PDA

View Full Version : UUers from good ol' Iowa.

ukebeatsguitar
08-16-2010, 07:10 AM
So I love playing uke, but it'd be so much more fun with other ukers. Living in a small southern Iowa town it seems that nobody plays uke at all, instead they all play guitar. I was just wondering if anyone on here is from Iowa and if you'd like to get together and strum out some tunes sometime.

arashi_nero
08-23-2010, 05:20 AM
sorry i'm a week late on this, but welcome to UU. i haven't been a member here too long myself, but it's a great community and everyone is very helpful.

so, you're a fellow bassoonist? i replied to your post on keef's thread. i guess to not hijack his thread, i'll repost what i put there on your thread here.

yes! i really do play bassoon. one of my bachelor degrees is in music performance on the bassoon. i absolutely love the bassoon. i heard peter and the wolf for the first time when i was 5 and knew then i would play bassoon. since i graduated, i haven't played as much (actually haven't played in about a year). i think i was a little burned out from having to play several hours a day for many many years. the uke has been a great release because it's teaching me new skills. i also don't have to worry about warming up for 15-20 mins before playing and spending 15 mins swabbing every joint when i put it away. however, when put together and playing with great reeds, i can't think of anything that sounds better and any instrument i want to play more. and you're right, the scholarships were awesome too.

anyway, what type of bassoon do you play? i play a fox/renard 220.

ukebeatsguitar
08-23-2010, 06:27 AM
I've only played bassoon for about seven months. I already play bass, guitar, uke, trombone, and piano. I started bassoon because my school hasn't had a bassoonist in about 30 years and I really like being different than everyone else. But, since I'm still in school, I guess I still have a long ways to go. Another reason that I challenge myself to play it is that when I told my parents that I was going to play bassoon, my dad told I wouldn't be able too play it and that I'd quit right away. I've proved him wrong. Sadly, I don't have the money for my own bassoon, so I use the schools. The bassoon I use is a Polisi Standard. Or at least that's whats on the stove pipe. But, it's black, so that's an instant win. (: And I also do not enjoy all the amazingly fun things that come with practicing. It takes up almost my whole evening to practice every instrument I play.

arashi_nero
08-23-2010, 08:48 AM
7 months? that's awesome. i think you're dad had an inkling about a common problem. bassoon is a rewarding instrument. extremely unforgiving, but very rewarding. because it is a hard instrument to play and sound correctly, most people do quit not long after starting. keep it up!! it is very much worth it. i have been playing for close to 20 years and have never looked back!

i've never heard of Polisi, but it sounds like you're playing on a polypropylene (plastic) bassoon. my brother played on a plastic bassoon for several years and did good. i guess by the time my bro got to where he could play, the bassoon i used had been basically destroyed. i took good care of the school instrument i used. it was a schreiber and a decent maple instrument. german bassoons are always sharp, tho. my fox is a great instrument. it's a student/professional model and generally a little more expensive than just a student model. i know of many professional bassoonists that use my model. i believe the price has gone down on them a little recently now and they're a little over $5000. the 2 bassoons i want would be just over $20,000 each. ukuleles definitely are cheaper in comparison lol. if you do want your own, try to find a bassoon hoarder who is trying to get rid of their stock. my brother got a nice fox model ii from one of my teachers for about 1/3 the price. i stole it for a couple years while my brother was away. very easy instrument to play.

well, if you have any bassoon questions, please let me know. i'll be more than happy to help you with whatever you need!

sukie
08-23-2010, 09:08 AM
Quit talking bassoons. It makes me drool. Only reason (well, not the only reason) I play ukulele is because bassoons are so friggin' expensive. I played in high school and LOVED it.

MrsMeyerMusic
08-24-2010, 07:53 AM
First of all, I am a music teacher (guess that's kind of obvious) and I think it's hilarious that you guys are discussing bassoons on a ukulele forum. ;)

Secondly, I just learned that there is a ukulele group that meets in Iowa City. I don't live in Iowa, but my husband has family there so we might check the group out when we visit.

http://sites.google.com/site/iowacityukulele/

ukebeatsguitar
08-24-2010, 01:45 PM
7 months? that's awesome. i think you're dad had an inkling about a common problem. bassoon is a rewarding instrument. extremely unforgiving, but very rewarding. because it is a hard instrument to play and sound correctly, most people do quit not long after starting. keep it up!! it is very much worth it. i have been playing for close to 20 years and have never looked back!

i've never heard of Polisi, but it sounds like you're playing on a polypropylene (plastic) bassoon. my brother played on a plastic bassoon for several years and did good. i guess by the time my bro got to where he could play, the bassoon i used had been basically destroyed. i took good care of the school instrument i used. it was a schreiber and a decent maple instrument. german bassoons are always sharp, tho. my fox is a great instrument. it's a student/professional model and generally a little more expensive than just a student model. i know of many professional bassoonists that use my model. i believe the price has gone down on them a little recently now and they're a little over $5000. the 2 bassoons i want would be just over $20,000 each. ukuleles definitely are cheaper in comparison lol. if you do want your own, try to find a bassoon hoarder who is trying to get rid of their stock. my brother got a nice fox model ii from one of my teachers for about 1/3 the price. i stole it for a couple years while my brother was away. very easy instrument to play.

well, if you have any bassoon questions, please let me know. i'll be more than happy to help you with whatever you need!

