Autographing Ukes

Keef

Reaction score
I have just learned that early in 2011 Jake will be performing at the Kravits center in west palm beach Florida and I was thinking that I might be able to get him to autograph my uke
well as we know a Sharpie is not the best possible choice for this because it fades rubs off or runs with the use of some clear coats
so I bought a fine point Gold acid free Paint pen then I signed my own name on the finish of a uke I cut up for parts and it looked great then later that night I sprayed a clear coat over it and it still looks good but it dulls the gold color somewhat
I will post details and pictures once I get home
this seems to be a very durable way to do this

great suggestion but I dont recall ever seeing a clear coat can saying non yellowing can you suggest a brand?

I had Julia Nunes sign my old crappy ukulele with a sharpie last November. I thought it would be fine because i hardly ever play that uke. WRONG. It's almost all gone.

So yeah if you're gonna get JAKE to sign it, best take really good care that its long-lasting. :)

I would also like to get Aldrine to sign it too both these guys are beyond belief they are so good

Last edited:
How much are you going to use the uke that gets signed?

If it's going to be mostly for show, I would suggest a clear pick guard. They are removable and you can cut them to whatever shape you need.

Once I get my custom, this one is going to be specifically for autographs. You can't even tell that the guards are on there unless you look at it in person.

If you're going to use it for gatherings, shows, and stuff of that nature and don't want the pick guards to show then go with the clear finish.

It's not going to be the sceptre is it?
Here's mine:

img2347kl.jpg

img2348e.jpg

"It's not going to be the sceptre is it?"
maybe it certainly would show the performer that you value their autograph
and yes I plan to still play it often this is why
I wanted to use a paint pen and clear coat it

I get your point with valuing/respecting their autograph.

In that case I'd definitely go with the clear coat. Especially if it's the sceptre. The outline of the pick guard might be more visible on the darker wood.

Sorry I can't be of more help with your clear coat question. I've never tried it.

Here is my signature the top one has been clear coated the bottom brighter one is just the paint pen later tonight I am going to give both of them the rub test I am hopeing that the paint alone will be durable enough not to need the clear coat I'll let you know :)
f894bf0a.jpg
aa7e53cb.jpg

Last edited:
It's what's left of a brand new uke I ran threw a table saw to use the neck :)
ok here is the results of the rub test the paint held up pretty good but I was rubbing the signatures so hard that I burned my finger and finaly the paint pen gave up and the clear coated signature was uneffected there you have it science at it's best :)
35f1bc69.jpg

Last edited:
The silver version of the pen might stand out better on the dark wood. It would probably look more like steel than silver when sprayed though. The gold looks like bronze.

Top Bottom