What kind of wood is this?

Hualani

Reaction score
Saw a beautiful natural blonde tone, carved, vintage jewelry box that was converted into a lady's purse and was wondering what kind of wood it was. White oak? Pine? Love the carving. No clue until I actually get it and take the box apart to re-engineer for sound if the wood can be salvaged for sound (thinned, resined, whatever-it-takes).
5c95f079befae59b20c2cfb76e011f671281967742_full.jpg
8271b08431dbb9278889a0b6f973479b1281967742_full.jpg

Aloha Hualani,
That's some nice carving there.....it looks like it took some time to do...Maybe a softer wood for easy carving....
Sorry can't help you of what type...Mahalo nui for sharing.....maybe a good canidate for a ukulele??? HMMM
MM Stan..

Basswood is a favoret with carver's perhaps that is what you have Basswood is light in color
like pine

Keef, Stan,

Love the hand carving too. My Chinese grandmother did monkeypod carving back in Hawaii several decades ago. Our furniture was all carved Koa from Edwardian period. The carving reminded me of Ahmu and her furniture.

i was in the costarica rain forest and a monkey pod seed pod got wedged in my shoe so I planted the seeds in florida and they were growin just fine and they all died due to a cold snap
long story short I carved a cane from the dead sapling

87deb28c.jpg
their is a orange and yellow lobster claw haliconia on the other side but I dont have a picture of that right now

Last edited:
A bit more information would help. Is it soft or hard, what's the smell like, what's the grain like, what's the color like on the inside of the box...

Didn't get the purse. Lost the auction. So I did't get to feel, sniff or hear the wood.

Next fall back are the newer bamboo and acacia tea boxes. There are some Brazilian antique tea and jewelry boxes using Tunbridge mosaics that I am lusting after too.

Cigar Box Ukes are a fair place to start, because you learn the basics, including thinning a top, cutting the soundhole, making bracing, carving a neck, and perhaps most importantly, the geometry or math of the strings/nut/bridge. The only thing you don't have to do is bend the sides. Note that all of the uke kits provide already bent sides. That's right, this is just as good as a kit (perhaps I exaggerate, but bear with me...). Also, there's an historic place for the CBU, as there is a long record of broke-ass folks who wanted to have a guitar of some sort. Muddy Waters, BB King, and many more, have all constructed box guitars at one time or another. It's a time honored way to get started.

Here's a follow up for the OP, whatever box you start with, you should make sure it's about 2-3 inches deep (too deep and it doesn't fit under the arm comfortably and can lose volume, too shallow and it won't resonate and also lose volume), and for a concert sized uke it should be at least 9" long. Plan on removing the bottom and replacing it with quarter sawn spruce/red cedar and making that the soundboard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom