Ukuleles need vacations too!

dianalele

Reaction score
Where have you taken your ukulele this summer??

I'm on vacation this week in Maine, right near Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. We rented a beautiful house on Berry Cove right on the water. It's amazing! The wall facing the water is not actually a wall, but a panel of windows, so you always have the best views!

So when I'm not hiking, biking, or touring Bar Harbor, I'm sitting at the window watching for seals and porpoises and strummin on the ol' uke.

I think my ukulele is enjoying the crisp breezes and ocean views :p

nice thread.

My uke and I have been to Lake Bomoseen in Vermont for five days and three days at Misquamicut Beach in RI. My band is playing a few festivals in the next couple weeks, so my uke has a few more camping trips to go!

No where as nice as where your is now....Hope you're having an awesome summa vacation.....sounds like fun....
Take Care...and "Keep on Ukeing"" MM Stan..

So far mine has gone to Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver, Oahu and Kauai. She is heading to Chicago next month, then back to Hawaii a couple of more times this year. She is a busy uke this year.

Not exactly a vacation, but mine went back to Oahu to play at Grama's funeral. Then it got "fixed" by Joe and his gang at da factory, and managed to pick up a new sibling! Cheeehoo!

Well, I bought my uke on vacation. I just started learning to play in the beginning of July. I was traveling to Louisville, KY for a couple of days in the middle of July. I saw all the great reviews on Mainland Ukes. Since I was already driving twelve hours from PA to KY....I ordered a tenor from Mike and stopped in Nashville, TN to pick it up. I played it during the rest of my vacation and I have been enjoying it since I got back.

Mine like to stay home and take a break from the abuse. It's a win-win.

the uke and i have been all the way to utah....sadly she didnt come with me to san fransisco....but she then journeyed with me to the summer camp that i work at to help entertain the children....

Just returned from Summer Vacation in Honolulu (from 4th of July thru Aug 15th!).

Took my Kala Travel Uke and played it almost everyday - sometimes busking on the sidewalks of Waikiki, but mostly
at the free ukulele lessons (Tues thru Fri) at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Mall (10-11am with Aunty Wainani and Aunty
Puakeala). Great time, I strongly encourage anyone to attend. It may be a "Beginner's" class/workshop, but it's really
great fun and you get to help those who are just starting out. You get to meet people from all over the world, and
you will learn some Hawaiian language and songs.

I visited Tangi, who is still recovering, but who is also still making ukuleles and performing. I've had my eye on a very
special uke ever since I saw one a few years back... and I finally pulled the trigger and got a violin-shaped ukulele, concert
scale on a soprano body. Sorry I don't have pictures (I don't know how to get them on the forum, nor do I have a camera!)
Yes, I realize this severly damages my claim to have actually purchased one of these 'special' ukes... But I really did.

If you go to his website ( tangiukulele.com ), I believe he has a picture toward the bottom of the "Works" section. He also makes
Tenor sizes and possibly even real sopranos. However, they are few and far between. They're pretty pricey in the retail stores
but he will give a good discount if you call before going to his store. PM me for his phone number.

Keep uke'in',

OK, Here's a link to a picture of a violin-shaped ukulele:

http://www.4shared.com/photo/-CrPKIWJ/Tangi_Violin_Standard_08_001.html

Last edited:
Alaska cruisin' is the order for at least one of my ukes. Leaving August 27 via Vancouver for ten days. My wife and I have been planning this one for 20 years.

It just so happens that this trip's scheduling wraps around our regular uke gathering of the Canogahana Players. So I won't miss any of the homegrown good times.

I'm not sure if it's a vacation for my Uke, but I took her with me to Oahu to get checked out at the Kamaka factory. It got held by Uncle Fred so she must be happy right? I now wish I knew about the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Mall. Must make it a point to go next year when I visit.

My Fluke went to Santa Rosa Beach, FL for a week at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park.

all awesome!
ukuleles are spoiled! haha
Sounds like so far, ukes get to see more of the west coast and pacific.

In the beginning of the summer My uke went with me to Florida. He helped me babysit my cousins- ages 4 and 6. They loved it!
Unfortunately, the uke couldn't come with me to the highlight of that vacation- which was a day at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! maybe next time I'll bring him and split a butterbeer with him :)

Let me see…

Aberdeen MD
Emerald Bay Catalina
Hoagies Camp in the San Gabriel Mountains
Little Round Valley San Jacinto
Channel Islands (Santa Cruz Upper Camp)
Huntington State Beach
Huntington City Beach
Reno NV
Joshua Tree National Park
Zion National Park
Bryce National Park

I took all three of mine to Ukulele World Congress 2010 this June. Met lots of UUers, visited Mainland Ukes, had lots of fun. I hope to make it an annual uke vacation....

I always take a Fluke uke to Myrtle Beach... not to the sandy beach itself, but I usually sit on the balcony (lanai) that overlooks the ocean, and play in the morning before breakfast. Sometimes I will play in the evening while having a glass of wine. :)

I've also taken a Fluke uke to the Smoky Mountains and played on the front porch of a lovely rented cabin. :)

I'd like to be at either one of those places right now... :cool:

Took my Dolphin to Commerce, CA for a few days of Roland training. It didn't get to see much of anything other than LAX airport where I had to wait 4 hours for my flight. It's won't be in the summer but my Dolphin will also be traveling to Singapore with me this Christmas when I visit relatives. There are no shops around VT (at least that I've found) that carry any high-end ukuleles so I'm excited to visit Ukulele Movement while I'm out in Singapore...here's hoping I get some Christmas cash to further develop my UAS!

Nice thread! Little Flooky came along backpacking with me to Yosemite this year. While hiking from Bernice Lake to Merced Lake, a sudden hailstorm hit. I found a rock ledge to crouch under and waited for it to pass while strumming to the accompaniment hailstones, wind, and thunder.

Top Bottom