OMG! 12 Step Plan Needed!

franulele

Reaction score
OMG! OMG! OMG!

I'm trying to get a grip here..... okay, so through some crazy bit of bookkeeping, I just found out I don't need to make a house payment until December! (Yes the bank confirmed.)

And what pops into my travel-sopranino sized head??!?!
Buying a coffee table (been here 6 yrs & still don't have one)??
Getting the dogs teeth cleaned (their breath could knock you over) ??
Finishing the upstairs (or any number of projects around the house)?
Saving $$$ to buy a replacement for my 12 yr old car with a QUARTER MILLION MILES on it?!?!

No, no, no, no.... none of these worthy projects even crosses my mind. Instead, I think of buying a KoAloha concert uke, a Kala UBass, and a roadtrip to NYC to see the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain on Nov. 2nd.

I am sick, sick, SICK!! Very sick, indeed. I need help! Please... somebody ...

righto franulele here's my doctorly advice re your 12 step plan:

step 1: buy the KoAloha
step 2: buy the Kala
step 3: buy the ticket to see the Uke Orchestra of Great Britain

this should cure all your ills without having to go through steps 4-12.

I believe you are indeed not sick, but a pure picture of perfect health. However, if these symptoms persist...

step 4: take 2 asprin and call me in the morning

Dr Eugene

Go for it!

I think that anyone who receives 6 months free of payments and uses that extra money to improve their materialistic selves is very very sick, and needs serious help. Unfortunately that is the case for most of the people in this world.

You however are far from sick, and your sudden, spontaneous plan to do something out of the ordinary and to enjoy your life in a way that crosses few other minds is both inspirational and reverent.

I love it. great ideas and everything else.
1. who doesn't want a KoAloha concert?
2. who doesn't want a Uke bass PERIOD?
and 3. who doesn't want to see the UKULELE ORCHESTRA OF GREAT BRITAIN?
enough said

Step 1 : Buy it all
Step 2 : Sell the dog and the car
Step 3 : Rent the Upstairs to a Junkie for 320$/month
Step 4 : Sell the rest of the your furniture -> Furniture aint worthy without a coffeetable in ur house >,<
Step 5 : repeat Step 1 but For SplitCreek :D

Haha Here's your guide !!
Nah man Seriously do what ur hart tells u too ... Buy the kala, koAloha and the ticket that whats my hart tells tough :D

One option would be to ahead and make the payments anyway.

They'd be pure principal, wouldn't they? And it's an expense you were planning on anyway, so it won't feel like you're depriving yourself of anything.

Depending on where you are in your mortgage, that could save you tons of money in interest (or have that much more equity if/when you sell it). A lot more than the payments add up to today. You'd have to wait to realize the savings, but you could buy a way more expensive uke/trip/uke-bass then.

Just a thought.

JJ

They'd be pure principal, wouldn't they? And it's an expense you were planning on anyway, so it won't feel like you're depriving yourself of anything.

Depending on where you are in your mortgage, that could save you tons of money in interest (or have that much more equity if/when you sell it). A lot more than the payments add up to today. You'd have to wait to realize the savings, but you could buy a way more expensive uke/trip/uke-bass then.

Just a thought.

JJ

Further motivation: we haven't seen the bottom yet in this economy. With talk of deflation, people need available cash.

1) Put a third of the money away in a savings account for an Emergency Fund.
2) Pay a third of the money towards your mortgage anyway.
3) Road trip to see the UOGB.

Why? Because I'm a huge fan of Emergency Funds, paying off debt early, and adventures.

Just a thought.

JJ

Exactly what I was going to recommend. Maybe not the most popular answer, but certainly the most fiscally responsible....

Just a thought.

JJ
Wow, I was going to suggest the same thing. Depending on where you are in the life of your mortgage, especially in the early years, only a tiny fraction of it is actually going toward the principal.

If your payments now-Dec. would be pure principal, you could conceivably be knocking a year or more off the life of your mortgage with each payment. Plus, a few grand between now and Dec. will lower your principal and thus raise your future principal-to-interest ratio.

I don't get why when people come into some "found" money they feel they've just gotta spend it.

Or another alternative, if you've got credit card debt would be to use this to pay them down or off. Many cc's charge 20+% interest (surely a lot more than your mortgage) so this strategy could help you a lot in the shorter term. If you've got a few thou in cc debt and only ever make the minimum payment, you're paying a heck of a lot in interest.

Wow- this board is full of very sensible people.
I am not one of them.I say get yourself a little present

Always spend money on luxuries because the necessities take care of themselves.

:cool:Keep paying off the house and applying it to principal. Pay down that debt and you can buy all the ukes you can store.

Congratulations! My humble opinion: the U-bass can wait, the price will go down.
Ukulele Orchestra road trip would be cool, but... no.

Get whichever uke suits your desires! Yes, Yes, Yes.

Definitely pay off some of your house debt. Be a "grownup" but still get yourself a little sumpin'.

Cheers!

Jeepers, I'm tempted to say buy the KoAloha as you will not regret it. I'd want to go to NYC to see UOGB too but those smart people say otherwise and they really are right. It sucks being a grown-up. I guess I'm gonna tell you to splurge on something and be wise with the rest.

Congratulations! My humble opinion: the U-bass can wait, the price will go down.
Ukulele Orchestra road trip would be cool, but... no.

Get whichever uke suits your desires! Yes, Yes, Yes.

Definitely pay off some of your house debt. Be a "grownup" but still get yourself a little sumpin'.

Cheers!

This sounds about right to me.

Aloha Fran,
Do what makes you...Responsible and Happy....Hopefully in that order!!!!
Jus my opinion.....MM Stan....

hmm Fran,

I think the Medical Board has just revoked my doctor's registration.

your (ex-doctor) eugene

Yup, I agree with the sensible set- buy the KoAloha, see if you can get a nice clean used one first from someone moving up to a custom. Save you a couple hundred.

Put something in an emergency fund or pay off credit cards (if you do they will give you a 1.99% offer for 6 months, then buy the Kala).

Rest goes on the mortgage.

Covers all the bases.

I had some heavy extra hours on my job, so I just paid off my credit cards, put money in savings, and bought a custom pineapple. :)
(I "needed" it to de-stress from my job so I can keep DOing my job).

What a nice sensible bunch you all are!

I was going to buy Eugene a KoAloha and Nickman a UBass, but after a friendly intervention & sleeping on it I‘ve decided to do the grown up thing. Yes, Sukie, being a grownup can suck! But, if I’m sensible now, it could mean more fun & ukuleles later.

So my decision is to thin my herd of musical instruments, and get the KoAloha after doing so. I’m a music teacher & I use the uke nearly everyday, so I feel it’s a reasonable luxury. I’ll wait for a used Kala UBAss, and play a school bass until then, even if it isn’t a darling uke-bass, And as for the UOGB performance at Carnegie Hall, I may settle for a couple of their DVDs and have a showing for my uke friends here at home. WIN-WIN!

I know money doesn’t buy happiness, but not having it is really stressful. You would not believe how much more optimistic I feel this morning with this bit of news! With buying a house on a single income, I had nearly forgotten what its like to have a little $$ for a few of the extras in life. My heart goes out to people who’ve lost jobs & housing, and have had to do more than just tighten their financial purse strings.

Top Bottom