Grizzly Kit question

byzkarl

Reaction score
I've ordered a Grizzly uke kit, and can't wait to get started. I gave my Lanikai soprano to my daughter, and so need another soprano.I've never really built anything out of wood before, and am a bit nervous.

I have a question on the directions: Is it really necessary to do the finishing of the body _before_ attaching the bridge? Can't you just glue the bridge down, and then apply the stain and finish?

I'm worried about the finish leaking onto the bridge location, as it warns in the directions. It seems to me it would be simpler just to put the bridge on first.

I used a bit of painters tape cut the the same shape as the bridge but a bit smaller. I put 4 cans of laquer over it with no trouble with leaks under it. Y ou will have to cut the laquer before you pull the tape.

Last edited:
You can seal the painters tape with a layer (equally cut to size) of electrical tape. That will probably do the trick and keep it from bleeding through. For the most part, I think you will be good if you don't use overly thick coats of lacquer.

~DB

You can seal the painters tape with a layer (equally cut to size) of electrical tape. That will probably do the trick and keep it from bleeding through. For the most part, I think you will be good if you don't use overly thick coats of lacquer.

~DB

Have you done any builing? If so I would love to see some pictures.

I don't mask the bridge area before finishing. Just scrape off the finish before gluing.
1. Finish and polish
2. tape the bridge area and position the bridge on the tape
3. LIGHTLY trace the bridge with a pencil on the tape. (don't press hard or it will leave a mark in the finish)
4. Cut the bridge area out of the tape with a sharp knife. Stay inside the line
5. Scrape or sand off the finish under the bridge
6. Glue the bridge in place
7. Remove left over tape after 20min or so. Clean any squeeze out. (easier to do before the glue really hardens)

No, no building as of yet when it comes to instruments. I do a lot of wood work in other areas. Though, I have a lot of resources on lutheir work and that would have been my approach. I like ksquine's too.

~DB

This is how mine played out:

MayandSBtrip2010100.jpg

The tape covered about 90% of the gluing area under the bridge, so yes, there is a little lacquer under there...not the end of the world...I would have wet sanded BEFORE I mounted the bridge if I were to do it again...

Here it is during glue-up...

MayandSBtrip2010190.jpg

And after...
June2010JeepSiennaUkepics017.jpg

Success! I finished the kit today. It's not the prettiest--I think I could have chosen better finish than I used, but it is done and _plays in tune_! Hooray!

I've been playing John King's "Famous Solos and Duets for Ukulele" with it all morning. It has a nice, cheery tone with the Aquilas I put on it.

As we say here on the forums.....

Pics, or it didn't happen! :D

Okay, here's a video of the ukulele. I'm pleased that it was succesful. My wife thinks I'm a little crazy, though, since this is ukulele number 3 for me.

Only number 3??? lol
It looks good! Very nice playing, too. BTW, is that a trumpet mute on the bookcase next to your left shoulder? Wait... what IS that thing? It seems familiar, but not a trumpet mute, is it? I don't play trumpet but used to be in a band with a trumpeter....

Last edited:
Yes. I've got lots of trumpets too, although I don't get to play much anymore. Children and work get in the way, not that I'm complaining.

Okay... whew! My first thought was "That is a trumpet mute", but then the more I thought about it the more I thought I was nuts!

Dear byzkari

Very nice job on building it and nice ukulele playing as well.
Could you please share with me which kind of finish did you use and where did you get it?

I also just ordered a grizzly kit and I am trying to gather all the necessary tools or materials to build this kit.
Thank you a lot.

Dear byzkari

Very nice job on building it and nice ukulele playing as well.
Could you please share with me which kind of finish did you use and where did you get it?

Sure. Minwax Polyshades Stain and Polyurethane in 1 step, Classic Oak Gloss 470. It was easy, since it contains stain and polyurethane, but I must have done something wrong because I have drips. I'm not too upset, because my woodworking experience is close to zero.

You need some clamps, and some way to strap the neck to the body. I used a 24" flat bungy cord.

Top Bottom