
mmm mmm mmm
new ukulele for somebody...

mmmmm, delicious!
I like new ukuleles...

mrmr
06-17-2008, 01:31 PM
mmm mmm mmm
new ukulele for somebody...

mmmmm, delicious!
I like new ukuleles...

now that you mention it LoMa… I like ukuleles too.

degracia
06-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey, rayan, do you know when this will be held? I'd love to get a chance at it, but I'll be in LA for a week or so.

laietildaend
06-17-2008, 02:40 PM
:music::love::music:id luv to get nuther uke:love:

SnakeOiler
06-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Cool, after all the money I've given him this year, maybe I can get something back :p

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Cool, after all the money I've given him this year, maybe I can get something back :p

perhaps.. then you may donate to ukulelesreggae because uu love all around ?: D

Jack33@
06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
AAAh! clotted cream! It is not cheesey at all, just creamy, try to get the Cornish stuff of course, I'm not sure waht they do to it in Devon but I try not to touch it. Try a dollop on a plain vanilla icecream cone...or with syrup on a scone...or on fresh strawberries...or with warm apple pie...or at Christmas time the locals here flip the top off a mince pie and drop some in with brandy butter and.....I could do this all day

Anyway the rumour is Eleuke

Is this true?

Jack33

redsedge
06-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Clotted cream is just cream. Very very thick, very very rich. You can slice it - it has consistency of butter that's ready to spread and it tastes like 10,000 angels playing ukulele on a sun-kissed cloud. The best is made by Rhodda's and while it's made in Cornwall (the pig's leg part of the UK, right at the end) it's available online. It doesn't keep.

It's sublime on a warm scone with jam.

nikolo727
06-18-2008, 03:36 PM
great now i want clotted cream and a new ukulele.

add that to the list.....

anyway if you need to sign up for this contest: this is my entry.

lol

salukulady
06-18-2008, 05:31 PM
me too. that stuff sounds yummy! Oh, and the ukes good too.........

mctrmt
06-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Clotted cream is just cream. Very very thick, very very rich. You can slice it - it has consistency of butter that's ready to spread and it tastes like 10,000 angels playing ukulele on a sun-kissed cloud. The best is made by Rhodda's and while it's made in Cornwall (the pig's leg part of the UK, right at the end) it's available online. It doesn't keep.

It's sublime on a warm scone with jam.

It sounds gorgeous.

Can UU have a clotted cream giveaway as well?

deach
06-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Can UU have a clotted cream giveaway as well?

LOL. Sign me up!

salukulady
06-19-2008, 06:19 AM
Okay, we've investigated vegimite, marmite and now clotted cream....how do you all feel about Bangers?

deach
06-19-2008, 06:21 AM
....how do you all feel about Bangers?

The stuff that goes with mash?

salukulady
06-19-2008, 06:24 AM
That's what I hear...but I have no idea what mash is....

dnewton2
06-19-2008, 06:27 AM
Anyway the rumour is Eleuke

Is this true?

Jack33

Rayan said it was an Eleuke in this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3423&page=2).

Howlin Hobbit
06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
...but I have no idea what mash is....

Mashed potatos.

Jack33@
06-20-2008, 01:28 AM
Eleuke sounds like a great prize, I have been reaading reviews of them recently and they seem popular.

Any word on what the competition is yet?

Jack33

PS

Bangers and mash (posh version)
Serves 4
Ready in 50 minutes

Ingredients
1 tbsp vegetable oil
8 pork and herb sausages
700g floury potatoes
2 Cox's apples
1 red onion, sliced
2 tsp flour
150ml red wine
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
50g butter
50ml milk

1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and add the sausages. Cook for 15 minutes, turning to brown all over. Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into even chunks and put into a large pan of cold salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender.
2. Core the apples and cut into wedges. Push the sausages to the edge of the pan and add the apple wedges. Cook for about 2 minutes each side, until turning golden. Remove the apple with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring, for 6-8 minutes, until softened. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, then gradually add the wine, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Pour in 120ml hot water and allow to bubble for a few minutes to thicken the gravy. Return the apple to the pan and season.
3. Drain the potatoes, then put them back in the same pan and return to the heat for about 30 seconds to drive off any excess moisture. Mash well with the butter and milk, and season. Divide the mash between 4 plates and top with the bangers. Spoon over the mustard gravy and apple wedges. Serve with garden peas.

