Soprano vs Concert

GeoffTPS!

Reaction score
Hey guys just trying to justify purchasing my second uke and I was thinking about getting a concert. Is the difference between a soprano and a concert equal to the difference between say a Dreadnought and Jumbo Acoustic Guitar? Or is it even more significant?

I find it rather insignificant, depending on model. The scale length is about 2 inches longer, so divided up among all the frets, there's a bit more distance between the frets. Most Soprano frets stop at the body, usually at the 12th fret. Concerts typically have the fretboard extend over the body of the instrument, more like a guitar and usually have 15 frets or so. Body size is a little bit bigger, so a side by side comparison might show a deeper sound, but there are so many other variables that it really varies between instruments.

I think you can approach this from 2 directions: based on "differences" or simply would you like one. From your question: not able to try out concerts? And what DaveVisi says is right: which concerts because they vary between companies...as do sopranos. One thing that varies seldom spoken of or not enough IMO is neck width. I'm happy with the wider neck width on my Mainland sopranos.

Last edited:
Just got my first concert after playing only sopranos.,I've been playing a couple of years. I'm suprised how big the concert seems to me. Loads of room on the fingerboard.
I'm not sure I really like it. Part of the charm for me is the smallness of the soprano.
The concert seems more guitar like. Guitars seem gigantic now after playing only sopranos. I'm still not sure if I like the concert, but I've only had it a few days.

Aloha Pukulele Pete,
It's all personal preferances....I like all ukuleles in general!! for the soprano, I like the traditional sound..can't beat that..
As for the concert it has more volume and a sweeter tone....both work fine for me.. I'm sure in a while you'll get used
to it and find which songs or technique works well with it for you...maybe it's just a big change yet and it takes time
for you to get accustomed to your concert...enjoy the journey and get the feel of it....MM Stan...

If you need an justify the purchase then of course it is different enough.

In the future you will also need a tennor as they are different too!

I started on a soprano and I love the sound of the soprano, nothing to do with traditionalism, I simply find that the fun bright sound puts a smile on my face every time I pick it up. I then bought myself a concert size uke, the difference in size is not vast but enough to make it easier to play ( in my opinion ). However as much as I love my concert it does not have the brightness of the soprano that I love.However I have just bought myself a Kala Flame Maple Concert and while it stil has the size I like, it sounds just like a soprano, this is probably due to the solid spruce top. It is bright and loud. It also has a shape to the back of the body so does not feel as large as my other Makala concert. I tried the tenor size but the one I tried sounded like a small guitar and had lost a little of the Ukeness. I would agree with everyone who says if you get the chane to have a go do it. I tried about half a dozen ukes in my local shop and was in there a good hour or so, although to be honest the Kala was the second one I played and I had pretty much decided at that stage. I have attached some images of the size difference. The soprano is my Dolphin " Who-Kulele " which has 12 frets and the Kala Concert has 18.

Attachments

• front view.jpg
    front view.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 24
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 14
  • back view.jpg
    back view.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
get the one you havent already got?

I started soprano, and moved to Concert - similar to hold, but biggest bonus was extra frets for some high note noodling!

Thanks for all the input guys. Unfortunately I've yet to see a concert in person that I know of. Maybe I need to dig a little deeper for a better uke place in Montreal.

Just my opinion ,,, but if your doing chord strumming mostly,, soprano ,is great , if you have desire to go up the neck and do more fingerpicking ,concert seems a bit more comfy. But there is something about the sop charm , I think a person "needs" both
Steve

I'm a soprano person myself, but I think it comes down to personal preference. I have very small hands, so I find that I'm able to stretch and play most chords more easily on the soprano. I like concert too, but not as much. If you have larger hands or don't mind stretching your fingers a bit more, I'd probably recommend concert because, in general, it has more volume than soprano.

I've recently bought a concert and, although I don't think I'l ever love the size like I do sopranos, the initial 'It's so big!' feeling is receding.

To be honest, I'll probably never get much past strumming (partly because I don't have any interest in fancy fingerpicking (give me tUnE-yArDs over Jake Shimabukuro any day), mostly because I'll never be much good on anything with a fretboard :)) so won't really be using a concert to it's fullest, but the deeper tone and extra volume are nice and make a nice contrast to the sound of my fave soprano.

I don't think I'd buy anything other than a soprano again, but then having rejected a tenor at first play, and finding a concert pretty huge, I think maybe I'm just a soprano kind of guy. Your ukeage may vary...

Last edited:
Top Bottom