Yeah, my dad thought I wouldn't be able to play just because I was switching from Trombone to Bassoon. Yes, it's a large switch, but I've made it work. I think the schools bassoon is wooden, I'll have to check. The school has another, but it's still in for repairs. I would love to own a bassoon, but it's really hard to find one when you're a 13 year old kid with no job living in rural southern Iowa. (:

ukebeatsguitar
08-24-2010, 01:47 PM
First of all, I am a music teacher (guess that's kind of obvious) and I think it's hilarious that you guys are discussing bassoons on a ukulele forum. ;)

Secondly, I just learned that there is a ukulele group that meets in Iowa City. I don't live in Iowa, but my husband has family there so we might check the group out when we visit.

http://sites.google.com/site/iowacityukulele/

Thanks! I'll have to check them out. But it's somewhat a problem since I'm in southern Iowa. I did find a teeny bit on one in Des Moines, but couldn't find much about them.

arashi_nero
08-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Yeah, my dad thought I wouldn't be able to play just because I was switching from Trombone to Bassoon. Yes, it's a large switch, but I've made it work. I think the schools bassoon is wooden, I'll have to check. The school has another, but it's still in for repairs. I would love to own a bassoon, but it's really hard to find one when you're a 13 year old kid with no job living in rural southern Iowa. (:

if you're only 13, no point in getting your own now. especially because of the cost. i would wait till at least you've graduated high school. i bought my bassoon right after graduation. i actually started when i was 13, too. keep it up. playing other instruments is fun, but the two most rewarding i've found are ukulele and bassoon.

First of all, I am a music teacher (guess that's kind of obvious) and I think it's hilarious that you guys are discussing bassoons on a ukulele forum.

yeah, i'm a big ukulele buff, but bassoon is my first true love ;). its fun to discuss here because not too many people would. in fact, you don't get good bassoon discussions anywhere. it's an instrument that's quite a bit more obscure than even the mighty uke! trumpets, clarinets, flutes, trombones: dime a dozen. bassoons: lucky if you have one in your school haha

MrsMeyerMusic
08-25-2010, 02:32 AM
yeah, i'm a big ukulele buff, but bassoon is my first true love ;). its fun to discuss here because not too many people would. in fact, you don't get good bassoon discussions anywhere. it's an instrument that's quite a bit more obscure than even the mighty uke! trumpets, clarinets, flutes, trombones: dime a dozen. bassoons: lucky if you have one in your school haha[/QUOTE]

So true, arashi! The joke between band directors is that if you want a scholarship, play the bassoon!

ukebeatsguitar
08-25-2010, 09:19 AM
[/QUOTE]So true, arashi! The joke between band directors is that if you want a scholarship, play the bassoon![/QUOTE]

That seems to be the only reason my mom wants me to play bassoon. Scholarships. I guess it's not a bad reason, but it makes me feel so sorry for her that she is more excited that my instrument will be rewarding with money and not fun and the joy of making beautiful music.

arashi_nero
08-25-2010, 06:35 PM
That seems to be the only reason my mom wants me to play bassoon. Scholarships. I guess it's not a bad reason, but it makes me feel so sorry for her that she is more excited that my instrument will be rewarding with money and not fun and the joy of making beautiful music.

this is why you just need to have fun playing your bassoon and the scholarship money will come. bassoon is not for everyone, but if you enjoy playing it, you will be rewarded in more ways than with money. plus, parents are always going to worry about how to pay for their kids' college tuition--that's life.

btw, some of the coolest music is for bassoon: grandfather in peter and the wolf, in the hall of the mountain king, sorceror's apprentice, mozarts bassoon concerto, the rite of spring, Stravinsky's Firebird Suite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGA6bpscj8). So much more!! I played the last piece in one of my last concerts in college. Bassoon is so versatile: it plays 4 octaves (more than any instrument other than piano) and can be anything from the bright and happy clown to super dark and lamenting like the firebird suite or could be the male love figure of an operetta. no other instrument can really do that. now i want to pull out my bassoon and play lol.

oh, if you go to the bassoon wikipedia page, my model of bassoon is the main pic at the top of the page. same bell too (french bell: wood with the metal ring. most are german: white ivoroid ring).

So true, arashi! The joke between band directors is that if you want a scholarship, play the bassoon!

must be a universal band/music teacher's joke. my jr high/high school band teacher used to tease me about this all the time. i guess he was just trying to inspire me along with my mother. personally, i just wanted to play the cool music like peter and the wolf lol. but i got scholarship money for performance all 7 years i was in college. when i was finishing up my performance degree, i got to tutor some music ed majors when they were learning the bassoon for their woodwinds class. all said the same thing: the bassoon humbled them and they had more respect for bassoonists. they had no idea how much work and how hard it was to play well.

one time, at band camp (j/k haha). anyway, we had some trumpet players mad they had to buy another mouthpiece (about $50) for a set of songs we were doing. when they complained, the director asked us bassoonists how much we spent on reeds each year. our principle at the time laughed and said he made his own, so it didn't work that way, but to get all the tools to make reeds costs about $400 and then about $5/reed after that. with the amount he played with different groups (even sub'd with the utah symphony), he would go through enough reeds to be about $100/year. i make my own now, so it's not as bad, but back then when i was playing several hours a day, i would go through enough reeds to be upwards of about $100-200/year. we really are an exception to the rules lol.