Slingerland May-Bell banjolele

Nuprin

Reaction score
I stopped by work today to grab a few things...apparently a customer had stopped in earlier with a 1920's era Slingerland May-Bell banjolele. Knowing what a uke enthusiast I am, my boss gave me first dibs on it before it goes on the wall for sale.

Everything is in nice, playable condition (considering its age). The original head is warped but still playable. One of my coworkers mentioned it was missing its resonator but in my research into May-Bell banjoleles, I can't find anything showing it originally had a resonator (the ones I'm seeing for auction, etc. are all open back).

The model is the same shown at the bottom of this page.

It's being offered to me for $200. Hoping to get ideas on whether this is a good price and any information as to this banjolele. Thanks!

So I went ahead and bought it. After some research it seemed like a good price. It has an attachment for the resonator so I'm guessing it had one at one point. I need to work on the head to get the warped area tight (or find a replacement head so I can keep the original head safe). Anyway, on to the pics...

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

More...

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

And next to her big brother...a Waverly Street concert banjolele.

IMG_0065.jpg

NICE! I think you did well, from what I've seen those going for on eBay that seem to be a fair price. It looks very similar to my Nu-Way and seems to be from about the same time period. Do you by chance have a pic showing the tailpiece attachment, mine is missing and I'm trying to figure out how to attach it.

NICE! I think you did well, from what I've seen those going for on eBay that seem to be a fair price. It looks very similar to my Nu-Way and seems to be from about the same time period. Do you by chance have a pic showing the tailpiece attachment, mine is missing and I'm trying to figure out how to attach it.

I'll post a picture later today of the tailpiece.

I think $200 is a good price for that! I was searching for one just like it last summer. I'd scoop it up! I've put my banjolele quest on hold for awhile, because I need to make a Mainland my next purchase. It's going to be like a mecca experience, very blog worthy. Get that uke and enjoy it!

Kenikas, a couple pictures of the tailpiece. Hopefully it will help with yours.

photo.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

Top Bottom