PDA

View Full Version : "...Love the One You're With"

KevinV
08-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Remember those words from Stephen Stills? I see a lot of 'uke lust on here, and many new acquisitions, but can't help to think there are others than me that are quite content with their instruments, no matter how humble they may be.

I own a total of 3 'ukuleles...a Makala MK-S that hangs on the wall in the den as functional art, a Kala Acacia Tenor with Mi-Si that I use for rehearsal and gigs, and a factory "used" Fender Pa'ina that is glued to my hands whenever I'm around the house. Certainly there are many other 'ukes out there that I'd like to play or make mine, but I find myself quite content with the 2 in the rotation and the other just looking on from across the room.

Anyone else not find themselves caught in the grips of UAS, tending to be more content with what they have and not always looking for the next best thing?

haole
08-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Anyone else not find themselves caught in the grips of UAS, tending to be more content with what they have and not always looking for the next best thing?

No .

iDavid
08-18-2010, 03:40 PM
I have a Mainland Tenor, two Ohana zebra's and a KoAloha. I play the KoAloha constantly. I find myself very content with KoAloha and then I compare to my other ukes and want to "upgrade" the others. If I only had the KoAloha I think I would want a tenor. I am more hit with the, " I should really sell the ukes I don't use syndrome"

So, I find myself with UAS and ant-UAS

is there a med for that?

telebob
08-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Hmmm.... lessee, other than hankering for a Koaloha Pineapple Sunday and a color-splashed EleUke, I have no UAS. :p:D

Gmoney
08-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Remember those words from Stephen Stills? ...and a factory "used" Fender Pa'ina that is glued to my hands whenever I'm around the house.

Know what you mean.... But... tell me more about your Pa'ina as it is one uke that I will own for quite personal reasons. Being, that my wife bought me a Fender Newporter acoustic in 1985 - it looks like a large 6-string version of the Pa'ina. so, I have a spot reserved for a Pa'ina next to its older & bigger brother.

Will be quite content with the ones I have as soon as the Koaloha gets here!

Dougf
08-18-2010, 03:55 PM
I absolutely LOVE my uke, but I have been tempted. For one thing, I've found that some songs do work better with high G, so as has been suggested in other threads, I thought maybe I should get another one with that tuning. I did recently buy a Fluke, and while it is a very nice instrument, it's just not my custom tenor, and anyway, I did promise it to my son. But when I was in the shop (Pacific Winds Music in Eugene, Or) buying the Fluke, I tried a custom Mya-Moe. Instant UAS.

Jerlial Prophet
08-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I think there are some men in dark shades and stylish hats waiting outside your door to collect your membership card. Shame on you, being content and all. Just kidding, I think it is great you are satisfied with your collection. I think one or two more ukes would hold me over too (at least until I get them and need one or two more, etc.)!

Teek
08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I keep thinking that the next one will cure me, and the closest I have come to that is my first custom made by Bradford Donaldson. Prettiest and sweetest uke I have ever seen or held or tickled the strings on. It is a lovely lovely lovely lovely little uke. What a honey! It gives me a lot of peace and contentment, it just suits me so well.

Brad Bordessa
08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I love the one I'm with.

janeray1940
08-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I love the one I'm with, finally: my Kamaka HF-1. To the point where I feel guilty of neglecting the others in my little collection!

Although truth be told, on occasion, I still entertain fantasies of a Kamaka pineapple...

redheadedali
08-18-2010, 06:26 PM
I'd say I'm kind of in the middle. I can think of at least three ukes I'd love to have for various reasons (for example, an Eleuke - I want to be able to shred!), but I'm not in any big hurry to get them. I figure I'm in this for the long haul, and so whenever the stars (and my finances) decide to align correctly, that's when I'll add another uke to my collection. In the meantime, I am happy with what I have (particularly my Fluke).

Skitzic
08-19-2010, 02:50 AM
I believe I am content with my purchases. I know I won't be picking a 'new' uke up anytime soon, but I have this thing where if I see a vintage instrument I want to make sure it keeps getting played. If I see a beat up uke or guitar destined for a trash heap, I want to save it. The good thing about saving stuff from the wood pile is you spend next to nothing (and a lot of the time, just plain nothing) to get it.

I've yet to save a uke from a bon fire, but I have saved a few guitars that I have given away to people who appreciate them.

I don't know what one would call that. Save Them All Syndrome?

jerickson
08-19-2010, 02:54 AM
No .

HAHAHA!!! Me either! Maybe because its so much fun to dig into a new instrument.

austin1
08-19-2010, 04:09 AM
I love the one I'm with.

amen!

--Tina

jehicks87
08-20-2010, 12:41 AM
I had my Kala for two years before going "bigger and better." I bought a Honu Koa Tenor, which was not my cup of tea, and turned it around in two weeks. I also purchased an MP concert and put a custom order in for an MP tenor.

I love my Kala, love my concert, but my Tenor is hands-down the best uke I've ever played. I am very content right now, thought on the next deployment I'll probably be getting another custom made, most likely by Mike again.

Love the one you're with, but don't hesitate to try new things if you've got the means. ;)

Ahnko Honu
08-20-2010, 12:55 AM
My appetite for 'ukuleles is satisfied and complete with maybe the exception of a sopranino pineapple but that won't happen soon since I am financially destitute. I have every size pineapple up to tenor and have no desire for a baritone. I may have to sell off more of my 'ukuleles just to pay bills so presently I'm trying to decide which 5 of my 16 ukuleles I can't live without then start thinning the herd. Not an easy decision.

