PDA

View Full Version : What Is and What Should Never Be - Led Zeppelin Multitrack

Monkeyswithladders
08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
It's been forever since I uploaded anything, but I just got one done :D wooo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPmauSYtzPk

I also posted the uke tabs here if you're interested:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?34482-What-Is-and-What-Should-Never-Be

Rzr
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
That rocks!!! Awesome!

weave
08-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Great video!

A question - How?

I have a netbook with a 320 x whatever chezocam on the lid and I'd love to produce one like this... What platform do you use? Software? Any info or tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

(BTW - I am aware that there is a board for this, but I wanted to link my question to the video I am inquiring about. More chance that the OP would see it and respond. Forgive me if this breaks protocol, please.)

Mandarb
08-17-2010, 04:50 AM
Very cool - nice job!

Monkeyswithladders
08-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks so much guys :D

As for how I go about making videos:

1) I video tape myself playing a core percussion instrument in the song (djembe for example). To record, I use a video camera with a better microphone plugged into the external mic jack.
2) upload the footage to my computer and make sure it came out good.
3) save it as an mp3 and put it on my ipod.
4) set up the video camera and microphone again and video tape myself playing the rest of the percussion... maracas, rainsticks, little drum... while listening to that track on my ipod.
5) upload all of those videos (which should all be in rhythm with each other since I was listening to the same djembe recording and playing along on each of them) and edit them all together.
6) put that mp3 on my ipod and start recording the next instrument while listening to that recording.

Basically I just merge new tracks onto the ipod, listen to them while recording a new one, then merge that one on and start again with a new instrument. It works best for me to do all the percussion first, then bass, then uke, then any extra stuff like guitars, solos, melodica... I always do vocals last.

the reason I like this method is that it allows me to make multitracks with minimal recording equipment- just a camera, a pre-amp, and 2 microphones will be able to capture any instrument within my satisfaction. Then I can spend my music money on more instruments :p In fact, my first few videos were done with just a camera and without any external mic, and those worked out pretty decently too.

As for what I use to edit; since every track was done on the camera, I use a program that handles both audio and video to line them all up with each other. Once it's all lined up and the audio is synced and levels adjusted, the video editing is super easy. I just go through and delete all the video portions out except what I want to be shown at that given time. The program I use is called Music Maker 14. I'm realizing how hard to explain in text this is, so I'm going to go take a screen shot.

Okay, so here's a screen shot of some of this video:
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9421/multitracking.png
So you can see that each row can hold audio or video and that the thumbnails kind of show the sound waves and the pic of what video is on that track. Once things are lined up to play in sync, I start cutting out video sections and moving them around for layering... so like where the red line is right now in playback, it looks like audio-wise there is djembe, guitar, uke, bass, and vox going on. Video-wise, the only ones that are there at that point are the vox and uke because I cut all the other videos out, so the video moniter only shows those two.

A) sorry for the overly long post; I'm having a hard time communicating clearly for some reason.
B) I hope this makes sense.

P.S. Edit: just thought I'd point this part out because I'm really happy how the experiment went :D The yellow wave in that picture is the guitar track. On the far left where you can see two little increasing waves: that's the sound during the third verse that sounds weird and I did that kaleidoscope look to show it. I banged on the strings once while holding the chord, then played the audio backward in those spots... so instead of the chord starting loud and decaying, it would start slow, build up, and then I cut it out before the actual bang... sounds pretty weird/cool, right?

Rzr
08-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Makes sense, I think. Is Music Maker 14 free? I'll look it up. Thanks for the info. If you're ever heading up to Toronto, let me know.

Monkeyswithladders
08-17-2010, 09:26 AM
There's a free version that I downloaded, but to register it and use it for realz you need to buy it for like $40. I downloaded it first to see if I liked it and then made the decision. And thanks, I'll definitely let you know if I'm heading up; actually one of the places I'm looking at getting a puppy from is right outside Toronto, so maybe soon. And likewise, let me know if you're ever heading down to Buffalo :D

weave
08-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I thank you for your time in putting all that together... You have given me some things to look into, and I thank you!