Linear Tuning Setup

lindydanny

Reaction score
This may be more welcome in the Uke Tech Support side, but I'll ask here...

I'm seriously considering converting from reentrant tuning to linear tuning on my Kala Tenor. My reasons for doing so don't really matter, but if you care: I want to be able to use the bass on the G string and it will fit better with the ensembles I play with most regularly.

Step One: I know I need to buy dedicated strings for this. There is already a thread out there on it. (MGM, expect an order from me soon on this.)

Step Two: I know enough about guitar setup to know that if this is a long term change, I would do well to adjust the nut and the bridge. So here is the essence of my post.

Do I need to completely replace the nut and the bridge to do this right or can I use my existing parts?

The work on setup I'm not worried about. I've done it on an old guitar for the bridge and the nut before. Plus, I have a wonderful resource I got from Stewmac that will help (Guitar Player Repair Guide). I'm also thinking of investing in some quality files for this. Any advice someone with some more experience than I would be helpful and welcome!

~DB

The difference in diameter between a high and low G should be similar enough not to require any adjustment of the nut slot. On my ukes I don't find that any further compensation is needed on the G string (if anything the C string may need it). Depending upon your particular ukulele you may find some adjustment at the saddle necessary. If your saddle is wide enough you may have adequate room for adjustment by filing the ramp. Before doing anything however, make sure you have a good set of strings on, and that they have been thoroughly stretched and that your action is set to it's optimum. Also make sure that your overall compensation is correct and that your fret board is accurate. If properly set up you may not need to do anything to switch from high to low G.

I got my strings in the mail last night from MGM (by the way, you rock). I ordered the Tenor Ukulele String Sampler from MGM's ebay store and it came incredibly fast (as all of his stuff does).

Since I have Aquilas on my tenor already I went with the wound Aquila low G string to start which made me only replace the one string. I have to say it is an incredibly different sound that I was expecting. That said, I'm not really sure what I was expecting other than an octave lower.

There is/was the normal stretching period. That will pass with time. The compensation need is much more than I expected. Because of my current bridge, I don't know if I will be able to compensate without getting a new one... Plus, it has an active pickup under there which would cause me problems (which can be over come) if I wanted to change it around a bit. I'm not that confident at the moment to go making those kinds of changes so I'm going to deal for a bit and see if I can find a happy medium with tuning. I got close last night. Thank God for on-board tuners.

Quick extra points question: I saved my high G (rolled up in a little package in the case). Any chance I can switch those two out when needed (takes me about five minutes)?

~DB

Top Bottom