Reunited at last!

ukebeatsguitar

Reaction score
Yesterday, I found that I'm getting my grandpa's old Islander back. It was my first uke, and I'm super excited to have it back. I love the sound of the plastic uke, and no remakes could ever come close to the Maccaferri.

So, what's your opinion on Islanders, and what strings do you suggest for a sixty year old plastic ukulele?

Yesterday, I found that I'm getting my grandpa's old Islander back. It was my first uke, and I'm super excited to have it back. I love the sound of the plastic uke, and no remakes could ever come close to the Maccaferri.

So, what's your opinion on Islanders, and what strings do you suggest for a sixty year old plastic ukulele?

It was my first ukulele, I had mch fun with it.....was too young to fully appriciate
it's beautiful sound....but enjoyed it very much...I'm happy that you got your
grandpa's uke back since you will use it and benefit from it the most...I hope you
thanked your relatives for their thoughtfulness, understanding and kindness.
MM Stan...

Congratulations, how sweet!
You should probably be very careful putting new strings on it. Check Alan UKISOCIETY for advice, he appears to be the expert on plastic ukes.

I think I'll just tune it to GCEA and tune my other soprano up. And it already has a great big crack in the back. Will super glue work for that?

I have a Fin-Der Diamond head plastic uke of about the same age. I bought it with a set of Worth Browns on and it sounds great, very bright sounding and loud too. No idea what other strings would sound like but I guess Aquilas would be great too. I've had it about three months and it's the uke I play the most at the moment.

Cheers,
Ian.

I believe our UU resident plastic guru Ukisociety uses Martin fluorocarbons on his plastics. I put Worth brown lights on mine and it sounds decent.

I have Aquilas on my Islander soprano and they sound very nice. Mine had been repaired when I got it. It had a big crack in the back, and in fact, the neck and fingerboard had been repaired too. I don't know what kind of glue they used, but it seems to have done the job very well, if a little sloppily.

i've played a few plastic ukes over the years and i've got to say some of them are surprisingly wonderful player ukes. from the looks alone it doesn't appear that it'll give you the 'bark' that you want but when paired with a good set of strings, these ukes play great!

shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

Top Bottom