San Francisco shops.

eric_sf

Reaction score
hey all. i just wanted to know if there are any stores/shops in San Francisco that sell ukulele-related items. i just started playing recently, and i want to try out some different strings.

i'm originally from san diego, where there are about a half-dozen shops that i know about. i've been in san francisco for almost a year now for school, and i haven't been able to locate a relevant music store..

anything on the SF peninsula would be best. the less bay/bridge crossing, the better, since it's a cheaper train-fare.

any suggestions? thanks in advance.

I haven't done too much searching in SF, but one place I know of is Aloha Warehouse in Japantown.
They sell Pono and (I think) Kala ukes and Ko'olau strings.

Oh and Spam. Many varieties of Spam.

yup yup. aloha warehouse in japantown has a small selection of strings. they sell pono, kala, mele, makala, and some other brands of ukes as well. it's fun to go and try them all out. other than that, you might try out guitar center on van ness of the haight ashbury music center. call first and see what kind of selection they have. if not, get a string sampler from musicguymic on ebay. he's a pleasure to deal with. let your fingers do the walking.

what part of SF are you in? you should get in on the next bay area or SF uke meet. cheers!

guitar center! of course. i should have guessed that there's one up here.

i figure i'll check out at least aloha warehouse and guitar center tomorrow, and hopefully find something. i was actually just looking at musicguymic's eBay store the other day, but i thought i'd try to get some strings locally to avoid the wait on shipping.

and i'm over in the lake merced area, near SFSU. i'm still learning to play and fumbling around with chords and stuff, but it'd still be cool to drop-by one of these meets for sure sometime soon.

thanks for all the help guys.

and i'm over in the lake merced area, near SFSU.

cool dude. i'm not far from you. there are a handful of people here in san francisco so i'll keep you posted on any local events. by the way, if you do go with musicguymic, his shipping is pretty darn fast. i've ordered strings on a monday and got them by wednesday. no joke. but check out the local stores too. always fun to wander around and try out instruments.

last time I checked out guitar center only had one overpriced tenor. (late march)

I spent more time jammin on da banjo in that little acoustic room they got.

Guitar Solo on Townsend Street has a pretty huge selection as well as Gryphon Instruments in Palo Alto. Gryphon's uke sections is in its own little area away from the guitars so you can tear it up without bothering others. Plus, Gyrphon has a very nice inventory of ukes for you to try.

all i know is that japantown has an expencive shop.

i know all guitar center sell like less than 5 ukes, but wayyy over priced.

Go see my friend at Music Works in EL Cerreitos north over then Bridge he has quite a few ukuleles. Kalas flukes fleas meles Lanikais...Ask for Pudgy and say MGM from hawaii sent you LOL

Yeah, I'm near Music Works in El Cerrito and they got a great shop with a wide selection. They will also answer any questions you got. They have lessons too!

Guitar Solo on Townsend Street has a pretty huge selection as well as Gryphon Instruments in Palo Alto. Gryphon's uke sections is in its own little area away from the guitars so you can tear it up without bothering others. Plus, Gyrphon has a very nice inventory of ukes for you to try.

Yeah, I second Guitar Solo. They're pretty nice in there too.

My last trip to Guitar Center for uke strings was a horrible experience. You would think I asked him for harp strings or something. The guy looked at me like I was crazy.

Top Bottom