PDA

View Full Version : Soprano Converts

brokenwing
06-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Perhaps because I came from a guitar background, I started off with a tenor. It seemed like a logical jumping off point - low G tuning with some additional fretboard room was sort of "guitar-like" and lots of people remarked on its versatility.

But I see a big interest in sopranos on the net and I wondered who among the UU faithful have experienced a change of heart and made the jump to soprano. The little uke may lend itself more towards a certain style of play - more strummed than fingerstyle, maybe? The Belgian YouTuber, Ukulelezaza is a monster fingerstyle player and all of his ukes are sopranos.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAcIGmVMTMs

I had to laugh reading UKISOCIETY's response to a vid of his Ohana Sopranino when a poster commented on the great sound, "I'm actually looking for something smaller." LOL. But I know where he's coming from - the little ukes have a huge charm.

koa
06-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Not a real but sort of convert. Never played a guitar. The 1st real uke I ordered was a KoAloha tenor. While waiting... and waiting... a concert became available. So I bought the concert. Really liked the concert. Started thinking maybe soprano. Picked up a 1st gen KoAlana soprano. Since then it has been acquisition of a concert scale KoAloha soprano and my 1st custom. A soprano King.
Don't really think the size is a factor in whether a uke is easier to fingerpick or not.

brokenwing
06-14-2008, 04:13 PM
koa, you like the longer scale of a concert over a soprano?

cMejilla
06-14-2008, 04:15 PM
i think i didnt used to like sopranos before because i didn't really know what i was doing with a uke. lol. i started off with a tenor, but now that i have a soprano and i've got some ground under my feet, i'm enjoying the smaller uke more and more.

Plainsong
06-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Ukulelezaza is amazing. He has some awesome ink on him as well, but yeah, he did a workshop with us in Helsinki and my head exploded. :)

I prefer concert, but I played a Howlett soprano that I'd totally flip for.

Lanark
06-15-2008, 01:52 AM
I'll know after Tuesday when the Kelii soprano arrives from MGM.

I've been really comfortable with a concert scale, but thought I'd give it a try. If worse comes to worst, the lovely wife can play it. She's got much smaller hands than I and it'd be nice if we both had nice instruments to play that once or twice a month I cajole her into trying to learn a bit.

deach
06-15-2008, 01:57 AM
I've tried to like playing the tenors and concerts. I've tried 9 or 10 times. damn it! but I always go back to the soprano.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1302/4819541/17784501/321408152.jpg

h-drix
06-15-2008, 03:17 AM
ive played a few tenors and concerts and never really liked them. They were gorgous though, a lankilia flame tenor and a pono concert. The sound isnt what i like though.

Nelson
06-15-2008, 05:34 AM
I went from playing bass guitar to soprano...that was quite a difference.
But now that I have a pretty good soprano, I want to try a tenor!
I was thinking electric so the answer sounds like it's gonna be a eleuke...

brokenwing
06-15-2008, 05:53 AM
ive played a few tenors and concerts and never really liked them. The sound isnt what i like though.h-drix, what strikes you most about the sound of a soprano?

h-drix
06-15-2008, 07:18 AM
I play many instraments, some more then others, all of which are bass heavy(cello, electric bass, guitar). i wanted something that didn't have so much darkness to it. The uke was the cheapest so i picked one up. so thats one thing. you picked up a uke that was close to something you were used to playing, i picked one that was on the other end of the spectrum.

the next it's something cant really explain. It just moves my soul in a way the other sizes dont. =p

its also not just the sound its also size, the fact that i can throw my uke in to a backpack (dont worry its nothing nice) and carry it around is awesome, with the large ukes it would get harder and harder.

SnakeOiler
06-15-2008, 10:55 AM
I went from playing bass guitar to soprano...that was quite a difference.
But now that I have a pretty good soprano, I want to try a tenor!
I was thinking electric so the answer sounds like it's gonna be a eleuke...

If you play bass, you'll love an Eleuke tenor. The neck is wide and square. Kind of like a Ric 4001.

lovemissheather
06-15-2008, 12:10 PM
Perhaps because I came from a guitar background, I started off with a tenor. It seemed like a logical jumping off point - low G tuning with some additional fretboard room was sort of "guitar-like" and lots of people remarked on its versatility.

But I see a big interest in sopranos on the net and I wondered who among the UU faithful have experienced a change of heart and made the jump to soprano. The little uke may lend itself more towards a certain style of play - more strummed than fingerstyle, maybe? The Belgian YouTuber, Ukulelezaza is a monster fingerstyle player and all of his ukes are sopranos.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAcIGmVMTMs

I had to laugh reading UKISOCIETY's response to a vid of his Ohana Sopranino when a poster commented on the great sound, "I'm actually looking for something smaller." LOL. But I know where he's coming from - the little ukes have a huge charm.

the first ukulele i ever played was a soprano. as of right now, i own two sopranos and a tenor. i guess it just depends on your personal preference. everyone's different, my friend :p

brokenwing
06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
everyone's different, my friend :p...and vive la difference, but what I'm interested in is what aspects of the soprano won players over from larger ukes.

deach
06-15-2008, 02:45 PM
For me, the sound. I liked the higher, plinkier sound. And for some reason, I felt it was easier to finger chords.

lovemissheather
06-16-2008, 09:21 AM
For me, the sound. I liked the higher, plinkier sound. And for some reason, I felt it was easier to finger chords.

agreed with the first part. i was originally a bass player, so i felt it was harder to finger chords on the smaller uke. however, after a while you get used to it and it becomes easier. however, for some songs i just have to use the tenor because the sop. is impossible.

but like i said... bass background...
soooooooooooo yeah. :)

nikolo727
06-16-2008, 09:24 AM
my first uke was a crappy hilo soprano. but if i hear a nice sounding soprano uke i will love it! howlin hobbits ukes are nice. I usually like the deeper and mellower sounds like a tenor or even a concert but i could rock a soprano if i wanted too lol.

lovemissheather
06-16-2008, 09:26 AM

agreed with the first part. i was originally a bass player, so i felt it was harder to finger chords on the smaller uke. however, after a while you get used to it and it becomes easier. however, for some songs i just have to use the tenor because the sop. is impossible.

but like i said... bass background...
soooooooooooo yeah. :)

SnakeOiler
06-16-2008, 02:56 PM
It's funny, my soprano has a fuller, fatter(dare I say deeper) tone than my tenor.