Cosmic Ukulele Art

Hualani

Reaction score
The adorable ukulele goes hand-in-hand with the surfer crowd. Heck, even I used to bring an ukulele to play at Ala Moana, Waikiki or North Shore back in my teenager days. Typical Hawaii surfer girl.

Flash forward 30 years later, Billabong and Cordoba are sponsoring an art auction using the ukulele as canvas for the Cosmic Creek surf competition auction at Laguna Beach in October. Guitars were also used as canvas boards last year since Cordoba was sponsoring the event last year, but this year Cordoba has several more models of ukuleles including their new line of bamboo ukuleles.

Clickable picture link to last year's Cosmic Creek art auction:

Meanwhile, on Etsy, I came across some cool ukulele art pieces:

This one looks like a Raku-lele.
il_430xN.148259737.jpg

Shiver me timbres! It's a pirate-lele!
il_430xN.65023906.jpg
il_430xN.65024029.jpg

Then there are the nice sounding, hand carved fun ukuleles of Paul Celantano:

il_430xN.159041509.jpg

The apple uke gives the kiwi and watermelon ukes serious competition!

Aloha Hualani,
Thanks for sharing these unique ukuleles, jus wonder how they may sound...I know you've got your mind
on that cool apple uke, have you heard any other play??? former surfer too 20plus, MM Stan...
P.S. that's years surfing...biggest gone out 12ft....and that was scary...anybody tell you otherwise is lying....

OMG!!! that pirate uke is the best I have ever seen!!!!!! wow I want one!!!

if you want to see some gorgeous handpainted ukes go to:

www.blackbearukuleles.net

Duane Heilman really has some amazing stuff on there.

I've actually got a custom handpainted tenor uke arriving tomorrow (hopefully) by local australian artist Julie Sydenham so I'll be sure to post a picture here.

Thanks for the thread Hualani. Also, if anyone's interested in some other weird and wonderful uke designs, hook on to the website of:

www.parentproject.org.au

where you'll find the Duchenne Foundation. Follow the links to the Cairns Ukulele Festival art exhibition. Defineately worth a visit...

Top Bottom