Alternate tunings, anyone?

escee

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here's tried out alternate tunings for the uke ... I've just started experimenting with GCDG (got the idea from DADGAD for guitar) ... gives it quite a Celtic feel which is interesting :)

Just dropping the treble down a step to GCEG puts you in the Uke version of "Taro Patch" or "Spanish" tuning (DGDGBD). That should open up some possibilities too.

try A D F# B...aka every string tuned up a whole step. known as canadian tuning.

Well,.....just for something different, I drop the A string down to a G. I use the same chord formations used to play 5 string banjo. And I use finger picks. It works all the way up the neck. I use a tenor most of the time.

You could also go a half step or two(full step) the other way(down) too...
that would work better on concerts and tenors....

I've tried some variants that make 7ths or minors (with low root) a straight barre. It's fun, but I always go back to gCEA, GCEA, and GDAE. I did recently pick up an old Ukulele Ike songbook, so as I play through that I'll be retuning quite a lot!

For something different, you might try replacing the A string with a low G string and tuning it to low A. You might like the lower tones, particularly if you think, say a soprano, is a bit bright.

I've done just that for a particular song. Although it's a full step lower, it's typically a tuning used for a Venezuelan four string Cavaquinho.

You can see (hear) a great example of a song in this tuning here (typical Cavaquinho tuning. Capo up two frets if you want to play along):

I once tried lowering the C string to A, turns everything into minor. Sounds good, though not that versatile.

Hello All,

Not sure how many of these you would classify as "Alternate", but our website has a "Guide to Tuning & Strings". We go through high re-entrant and linear (low fourth) tunings in six keys from Eflat to G. Also touch on low re-entrant (Cuatro) tuning and tuning in fifths. Here's the link:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/tunings.htm

Also if you skip back to the main site Instrument page, there are "tuning samples" of many of these at the bottom of each instrument's page.

Aloha Escee,
Something else I like to do is, If a particular uke sounds too bright I like to drop the tuning
a half or full step till I'm satisfied with the sound, If the uke is warm and rich I may adjust up
a little to bring out the brightness on the tone.. every ukulele has an individual tone, I
just make adjustments to accomadate for my own preference....

Aloha Escee,
Something else I like to do is, If a particular uke sounds too bright I like to drop the tuning
a half or full step till I'm satisfied with the sound, If the uke is warm and rich I may adjust up
a little to bring out the brightness on the tone.. every ukulele has an individual tone, I
just make adjustments to accomadate for my own preference....

Good suggestion, Stan ... never thought of that before but it makes sense :)

Great stuff everyone ... lots to try out now! :D

Stephen

Aloha Kekani,
Thanks for sharing da alternate tunings....is the pitch for these tunings directly on 440 each string
or do they have slight adjustments???? And what brand ukulele is Ledward playing?? Mahalo, Stan..

I've been learning to clawhammer some Old Time tunes using ACFG, which approximates the Sawmill or Mountain Minor tuning for clawhammer banjo. It's a little spooky sounding and fun to play in.

Aloha Kekani,
Didn't know you built ukuleles too..they look and sound awesome!! Ho brah, choke inlays on the fretboard...was that your work too!! Cool!
Are your builds on a limited amount per year???Also thanks for the tuning information...will check it out!!
Much Mahalo's in Advance...
MM Stan..

Last edited:
Top Bottom