New Bari Fan

SamUke

Reaction score
I went to my local music store to see what I could get in trade for an Acoustic Bass guitar and walked out with a Lanikai S-B bari. This is my first Lanikai and I have been really impressed with the construction and more importantly sound of this thing. The intonation is dead on, the solid top is really really thin and vibrates very well, all in all I am impressed. If you are searching for a baritone you can get this model for 125-130 on the internets and you will not regret it.

How are you tuning it? I'm using gCEA on mine, and I love it.
Congrats!

Right now I have standard Aquila Bari strings DGBE and really like it but had to buy a chord book so I could quickly learn it. How does low g tuning sound on a Bari? I'm think that would be nice to use my current uke tabs with it. Does anybody know any good Bari sites?

I love the Bari - but I'm a Favilla man. I tune DGBE. I assume that if you are tuning GCEA that you are using low G. The sound of a baritone is just wonderful. Very warm and resonant. You also have more range - especially for classical music and picking.

Ruthen - Baritone Tabs

The best guy for baritone stuff that I know is Roger Ruthen. He had the Tab-U-Learn site, but I think he had to close it because of people hammering him on copyright issues. I copied a lot of his stuff before it closed down. Some of the stuff is on the following website.

http://baritoneukulelehunt.com/

Right now I have standard Aquila Bari strings DGBE and really like it but had to buy a chord book so I could quickly learn it. How does low g tuning sound on a Bari? I'm think that would be nice to use my current uke tabs with it. Does anybody know any good Bari sites?

try google ...Dr uke

Hello -- This is HumbleUker with HUMBLE BARITONICS INFO

I have also created Humble Baritonics which was a pretty lousy name since it never seems to come up on any search engines.

Humble Baritonics focuses 95% on the Baritone Ukulele. I have found a wide variety of players that have made good to excellent videos. I have links to Baritone tablature from Alistair Wood's Baritone Ukulele Hunt and a new Tri-Tabs site (which I strongly believe has links to R.R.). I also have links to Doctor Uke who makes song sheets for the Bari too.

I enjoy a wide range of music and will not leave out any genre. I have John Braman doing hip-hop Bari, Lew Dite doing folk ukulele, hippomaiden doing a sea shanty song, Lil' Rev doing some old time magic, Cliff Edwards (Ukelele Ike) on big 4-stringers, Arthur Godfrey from the 50's and 60's. Slack Key Baritone, Jazz Baritone, Some Jazzy uke lessons with Glen Rose. Oh! and the Polyjesters Band from Canada. Krista Muir.

I have also started a YT song list.

I welcome Bari players to come and take a look, make suggestions, leave a comment, let me know of other Bari links, chord solo info, etc...

Thanks
Jeff in SF Bay Area
http://humbleuker.blogspot.com/
http://humblebaritonics.blogspot.com/

You're all reminding me that I need to play my bari more!

Mine's an Oscar Schmidt tuned DGBE, but I'm thinking of getting another to tune GCEA and I do love my Lanikai tenor...

*sigh* My UAS is flaring...

I have one Bari tuned DGBE and another gCEA, and like them both. I do find that I tend to pick up the gCEA more often since I can use the chords I'm more used to playing. But they both sound good and are a interesting change from my other ukes. I also got a Lanikai recently (LU21-C) and have been quite impressed with the quality and playability for the price. Thanks to all for the Bari info, it's got me thinking I'll try play mine more often.

Hope the Favilla bari from ebay that I just paid for will be warm, resonant and wonderful.

The intonation is dead on, the solid top is really really thin and vibrates very well

Yep, that particular uke is a pretty nice value and Lanikai action is pretty nice straight from the factory. The spruce series are really their best performers until you get to the very top-of-the-line solid koas.

Yep, that particular uke is a pretty nice value and Lanikai action is pretty nice straight from the factory. The spruce series are really their best performers until you get to the very top-of-the-line solid koas.
I have the spruce Tenor and it's amazingly good, especially for the price.

I have my Bari tuned to GCEA Low G and love it. I just converted it and find that I now pick it up as much if not more than my tenors. There is something about the larger body giving a bit fuller sound. Mine is just an old Makala mahogany but has a wonderful warm rich sound. But don't get me wrong, I still love my tenors!! Lozark

gCEA tuning on my baritone made a huge difference to my ears. It's a lovely sound.

Just ordered a baritone last night! It was the one size that I've never had (although I have played it). I've decided the first song I'm going to learn with it is Clem Snide's cover of Faithfully...love this version.

Anyway, since I'm not sure how I'm going to take to it I went with a Makala MK-B...I figured I like my Makala Dolphin so hopefully this baritone isn't a let down. Anyone have any experience with the Makala MK-B?

I love it too. I knew I wanted a bari when I was shopping at MGM's eBay store, but musicguymic himself recommended the low G. It's worked out great for me.

Yeah Nuprin: I also have the Makala MK-B and love it. It has such a warm rich sound in the GCEA low G tuning. Actually for an inexpensive Uke it is well made and resonates well. Maybe it is the mahogany, but it has a very pleasant sound to the ear and great for accompanying singing. You will LOVE it. I got lazy and tuned to GCEA just so I wouldn't have to deal with chord renaming and fingering and it has worked out wonderfully. Lozark

Top Bottom