Pics from the Helsinki Uke in June event

Plainsong

Reaction score
As the Finns slowly stumble back in from their uke partying, and slowly awake to a world where the Helsinki soprano is now a reality, the pictures slowly start to trickle in. These were mostly taken with a camera phone, but so far the only event we're missing here is the big unveiling of the Helsinki soprano itself.

In the pics we see Bosco and Honey being awesome, and we have Pete grinning maliciously as he lays the presents out on the table. No touching allowed until Juha (the guy in the white fedora) says so! Torture!

That London Plane soprano uke looks wrong in the pictures. In reality it's very blond but you can see the figuring in the wood, and it's just lovely to play. I fell in love with it a little bit. I hope Pete gets enough of this wood to make a go of it. Although, there is talk of a Helsinki tenor... :eek:

Usually in Finland, when you have a passionate interest, it goes without saying that you will be alone in your interest. But not this time baby, not this time. We have a kickin' uke scene here! :rock:

One missing pic was the extra surprise in my Uklectic gig bag. I didn't know they came with Toblerone's! - which I gave back to Pete, who had forgotten he bought it. :)

When Bosco & Honey have an online store for their cd, I'm buying! It was just a case of it being late at night and no ATM machines around. We use bank card for everything here. :(

Enjoy the pics!

Attachments

• 12062008(002).jpg
    12062008(002).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 12062008(012).jpg
    12062008(012).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 12062008(013).jpg
    12062008(013).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 12062008(023).jpg
    12062008(023).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 12062008(028).jpg
    12062008(028).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 31
And continued... Yes, that is washtub bass, and yeah, it really works.

Attachments

• 12062008(032).jpg
    12062008(032).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 12062008(040).jpg
    12062008(040).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 12062008(058).jpg
    12062008(058).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 12062008(049).jpg
    12062008(049).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Great pictures, Plainsong! Thanks for posting. I was among the first to behold Honey's lotus-themed custom DaSilva. Isn't it amazing?

Great pictures, Plainsong! Thanks for posting. I was among the first to behold Honey's lotus-themed custom DaSilva. Isn't it amazing?

Yeah! Why can't my husband and I have enough discipline to sit down and practice and come up with stuff and have the strength to say we're leaving paying jobs to go travel the world playing music? And then some luthier says "I sponsor you - here is your gorgeous new ukulele!" :rolleyes:

Awesome pics!
Wish I was closer to these things...

And continued... Yes, that is washtub bass, and yeah, it really works.

Love the washtub bass. When I attended the Mid-Atlantic Ukulele Invitational last weekend in Annapolis, Md., one of the guys in the musical group "Paint Branch Ramblers" played a large whiskey jug for the bass. And on several of the songs, another fellow played an old suitcase with 2 small wisk brooms for - I guess - a type of snare drum. Actually sounded good.

Thanks for sharing your pics and story.
icon6.gif

Sometimes you just can't beat that acoustic sound. :) There aren't any pics of me because I've not had good luck posting pics of myself on forums. I try to avoid it now if I can. But that night all eyes were on the wrapped-up Helsinki Sopranos! We left a little before midnight, and they didn't get to even open them until afterwards. I think the reasoning was the raffle. Juha didn't want the beautiful sopranos effecting the auction and raffle of the lesser sopranos. I think his fear is unwarranted. Those raffles and auctions fund the event and the members know that, but thems were the rules.

I'd like to mention once again how inspiring Bosco & Honey were even to non-ukesters like my husband. My husband said that he'd play uke if he could play like Bosco. :D But it really got his musician's brain whirring up again. Last night, out of the blue, he said he wanted to plug the keyboard into Garageband. Once setup, he asked me why I hadn't gotten out my uke. We've never actually anything together before, that's why!

We had a great time playing House of the Rising Sun and stuff like that, but also making up stuff, which I've never done because I've come from a classical background. It was just fun to do, and that inspiration to do it comes completely from Bosco & Honey. :D

I'd like to mention once again how inspiring Bosco & Honey were even to non-ukesters like my husband. My husband said that he'd play uke if he could play like Bosco. :D But it really got his musician's brain whirring up again. Last night, out of the blue, he said he wanted to plug the keyboard into Garageband. Once setup, he asked me why I hadn't gotten out my uke. We've never actually anything together before, that's why!

We had a great time playing House of the Rising Sun and stuff like that, but also making up stuff, which I've never done because I've come from a classical background. It was just fun to do, and that inspiration to do it comes completely from Bosco & Honey. :D

Would you mind if I forwarded this section of your post to Bosko and Honey? I'm sure they'd be delighted at this news!

Would you mind if I forwarded this section of your post to Bosko and Honey? I'm sure they'd be delighted at this news!

Sure! Especially since Anders isn't the kind of guy to outwardly show enthusiasm. His "You totally just inspired me!" face is the same as his "Can you pass the salt?" face. :)

And BTW, rock organ and a plugged-in-uke sound great together.

Top Bottom