Mainland solid mahogany "Mellow out" question

monty

Reaction score
hey guys,
currently strumming my new mainland, fantastic uke. My question is how long does it generally take solid wood ukes to "open up" and mellow out? and does a high gloss finish decrease this to any extent?
Cheers,
Monty

What kind of strings are you using? What size uke?

I'm no expert, but I was reading something interesting about this topic in Acoustic Guitar Magazine the other day. They said perhaps an instrument appears to sound better after time because the player knows exactly how to get specific tones out the instrument. For instance, where you strum in relation to the sound hole, how hard to strum, how soft to strum. So in essence, the instrument isn't really "opening up" as much as the player is just getting better at playing that specific instrument. The article said a test was conducted where two identical Martin Guitars from the 80's where set aside for this exact testing. One was played regularly and one was put in a case and never played. Then recently, they had several hundred people play both guitars (blind folded I believe) and the results were that neither guitar was obviously better sounding then the other. Some said the "never played Martin" was warmer sounding and some said the "regularly played Martin" was warmer. When I first got my Kanilea I strummed the thing way too hard because I was used to a Cordoba uke I had that required hard strumming to get volume. You don't need to pound on a Kanilea to get volume and in fact the thing will bark if you play it too hard. Thus I think it has warmed up but in actuality I think I just play it softer which produces a nicer tone. Of course some will argue against everything I just said. My two cents.

I agree totally with the last post. With guitars, I think the jury is very much out. I believe the sound can change, but not on every guitar - depends on the exact make up of the wood used in question on that particular instrument.

I'm no expert, but I was reading something interesting about this topic in Acoustic Guitar Magazine the other day. They said perhaps an instrument appears to sound better after time because the player knows exactly how to get specific tones out the instrument. For instance, where you strum in relation to the sound hole, how hard to strum, how soft to strum. So in essence, the instrument isn't really "opening up" as much as the player is just getting better at playing that specific instrument. The article said a test was conducted where two identical Martin Guitars from the 80's where set aside for this exact testing. One was played regularly and one was put in a case and never played. Then recently, they had several hundred people play both guitars (blind folded I believe) and the results were that neither guitar was obviously better sounding then the other. Some said the "never played Martin" was warmer sounding and some said the "regularly played Martin" was warmer. When I first got my Kanilea I strummed the thing way too hard because I was used to a Cordoba uke I had that required hard strumming to get volume. You don't need to pound on a Kanilea to get volume and in fact the thing will bark if you play it too hard. Thus I think it has warmed up but in actuality I think I just play it softer which produces a nicer tone. Of course some will argue against everything I just said. My two cents.

I don't think this necessarily proves that guitars don't open up. I have read Bob Taylor say that guitars can open up with age even if they are not played. He said he had a guitar that sat in a display case for 20 years (or so, I can't remember how long) and it definitely sounded better when it came out than when it went in. Therefore, in the case of the 2 Martins, perhaps both opened up and that process was unrelated to the amount it was played. Perhaps they open up quicker with lots of play but the unplayed one would catch up eventually all on its own. I don't really know, just a possibility. However, it does seem to show a guitar can sound better with age without the influence of the player being more familiar with the instrument.

Well at least this topic has brought playing style into the equation and knowing a particular instrument vs. the more abundant discussions which could all be summarized as buying tips...and futher still...preferences.

hey guys,
currently strumming my new mainland, fantastic uke. My question is how long does it generally take solid wood ukes to "open up" and mellow out? and does a high gloss finish decrease this to any extent?
Cheers,
Monty

With respect to the question on the gloss impeding this transition, Satin finish is a relative late comer to stringed instruments. Gloss finish was the defacto standard for decades and decades. The only caveat would excessive coats to achieve the gloss finish might slow or stop the instrument from achieving it's potential.

A lot of respected luthiers believe acoustic stringed instruments open up over time and display a broader frequency response. I believe them myself. And I always prefer gloss finish. Satin always obscures the grain. I have two Taylors with Satin and it is the only thing I don't like about them.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I guess i'll just play it and play it, and in a years time i'll let you know :p

I never equated "opening up" with mellowing out. I thought opening up had to do with a more ringing tone, more resonant. I would like to learn if I didn't catch on correctly.

I never equated "opening up" with mellowing out. I thought opening up had to do with a more ringing tone, more resonant. I would like to learn if I didn't catch on correctly.

I think it can apply to both actually but I know what you mean. For example, the opening up folks talk about with something like a Martin (guitar) spruce top ain't just volume but maybe better put, rounder tone, fuller...even more balanced. A kind of sweetening???

Awhile back I posted something about "mellow" which gets tossed around differently by different people and have even stated that some ukers use the term euphmeistically esp. about a new uke which someone else might even regard as a bit of a dud. This is not the OP's sense I think but maybe with respect to the mellowing out...partly related to overall tonal balance. Frankly my guess is: with the Aquilas while overall quite nice to start there can be element of unbalance here and there noted volume differences here and there requiring playing style compensation (?), less smoothness...

This maybe completely subjective - but I find a new guitar takes longer to get going when you pick it up - than an old one; when you lift them out of their case.

So perhaps it is more about the instruments ability to come to the boil/come on song when picked up which changes.

I do find that a damn good vigarous warmup gets an acoustic sounding sweet sooner, than if you play it soft and gentle. But I'd never just thrash them either, this is all relative!

6sc

I have a mainland mahogany gloss tenor. I do not believe that the uke has opened up over time. I think if your looking at mellowing out your uke try worth browns?

Well said, another thing to add is you learn to fine tune your instrument for it's peak sound preformance.....MM Stan...

I agree. I think the frequency response of the instrument broadens, more highs and more lows which contributes to increased sustain and ringing.

Don't woods dry out over time? Maybe he guitars and ukes sound different because they are in need of some humidity!

I think this is mostly hype. If you played a 1941 Martin D18, how would you know if it had mellowed out or that was the way it actually sounded in 1941? If in fact you had owned this thing, has it stopped mellowing out or is it still, and when will it stop? Don't get wrapped around the axle here. Find a nice sounding uke, buy it and play the daylights out of it and don't worry about if it has or will mellow out. If it does and you play it enough, I don't think you'll ever know when it does.

One wonders if it is the mellowing(drying and age) of the wood or the conditioning of the wood through vibrations that affect
tha accoustics more or a combination of both. I've read some time back that a UU member suggested to leave the instrument
in front of a speaker to quicken the process....but i've notice some of my ukuleles change tone in time even without even playing it..
Just wonder if it is my over imaganation.. he he..sometimes I think not..it really sounds sweeter..any thoughts??
Or could experience gained through that time make a difference.....HMM

Last edited:
for me, the key here, as in life generally, is to just enjoy it while you've got it.

I find that the ukes "open up" as I open up, and "mellow out" when I'm mellowed out. I firmly believe the way a uke sounds is irrevocably tied to the performance of the person playing it. For example, if someone is playing publicly with a sense of joy, or intensity, or passion etc, then I am drawn into that performance and everything "opens up".

To me the quality of sound depends on four things: the kind of wood, quality of craftsmanship, the type of strings used and the skill of the player.

All this other stuff is way over my head I'm afraid.

(Mind you, I've only been playing ukes for 4 years and so my oldest uke is only that old too...hard to open up I guess when you haven't even reached puberty!!!)

Top Bottom