I just got a Lanakai zebra wood concert uke

jtafaro

Reaction score
I just received a Lanakai zebra wood Concert uke from Roy Cone. After tightening the aquilas for three hours it is starting to sound very nice. Its not as resonant as my Ohana CK35G but that uke is a year old and has been played in more. The Lanakai will mellow out quickly I think. I put aquilas on my cigar box uke from papa's bokes and the sound changed dramatically. I have them on all my ukes now. I have a Fender tenor with a low G string but aquilas' wound G lasts no time and I used a Pro Arte D classical guitar string and like the sound. Has anyone out there had any experience with zebra wood either Ohana or Lanakai? The slotted head iks bigger than the Ohana concert's head and is easier to tune. I think I would have preferred a gloss or semigloss finish. This has a matte finish but it won't show fingerprints.

I just received a Lanakai zebra wood Concert uke from Roy Cone. After tightening the aquilas for three hours it is starting to sound very nice. Its not as resonant as my Ohana CK35G but that uke is a year old and has been played in more. The Lanakai will mellow out quickly I think. I put aquilas on my cigar box uke from papa's bokes and the sound changed dramatically. I have them on all my ukes now. I have a Fender tenor with a low G string but aquilas' wound G lasts no time and I used a Pro Arte D classical guitar string and like the sound. Has anyone out there had any experience with zebra wood either Ohana or Lanakai? The slotted head iks bigger than the Ohana concert's head and is easier to tune. I think I would have preferred a gloss or semigloss finish. This has a matte finish but it won't show fingerprints.

Zebra wood is great. We carry Ohana's concert and soprano Zebra and they sound fantastic. Zebra wood is tough for a luthier to work with as it splinters badley. We also started to carry the Vineyard Zebra tenor. I love the striking patterns that pop out from this tonewood. Ohana and Vineyard both have a nice gloss.

I have an Ohana Zebra-wood soprano and very recently bought the concert version. I really like worth browns on the soprano. It warmed it up nicely. I'll try them on the concert when I get a chance. For a lower cost uke, I think Zebra wood is hard to beat. It is also very cool how they all look different.

Both of mine are gloss finish and look just perfect.

I like the Worth Brown strings on my Ohana Zebrawood soprano. I tried Worth Clear, and Aquila, but there was a bit of a harsh edge to the tone with those strings on that Ukulele, and even though the tuner said it was in tune, it seemed a bit off. The Worth Browns seemed to fix that. I think it will also "open up" after playing it awhile. I noticed a difference after 5 months, but I play several other ukes, so your timing might go faster.

–Lori

I have gotten the zebrawood uke to more or less stay in tune and made a you tube video with it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4VAxtywTXw Its a real joy to play My Kala KA-C is going to my grqandson tomorrow. He is 4 and I am getting him to sing at the coffee house now. I just have to teach him to sing on key and in tune. I started playing the uke so he could one day play it. I may have created a monster. Its out there and is called UAS.

Top Bottom