"...Love the One You're With"

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Remember those words from Stephen Stills? I see a lot of 'uke lust on here, and many new acquisitions, but can't help to think there are others than me that are quite content with their instruments, no matter how humble they may be.

I own a total of 3 'ukuleles...a Makala MK-S that hangs on the wall in the den as functional art, a Kala Acacia Tenor with Mi-Si that I use for rehearsal and gigs, and a factory "used" Fender Pa'ina that is glued to my hands whenever I'm around the house. Certainly there are many other 'ukes out there that I'd like to play or make mine, but I find myself quite content with the 2 in the rotation and the other just looking on from across the room.

Anyone else not find themselves caught in the grips of UAS, tending to be more content with what they have and not always looking for the next best thing?

I have a Mainland Tenor, two Ohana zebra's and a KoAloha. I play the KoAloha constantly. I find myself very content with KoAloha and then I compare to my other ukes and want to "upgrade" the others. If I only had the KoAloha I think I would want a tenor. I am more hit with the, " I should really sell the ukes I don't use syndrome"

So, I find myself with UAS and ant-UAS

is there a med for that?

Hmmm.... lessee, other than hankering for a Koaloha Pineapple Sunday and a color-splashed EleUke, I have no UAS. :p:D

Remember those words from Stephen Stills? ...and a factory "used" Fender Pa'ina that is glued to my hands whenever I'm around the house.

Know what you mean.... But... tell me more about your Pa'ina as it is one uke that I will own for quite personal reasons. Being, that my wife bought me a Fender Newporter acoustic in 1985 - it looks like a large 6-string version of the Pa'ina. so, I have a spot reserved for a Pa'ina next to its older & bigger brother.

Will be quite content with the ones I have as soon as the Koaloha gets here!

I absolutely LOVE my uke, but I have been tempted. For one thing, I've found that some songs do work better with high G, so as has been suggested in other threads, I thought maybe I should get another one with that tuning. I did recently buy a Fluke, and while it is a very nice instrument, it's just not my custom tenor, and anyway, I did promise it to my son. But when I was in the shop (Pacific Winds Music in Eugene, Or) buying the Fluke, I tried a custom Mya-Moe. Instant UAS.

I think there are some men in dark shades and stylish hats waiting outside your door to collect your membership card. Shame on you, being content and all. Just kidding, I think it is great you are satisfied with your collection. I think one or two more ukes would hold me over too (at least until I get them and need one or two more, etc.)!

I keep thinking that the next one will cure me, and the closest I have come to that is my first custom made by Bradford Donaldson. Prettiest and sweetest uke I have ever seen or held or tickled the strings on. It is a lovely lovely lovely lovely little uke. What a honey! It gives me a lot of peace and contentment, it just suits me so well.

I love the one I'm with.

I love the one I'm with, finally: my Kamaka HF-1. To the point where I feel guilty of neglecting the others in my little collection!

Although truth be told, on occasion, I still entertain fantasies of a Kamaka pineapple...

I'd say I'm kind of in the middle. I can think of at least three ukes I'd love to have for various reasons (for example, an Eleuke - I want to be able to shred!), but I'm not in any big hurry to get them. I figure I'm in this for the long haul, and so whenever the stars (and my finances) decide to align correctly, that's when I'll add another uke to my collection. In the meantime, I am happy with what I have (particularly my Fluke).

I believe I am content with my purchases. I know I won't be picking a 'new' uke up anytime soon, but I have this thing where if I see a vintage instrument I want to make sure it keeps getting played. If I see a beat up uke or guitar destined for a trash heap, I want to save it. The good thing about saving stuff from the wood pile is you spend next to nothing (and a lot of the time, just plain nothing) to get it.

I've yet to save a uke from a bon fire, but I have saved a few guitars that I have given away to people who appreciate them.

I don't know what one would call that. Save Them All Syndrome?

I had my Kala for two years before going "bigger and better." I bought a Honu Koa Tenor, which was not my cup of tea, and turned it around in two weeks. I also purchased an MP concert and put a custom order in for an MP tenor.

I love my Kala, love my concert, but my Tenor is hands-down the best uke I've ever played. I am very content right now, thought on the next deployment I'll probably be getting another custom made, most likely by Mike again.

Love the one you're with, but don't hesitate to try new things if you've got the means. ;)

My appetite for 'ukuleles is satisfied and complete with maybe the exception of a sopranino pineapple but that won't happen soon since I am financially destitute. I have every size pineapple up to tenor and have no desire for a baritone. I may have to sell off more of my 'ukuleles just to pay bills so presently I'm trying to decide which 5 of my 16 ukuleles I can't live without then start thinning the herd. Not an easy decision.

I am almost there. I have a Loprinzi MC Tenor (low G) that should be here almost anytime and that should be my main squeeze. I have a Kala Concert solid mahogany that I play quite a bit which I will probably sell once the Loprinzi gets here. I have an old Harmony that will end up on a wall and a Tanglewood soprano that is my travel uke. I may add a nicer soprano but other than that I have no other desires. That will leave me with a tenor, 2 sopranos and a wall decoration.

Is it considered UAS if you just have the desire to acquire? I ask because in my previous post to this thread I said that after playing the Mya-Moe I was struck with UAS, but it didn't actually come home with me, however sorely I wanted it to.

Is it considered UAS if you just have the desire to acquire? I ask because in my previous post to this thread I said that after playing the Mya-Moe I was struck with UAS, but it didn't actually come home with me, however sorely I wanted it to.

I've always considered UAS and GAS to be more associated with desire than actual physical aquisition. Kind of like a drug addict still being considered an addict even if they don't use any more just because of the desire or ease of falling back into the habit.

I just had this conversation with my wife. I was trying to convince her to let me buy the KoAloha Pineapple Sunday that MGM has on Ebay right now. She asked me why I'm never satisfied with what I have. I told her it's not that I'm not happy with what I have, but as a collector I want what is different! It's like baseball cards. I wasn't happy with just the Topps Roger Clemens rookie, but I needed the Fleer one and what ever other ones I could get my hands on.

That being said, I'm very much in love with my KoAloha Tenor, my wife's KoAloha Soprano and my Fluke. :)

Top Bottom