SnakeOiler
06-20-2008, 02:19 AM
I love bangers and mash. Ya' know, everyone always puts down English food, but when I was on tour there with TFD, I thought the food was great. Bangers and mash, fish and chips at 3 a.m., even tried and liked haggis.......yum!

salukulady
06-20-2008, 03:56 AM
Thank you, jack33@. Gonna have an english dinner of bangers and mash at our house soon. It's funny, we have a local 7/11 here in town that has a whole section of english items, kind of odd for a so cal beach town.

And isn't haggis Scottish, snakeoil? Don't get the English and Scots mixed up.....they don't like that......

So with this eleuke you can plug into an amp or headphones for a quiet private practice? Am I understanding this correctly?

deach
06-20-2008, 04:05 AM
So with this eleuke you can plug into an amp or headphones for a quiet private practice? Am I understanding this correctly?

You have strummed the correct.

salukulady
06-20-2008, 04:16 AM
You have strummed the correct.My husband would appreciate that. The other day we were going on a 2 hour drive in HIS car (my car always has a uke in it) and I said wait, I want to grab a uke. He stated, "My car is a uke free zone!" Guess I get a little annoying with my constant practicing......a quiet uke would be nice......

deach
06-20-2008, 04:18 AM
My husband would appreciate that. The other day we were going on a 2 hour drive in HIS car (my car always has a uke in it) and I said wait, I want to grab a uke. He stated, "My car is a uke free zone!" Guess I get a little annoying with my constant practicing......a quiet uke would be nice......

It is quiet but it isn't silent. It's like playing an electric guitar unplugged. As long as the radio is turned on, he shouldn't be annoyed.

salukulady
06-20-2008, 04:24 AM
It is quiet but it isn't silent. It's like playing an electric guitar unplugged. As long as the radio is turned on, he shouldn't be annoyed.and I don't sing......hmmm.....could it be my voice he doesn't like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehrecc_Z2Lo&amp;feature=related

deach
06-20-2008, 04:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehrecc_Z2Lo&amp;feature=related

I love that song by the way. It just about summed up my high school days.

salukulady
06-20-2008, 04:33 AM
I love that song by the way. It just about summed up my high school days.yes, high school can suck......

You know I'm kidding......that ain't me........

deach
06-20-2008, 04:39 AM
yes, high school can suck......

You know I'm kidding......that ain't me........

It's not?!? :confused: *feigns disappointment

SnakeOiler
06-20-2008, 07:40 AM
And isn't haggis Scottish, snakeoil? Don't get the English and Scots mixed up.....they don't like that......

I believe you are correct, but our driver made it one night and I liked it.

tad
06-20-2008, 08:31 AM
I got my Eleuke in the mail yesterday, and it's already a great investment. I played at one in the morning, in my bedroom, with its paper-thin walls, and didn't disturb any of the roommates.

It's a great thing. It sounds pretty nice amped up, too-- It favors the midrange a bit, same as my Ovation used too, but I'm starting to think that's just an issue that active pickups have...

I'm going to get so much more practice with this instrument, being able to play any time of the day, and not needing to feel self-conscious.

salukulady
06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
I got my Eleuke in the mail yesterday, and it's already a great investment. I played at one in the morning, in my bedroom, with its paper-thin walls, and didn't disturb any of the roommates.

It's a great thing. It sounds pretty nice amped up, too-- It favors the midrange a bit, same as my Ovation used too, but I'm starting to think that's just an issue that active pickups have...

I'm going to get so much more practice with this instrument, being able to play any time of the day, and not needing to feel self-conscious.Congratulations on your new uke. If you can afford an eleuke you'd better change your sig line....

switchblade
07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
dude this will be so tight

rayan
07-31-2008, 05:28 PM
we'll be announcing the winner on the front page soon. tune in.

http://ukuleleunderground.com

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-31-2008, 09:08 PM
congrats to you :D