Soprano Converts

brokenwing

Reaction score
Perhaps because I came from a guitar background, I started off with a tenor. It seemed like a logical jumping off point - low G tuning with some additional fretboard room was sort of "guitar-like" and lots of people remarked on its versatility.

But I see a big interest in sopranos on the net and I wondered who among the UU faithful have experienced a change of heart and made the jump to soprano. The little uke may lend itself more towards a certain style of play - more strummed than fingerstyle, maybe? The Belgian YouTuber, Ukulelezaza is a monster fingerstyle player and all of his ukes are sopranos.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAcIGmVMTMs

I had to laugh reading UKISOCIETY's response to a vid of his Ohana Sopranino when a poster commented on the great sound, "I'm actually looking for something smaller." LOL. But I know where he's coming from - the little ukes have a huge charm.

Not a real but sort of convert. Never played a guitar. The 1st real uke I ordered was a KoAloha tenor. While waiting... and waiting... a concert became available. So I bought the concert. Really liked the concert. Started thinking maybe soprano. Picked up a 1st gen KoAlana soprano. Since then it has been acquisition of a concert scale KoAloha soprano and my 1st custom. A soprano King.
Don't really think the size is a factor in whether a uke is easier to fingerpick or not.

i think i didnt used to like sopranos before because i didn't really know what i was doing with a uke. lol. i started off with a tenor, but now that i have a soprano and i've got some ground under my feet, i'm enjoying the smaller uke more and more.

Ukulelezaza is amazing. He has some awesome ink on him as well, but yeah, he did a workshop with us in Helsinki and my head exploded. :)

I prefer concert, but I played a Howlett soprano that I'd totally flip for.

I'll know after Tuesday when the Kelii soprano arrives from MGM.

I've been really comfortable with a concert scale, but thought I'd give it a try. If worse comes to worst, the lovely wife can play it. She's got much smaller hands than I and it'd be nice if we both had nice instruments to play that once or twice a month I cajole her into trying to learn a bit.

I've tried to like playing the tenors and concerts. I've tried 9 or 10 times. damn it! but I always go back to the soprano.

321408152.jpg

Last edited:
ive played a few tenors and concerts and never really liked them. They were gorgous though, a lankilia flame tenor and a pono concert. The sound isnt what i like though.

I went from playing bass guitar to soprano...that was quite a difference.
But now that I have a pretty good soprano, I want to try a tenor!
I was thinking electric so the answer sounds like it's gonna be a eleuke...

I play many instraments, some more then others, all of which are bass heavy(cello, electric bass, guitar). i wanted something that didn't have so much darkness to it. The uke was the cheapest so i picked one up. so thats one thing. you picked up a uke that was close to something you were used to playing, i picked one that was on the other end of the spectrum.

the next it's something cant really explain. It just moves my soul in a way the other sizes dont. =p

its also not just the sound its also size, the fact that i can throw my uke in to a backpack (dont worry its nothing nice) and carry it around is awesome, with the large ukes it would get harder and harder.

Last edited:
I went from playing bass guitar to soprano...that was quite a difference.
But now that I have a pretty good soprano, I want to try a tenor!
I was thinking electric so the answer sounds like it's gonna be a eleuke...

If you play bass, you'll love an Eleuke tenor. The neck is wide and square. Kind of like a Ric 4001.

Perhaps because I came from a guitar background, I started off with a tenor. It seemed like a logical jumping off point - low G tuning with some additional fretboard room was sort of "guitar-like" and lots of people remarked on its versatility.

But I see a big interest in sopranos on the net and I wondered who among the UU faithful have experienced a change of heart and made the jump to soprano. The little uke may lend itself more towards a certain style of play - more strummed than fingerstyle, maybe? The Belgian YouTuber, Ukulelezaza is a monster fingerstyle player and all of his ukes are sopranos.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAcIGmVMTMs

I had to laugh reading UKISOCIETY's response to a vid of his Ohana Sopranino when a poster commented on the great sound, "I'm actually looking for something smaller." LOL. But I know where he's coming from - the little ukes have a huge charm.

the first ukulele i ever played was a soprano. as of right now, i own two sopranos and a tenor. i guess it just depends on your personal preference. everyone's different, my friend :p

For me, the sound. I liked the higher, plinkier sound. And for some reason, I felt it was easier to finger chords.

For me, the sound. I liked the higher, plinkier sound. And for some reason, I felt it was easier to finger chords.

agreed with the first part. i was originally a bass player, so i felt it was harder to finger chords on the smaller uke. however, after a while you get used to it and it becomes easier. however, for some songs i just have to use the tenor because the sop. is impossible.

but like i said... bass background...
soooooooooooo yeah. :)

my first uke was a crappy hilo soprano. but if i hear a nice sounding soprano uke i will love it! howlin hobbits ukes are nice. I usually like the deeper and mellower sounds like a tenor or even a concert but i could rock a soprano if i wanted too lol.

agreed with the first part. i was originally a bass player, so i felt it was harder to finger chords on the smaller uke. however, after a while you get used to it and it becomes easier. however, for some songs i just have to use the tenor because the sop. is impossible.

but like i said... bass background...
soooooooooooo yeah. :)

Top Bottom