GLeaned from James Hill's workshops

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I think MM stan asked me to summarize what I gleaned from James Hill during his beginners and intermediate workshop.

First off, a good instructor will spark your interest, no matter what the content and no matter if its from a video or a book or a CD. I like to hear the seeds of knowledge that an instuctor provides.

As such, James Hill feels the uke is still not tapped out on the potential. He seems to be constantly trying to find "the secrets still inside" and he seems to be always learning and chasing passions. He pretty says to explore the uke.

He thinks the Uke is a great tool to teach singing and harmonizing group songs.

He thinks jazz chords are easier than people think. He's all for jazzing up songs with jazz chords, rhythms, and tricks like "the scrub chords".

He has stong opinions about keeping the right hand in the same motion like an idling car engine. He states he uses the left hand to "squeeze out the music" while the right hand establishes a steady beat.

He taught the basics but it obviously seems that instructors - face to face, personal instructors can help out. Basically, he pointed out that tabs and music sheets LOOK hard but he showed he could teach a song structure in 5 minutes. So, it seems those instruction videos on youtube obviously will have a means to get things rolling vs. reading sheet music.

Basically, play with the melody, harmony, and rhythm. Nothing is cast in stone. play and sing.

ahhhh yes, sing. He gave an example of capturing the soul of the song. DOn't just play the notes, imagine why the song was made and caption the original emotion of the song and sing it like that.

Sure, there were lots more and I could talk about what music theory he spoke about but, that is the gist.

He said obsession and practice perseverence will yield rewards.

practice until it becomes second nature.

Great stuff! I'll be attending James' workshop at the Wine Country 'Ukulele Festival in September. Nice to get this as a prelude. I'm really looking forward to it.

Doug

Aloha SuzukHammer,
Many thanks for the breif summary of James Hill's Ukulele Workshops it gives us an idea what
knowledge to be gained there, possibly attracting more of our UU members to it. His own personal
ukulele theory experience has much to be gained and gives us an eye into his perspective of learning
the instrument that we all love. His generosity to share will reap the rewards to all of us now and in
the future. Mahalo Much, MM Stan

I suggest to anybody to see James' concert or show. Mine was 1-1/2 hours and seen before the workshops. And its a great show.

I never thought I'd spend money to see one person on stage for 1-1/2 hours with 2 ukuleles. Never. But, to actually leave the venue well satisfied was refreshing.

I remember seeing a Neil Young show where he was solo but with some digital backup music and it was a disaster. James show was an audio treat and he is funny and a good dude.

Last edited:
Top Bottom