Has anyone ever heard of a Lanikai Model KOA-T ?

molinee

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Lanikai ever made a model that says... KOA-T in the soundhole and also says: Made in China inside the soundhole??
-tia

I have seen a concert. Said KOA-T and made in China. It was on a gold label inside the sound hole. The wood on the uke was grainy, not smooth like the Lanikai's ukes now. To me it appeared to be one of the very first ukes made by Lanikai. The worksmanship was not as nice as they have on their ukes now.

I have seen a concert. Said KOA-T and made in China. It was on a gold label inside the sound hole. The wood on the uke was grainy, not smooth like the Lanikai's ukes now. To me it appeared to be one of the very first ukes made by Lanikai. The worksmanship was not as nice as they have on their ukes now.

Thanks for the info..........

I believe the "T" denotes Tenor. Must be early, since Lanikai uses a different naming system now. Mom had a concert koa wood that had a very open grain. It's just the nature of the wood and I would not assume that it was more or less better than a smoother, tighter grain. I think all Lanikai are made in China. That being said, in my experience Lanikai is a perfectly acceptable instrument. I would look at the condition, quality of workmanship, and how it sounds.

The one I checked out could have been a tenor, don't really remember now. It was posted on Craigslist here on Kauai. I went to check it out because the title was Lanikai Koa Uke and he wanted $300 for it but didn't know much about it. I was hoping it was going to be the Lanikai's made by Kanilea. It wasn't. But it was a nice instrument, just not what I was looking for, and not at $300. Sorry, I don't have anymore input on the instrument itself.

Top Bottom