New Tenor Electric

thistle3585

Reaction score
Its nice to get back to building something within my comfort zone. Here are some shots of a Tenor semi-hollow electric I'm building for a fellow in AU. It will be steel strings.Koa top, mahogany back and neck, rosewood fret board and headstock veneer with ablam inlay. It will have a humbucker with a three way switch. I'm experimenting with an internal headphone amp but I don't know if it will make it on this one. Thanks for looking.

100_2585.jpg100_2590.jpg100_2584.jpg

Aloha Andrew,
They look awesome, and very expensive..and with steel strings???Just worried about the high tension on the neck...
Thanks for sharing...MM Stan..

I guess it depends on what you consider expensive to be but I think a custom built instrument under $600 is pretty inexpensive. I have no concerns about the string tension. There's twice the tension on a mandola neck at about the same scale without issue, plus this has a truss rod. I always include a truss rod in my electrics, although I don't think its necessary on the shorter scales, but it seems to make people happy.

There are some in process photos of it here. http://www.crossroadswood.com/shop.html

WOW, great instrument!! I like the finish and wood choice. What kind of finish did you use?

Some people think we do this JUST for fun. There is a lot of fun but the best part is banking shortly after hearing the words "That's just amazing..."

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

Jazz, the finish is a coat of amber shellac followed by lacquer. That's pretty standard on all my instruments.

Top Bottom