Pinebaron
08-20-2010, 01:49 AM
I am almost there. I have a Loprinzi MC Tenor (low G) that should be here almost anytime and that should be my main squeeze. I have a Kala Concert solid mahogany that I play quite a bit which I will probably sell once the Loprinzi gets here. I have an old Harmony that will end up on a wall and a Tanglewood soprano that is my travel uke. I may add a nicer soprano but other than that I have no other desires. That will leave me with a tenor, 2 sopranos and a wall decoration.

Dougf
08-20-2010, 03:59 AM
Is it considered UAS if you just have the desire to acquire? I ask because in my previous post to this thread I said that after playing the Mya-Moe I was struck with UAS, but it didn't actually come home with me, however sorely I wanted it to.

Jerlial Prophet
08-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Is it considered UAS if you just have the desire to acquire? I ask because in my previous post to this thread I said that after playing the Mya-Moe I was struck with UAS, but it didn't actually come home with me, however sorely I wanted it to.

I've always considered UAS and GAS to be more associated with desire than actual physical aquisition. Kind of like a drug addict still being considered an addict even if they don't use any more just because of the desire or ease of falling back into the habit.

misterpk
08-20-2010, 06:40 AM
I just had this conversation with my wife. I was trying to convince her to let me buy the KoAloha Pineapple Sunday that MGM has on Ebay right now. She asked me why I'm never satisfied with what I have. I told her it's not that I'm not happy with what I have, but as a collector I want what is different! It's like baseball cards. I wasn't happy with just the Topps Roger Clemens rookie, but I needed the Fleer one and what ever other ones I could get my hands on.

That being said, I'm very much in love with my KoAloha Tenor, my wife's KoAloha Soprano and my Fluke. :)

dkcrown
08-20-2010, 01:12 PM
I am definately content with my ukukeles. All fifteen of them.

luvdat
08-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Remember those words from Stephen Stills? I see a lot of 'uke lust on here, and many new acquisitions, but can't help to think there are others than me that are quite content with their instruments, no matter how humble they may be.

I own a total of 3 'ukuleles...a Makala MK-S that hangs on the wall in the den as functional art, a Kala Acacia Tenor with Mi-Si that I use for rehearsal and gigs, and a factory "used" Fender Pa'ina that is glued to my hands whenever I'm around the house. Certainly there are many other 'ukes out there that I'd like to play or make mine, but I find myself quite content with the 2 in the rotation and the other just looking on from across the room.

Me. Focusing on songs, music. I was a purchase/trade maniac for a bit mostly settling on uke size (where I started)...but I love the 2 sopranos I have. Thanks for starting this upbeat mentally healthy thread.

KevinV
08-20-2010, 04:23 PM
...tell me more about your Pa'ina as it is one uke that I will own for quite personal reasons.

Aside from adding a strap button to the heel it's completely stock. I dressed/polished the frets, adjusted the nut/saddle, changed strings, and that was it. I got it second hand, and it was a factory "Used" model so it's complete with dings and blemishes. The good part is that it plays and sounds great...both plugged and unplugged.

I'm surprised these don't get more attention than they do. I think it's a very nice, all solid wood instrument. I have no intentions of parting with it.

Waterguy
08-20-2010, 06:30 PM
I own 3 ukes, I play 1.

One of the 3 was my first "real" uke, a Kala KA-ST. It replaced the cheap uke that got me hooked. I still have it but I don't think it's been out of it's case for over a year.

Another is a concert scale Flea that I bought used because I thought it would be a good idea to have a "bang around" uke. I bought that one after I bought my baby.

The one I play is a Kanile'a K-1 tenor. It's the uke that cured uas for me. I cannot get enough of this uke, this one is my baby. Honestly, why would anyone need anything else?

Zaza The Rebel
08-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Strangely enough I only find myself wanting a soprano, but not badly - just to complement the concert uke. If I did get a soprano it would be either a Makala or a pineapple (or both...?), just because they interest me. I could care less right now about Kamaka, Kanile'a, KoAloha, or other high-end brands...I just want something that looks cool and is cheap!

Uncle-Taco
08-21-2010, 04:05 AM
I can't decide whether I'm still UAS afflicted or not, or if I ever was.

I am down to just the Mainland Concert Mahogany and the KoAloha Longneck Soprano, and I'm fine. I think I could stick with either one of them, really.

That said, if a really nice tenor crossed my path too close I might go for it, and I will always want a style 3M or a very good copy thereof, but I'm not actively saving up or shopping or anything. ...not today...:uhoh:

luvdat
08-21-2010, 10:48 PM
At a certain point (for some) you ask, "How much more do I really want or really need?"

SailQwest
08-22-2010, 04:31 AM
I'm pretty content with what I have, and thought that I was over UAS. That was until Kissing put his Risa concert stick (with GEARED tuners) up for sale. It will replace my Risa soprano stick, which is my "beater" uke.

My husband and I went through a serious bout of UAS early on. Having acquired over 20 ukes, and trying dozens more, we are finally down to seven. Two for him and five for me. That seems fair, right?

Of my five, I really only play two: a Bushman Engelmann Concert, which is my "main" uke, and my Risa "beater." If I could only have one, it would definitely be my Engelmann.

My husband's two are a Bushman Jenny Tenor, his "main" uke, and a Tenor Eleuke which is his "beater."