Kanile'a K-1 concert/tenor

Nelson-Fritata

Reaction score
Man do i want one of those! I know there are several lucky owners of kanile'a ukes out there. What do you think about your ukes? Im probably in way over mye head here, the ukes i have are a redwood uk-160 soprano wich is s***, two makala dolphins wich i love and a Kauai tenor w/pickup wich i think is ok. How much would a kanile'a change my ukulele-life? Think i've got the UAS...

I looooooooooooooove my Kanile'a. I was lucky and got it super cheap on UU a few months ago.

The main thing that's kind of hard to get used to is the width of the neck, its def. wider then most ukes and you need to take extra care to get a clean sound. But the sound is so crisp. I have a K1 satin tenor. It's so smooth and the neck is sooo fast. And I love that the body isn't too boxy and the neck isn't too fat.

All in all it's the perfect feel and sound for me.

Just like CoLmes sez, the neck is a little wider than other ukes. But, it is not harder to play just pay a little more attention to the chords. I love mine, just got it. Tenor K-1 Deluxe 6 string in the UV gloss. It is a real beauty. If you can swing the money, you will not be sorry!!

Well, to swing the money is one of my issues, but i'll deal with that when time comes :D Another thing; i've never played on a concert ukulele before, and there aren't any music-shops with anything more than cheap soprano ukuleles nearby. Would i be taking a risk in buying a concert? I've played my tenor alot, and my sopranos quite a bit. I can play decent on both of them but find my tenor a bit easier to play on.

Heck if you play on a tenor and can play on a soprano, you will have no problems with a concert. The concert is the size between the tenor and soprano. I play a concert and a tenor, the soprano is a tad too small for me.

Yeah, i know it's the size between. Just wanted to be sure of it, so i don't make a mistake if i order a concert. It would be neat to have a concert uke to, and the fact that it's a tad cheaper is also ok! :D

Just saw your first uke was a Kamaka. You lucky b***ard! I played a Kamaka at UWC this year, the main difference I can hear is the Kamaka sounds deeper and the neck is much fatter.

I just got my Kanile'a K-1 concert a few months ago, and I love it even more than I thought I would! The feel of the strings is soft as butter! It is strung with Aquilas and a wound low g -- the sound is so full and mellow. I love playing it and, as a bonus, it is so beautiful to look at too! I highly recommend it! :D

I just got my Kanile'a K-1 concert a few months ago, and I love it even more than I thought I would! The feel of the strings is soft as butter! It is strung with Aquilas and a wound low g -- the sound is so full and mellow. I love playing it and, as a bonus, it is so beautiful to look at too! I highly recommend it! :D

I agree 100%!!

I have a lot of ukes, and the Kanilea is the by far the best one of the group. It was also a lot more expensive than the others... over twice as much. I love my lower end ukes, and didn't buy any in the middle $400- $500 range. After experimenting with all the different sizes, I chose a Super Concert for my Kanilea. It has a real glittery sparkle to it's sound, which is magical. You should choose in person, because each one will be different, and you will need to compare 3 or 4 Kanile'a K-1 to get an idea of the best one for you. I have no problem adjusting to it's wider neck. I never even think about it.
–Lori

Kanile'as are terrific

I'll chime in here too and encourage you getting a Kanile'a. I have a K-1 Concert (owned for about two years now) and just got a K-2 Tenor a couple months ago. I agree with the comments so far about ease of playing, lovely and accurate intonation. I put Worths on both models as I think they give a little more clarity to the higher notes, but Aquilas do come standard and sound wonderful as well. Every time I pick up one of my Kanile'as I take just a moment to admire the workmanship and the quality and the feel of something that was put together with great skill, care and love. I'm sure you'll love whatever model you get.

Love, love my Kanilea custom tenor
Kanileafrtsidefullsm.jpg

Lori: I would LOVE to try out different types in person, but theres not a music store in Norway with Kanile'as in stock i think. And a trip to Hawaii would be a bit over my budget at the moment ;) I actually dreamt this night that i was in Hawaii, so maybe that dream will come true one day. I also emailed Kanile'a to ask about prizes with shipping to Norway and such and i confused them a bit so they think im about to by both a concert and a tenor... But my mind is set! I'm getting a Kanile'a, just have to scrape together sufficient funds first. Thanks for all the feedback guys, you all rock!!!

Top Bottom